What about those Expensive 1911s - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Talking What about those Expensive 1911s

I am just curious.
I have no intention of buying one. But what is it that makes those expensive"custom" 1911s, like Wilson, worth the money and wait time.
I have read on several Forums that these are far higher quality than Kimber. It is difficult for me to imagine. that the expensive guns are more accurate.
Is it just a matter of ego..? Status?
wildbillbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

I think they can be more precise. Accuracy is more up you and your abilities.
Richard and Deputy347k9 like this.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
Banned

Tighter tolerances. In practice no real difference. I still want one, but not possible yet. If you're a millionaire/billionaire and $cash is used to start the firestove kindle, why not...
MPO Southy likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

Good question WildBill. I would like to shoot a Ed Brown or Wilson. I like a few of the Ed Brown models, I don't think I would want to wait for a Wilson and don't know if one is better than the other. Worth the money not sure about that either.
I have even had a Ed Brown picked out but the more I looked at the price and got to thinking you know I can buy three Kimbers or maybe even four regular pistols for the price of one Ed Brown I backed out and put those thoughts on the back burner.
glokrok likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #5

I have seen some of these "custom" pistols on gunbroker for not a whole lot more than the most pricey Kimbers. These are obviously used. But, if well cared for, should be as good as new and come a lot faster than ordering one from the makers.
2sharp2 likes this.
wildbillbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #6

They have tighter tolerances, and are hand tuned by real gunsmiths.
Insta-Gator and Richard like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #7

I own two (2) semi-automatic handguns chambered in .45 ACP: A Kimber Custom Pro CDP II and a Springfield Armory XD-45.

If I needed to make a head shot against a bad guy (terrorist, for example) wearing body armor, I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot with my Kimber. It is a precise weapon. Its precision will compensate for my inherent inaccuracies. The XD-45, on the other hand, is not sufficiently precise that I would try a head shot, even at seven yards, if my life was on the line. If you add the imprecision of the gun to the inaccuracy of the shooter, the resulting POI could differ from the intended POA by as much as 6". That's enough to miss a head shot. Just my 2.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #8

Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
I have seen some of these "custom" pistols on gunbroker for not a whole lot more than the most pricey Kimbers. These are obviously used. But, if well cared for, should be as good as new and come a lot faster than ordering one from the makers.
Like you I have seen those on GunBroker and have been very tempted by mostly lower than MSRP pricing. Probably if I was going to buy an Ed Brown I would consider searching for a used "Custom" but it might be difficult to find the model that I would be wanting.
I am not afraid of used weapons, that's not to say I haven't bought a few crappy ones in my time but on the other hand I have bought a lot of good even great weapons in the past.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #9

Wink There's a reason....

Well, Bill, there is a good reason for the price difference between a Kimber and one of the premium/custom 1911's. While the Kimber is a top of the line, extremely close tolerance, assembly line manufactured 1911 pistol, the premium Ed Brown, Les Baer and Wilson pistols are built to even closer tolerances and all parts are hand fitted, polished and adjusted for optimum fit, reliability and function. The technicians that perform this type of work are not demand/ quantity oriented. They are highly skilled quality/precision oriented workers. They do not come cheap!!

While the Kimber will outshoot nearly all other assembly line pistols, in a head to head comparison, in the hands of a "pro-quality" shooter such as Jerry Miculek, Doug Koenig or Rob Leatham or clamped in a machine rest, the premium pistol will always outshoot the Kimber. Most of us mere mortals could not hope to tell the difference as we happily thrash away at our favorite range.

Is it worth the difference in price? I can only speak for myself. My Kimber Pro Carry II already shoots better than I can. I have four grandkids to blow my spare change on. My best competition shooting days are behind me and my Kimber and Smith & Wesson pistols will work just fine for self defense.. So, buy a premium pistol? Nah, don't think so. If someone was giving one away, would I take it?? You damn right I would.

As for others, if you are involved in high level competition shooting, you sure as hell want a premium pistol. You want every advantage you can get. Just remember, a 1/16" will crack that line and give you the 10 instead of the 9. A few extra points here or there can make you the winner instead of the 1st place loser!! That is the world of big time competition shooting.

Is a premium pistol needed for self defense. Probably not. Over the years, I have found that with guns and most other things, you get what you pay for. When I worked part time in a gun shop back in the '80's, a customer asked me how much he should spend on a self defense handgun. My answer was, "How much do you like you?" That was when I showed him the $600 6 inch Smith and Wesson Model 66 .357 Magnum that I was carrying!!!
S&W M-66.jpg
I told him, "I like me a lot!!!" The Kimber is fully capable of handling your self defense needs. That is unless you want to be like Hallmark when it comes to defensive shooting....."When you care enough to shoot them with the very best!!" (With apologies to the Hall family, in Kansas City.)
MPO Southy and glokrok like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 07-18-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

I feel the itch every now and then to buy a custom and someday may scratch it. Heck, I bought a Python with a perfectly good 686 Plus already in the safe. Sometimes you just have to scratch it!
Lineman likes this.