First time to the range with the 10mm. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BCD 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

First time to the range with the 10mm.

I cleaned and lubed my brand new Custom II in 10mm before heading to the range. I brought along 100 rounds of Sig 180 flat point ammo. Four FTFs in the first 10 rounds. I know, you gotta break 'em in. As I worked through the first box it got better. Only had one or two in the second box. The round's nose was resting on the feed ramp. A tap on the back of the slide brought it into battery. When I got home and broke it down for cleaning I noticed that the feed ramp was not as polished as some of my other pistol. I'm thinking it's Dremel and Flitz time. This is my first Kimber and frankly I'm a little surprised I have to do this.
TXscooterguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

That's the first thing when I do with any semi auto I buy. Before I even try to shoot it.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #3

TXscooter,

That's one of my Kimber *itches. A quality firearm at that price point, YOU SHOULDN'T TO WORK ON IT WHEN BRAND NEW. How long and how much do you think it would cost Kimber to send out a nice polished feed ramp.

I sill have Kimber's, like Kimber's, and just bought another new Kimber, but it still *isses me off to no end to have to look and fix things that should have already been done at the factory.

Personally I like Kimbers for their looks and the barrel size and weight of their Pro's and Ultra's. I like 3 & 4" barreled pistols, the reason for having Kimber's. I would never ever purchase a 5" government size Kimber, I'd step up to a Dan Wesson.

And this is going to tick off some people but I would NEVER carry a Kimber to defend my family and myself until a qualified 1911 gunsmith went through it and fixed everything that should have been done at the factory before shipping it out.

I don't mean to bash anybody, you are a great bunch of guy/gals, but everyone can have their opinion and do. Thanks guys.

Jim D
Cucamonga kid likes this.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:40 AM   #4

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
A quality firearm at that price point, YOU SHOULDN'T TO WORK ON IT WHEN BRAND NEW. How long and how much do you think it would cost Kimber to send out a nice polished feed ramp.
A friend shoots an Infinity 1911 in competitive matches. The basic pistol starts above $4,200 and can go much higher. And the pistol only comes with one magazine! I didn't expect hand built quality but I was always told that Kimber was a top flight pistol. I guess I was lead to expect a more finished pistol. I polished the feed ramp and will take it to the range in a day or so. I'll report back.
TXscooterguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:38 AM   #5

Originally Posted by TXscooterguy View Post
A friend shoots an Infinity 1911 in competitive matches. The basic pistol starts above $4,200 and can go much higher. And the pistol only comes with one magazine! I didn't expect hand built quality but I was always told that Kimber was a top flight pistol. I guess I was lead to expect a more finished pistol. I polished the feed ramp and will take it to the range in a day or so. I'll report back.
Good luck at the range.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #6

Kimbers are high quality, mass produced American made 1911s. They offer a tremendous amount of features for the price and basic quality and tolerances are good. But they are not custom by any means and they use a number of parts in all their guns because they are drop in to save money (like the series 80 firing pin block). Mass production at work.

I consider lower tiered Kimbers a steal for what you get. You get into the much higher priced stuff I would start looking at DW and some others.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
Welcome to the club. I had to polish the feed ramp and chamber of my Micro 9 to prevent cartridges from hanging up on the feed ramp. The feed ramp on my SS Micro 9 was one of the roughest I've seen in any pistol. My Dremel and Flitz took care of the problem in 10 Minutes. Been looking at Kimbers in a different light after that.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

That's just ridiculous to me even if it's only a 10 minute job. Before being assembled it probably would have took someone at Kimber 2-3 minutes to do that and some people simply don't have the time or tools needed to fix that.

BCD 45
Old 05-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
I will look very closely at the next Kimber I buy, if I buy another Kimber.

QUOTE=BCD 45;918420]That's just ridiculous to me even if it's only a 10 minute job. Before being assembled it probably would have took someone at Kimber 2-3 minutes to do that and some people simply don't have the time or tools needed to fix that.

BCD 45
[/QUOTE]
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote