Kimber Talk Forums banner

EVO rebate?!!

3K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  CPLO788 
#1 ·
#15 ·
I got my Pro Carry from them, they were awesome. Even after the post man decided he wanted the gun for himself, they were great to work with.

They seem to be a huge on line Kimber dealer they have a lot of Kimbers at some of the best prices I have found, so they must be getting pretty good volume discounts.

I really like the EVO my hang up is the price, it seems too high for what it is. The rebate is interesting...and it shows that Kimber missed it with the price point. Micro 9's can be had for 500 why on earth is an EVO near 900 when introduced?

#9 ·
I have flashbacks of Solo every time I see pictures of the EVO.

Yes, I've heard/read the claim from Kimber and others that they are totally different but this old fat guy ain't buying it, the gun or the claim. Sorry

But I am interested in any range reports on the EVO, hoping it is a success.

#12 ·
I'd like to see it succeed for the sake of Kimber's reputation. However, I don't buy 1st generation pistols for self defense, unless they are derived from a proven platform.

For example, I bought an early M&P Shield 9 (and it has been perfectly dependable), BUT it was a mini M&P which had been around for a long time. It was also sub-$400.

#13 ·
If this gun isn’t selling fast enough and Kimber is already offering a $100 rebate than by next year they should be heavily discounted.
I really don’t have any interest in this gun but if I did get the opportunity to shoot one maybe it would change my mind. I still wouldn’t spend $700 or more on one. Giving an instant rebate might help sales.

#16 ·
Wow $589 after rebate at Smokey Mountain and it isn't even the base model, it has night sights. I'll admit at $589 it is tempting. That is around Micro 9 pricing and I am thinking the EVO is a better gun. Too early to know for sure but so far indications are very good.

https://www.smga.com/kimber/evo-sp-two-tone-ns-9mm-4848

#19 ·
I've got to wonder about the "better gun" thinking??? You may be correct but that may be premature? They very well may wind up being something special but I'm going to need to see how they hold up. I don't believe we've seen any reviews where there have been more than 500 rounds through one. I'm not surprised there's a rebate, things look to be on the quiet side overall sales wise judging from the parking lot at my LGS?

#20 ·
Of course there could be longer term wear or parts failure issues with the EVO, but new gun design flaws generally show up pretty quick. The myriad of problems with Solo were often reported after the first range outing.

After what could well be described as a colossal failure, I'd be surprised if Kimber wasn't overly determined to not repeat. Kimber's marketing guy made it clear that EVO shared nothing with Solo. I'd guess that attitude to not copy failure was the overriding theme from the inception of EVO.

#23 ·
Of course there could be longer term wear or parts failure issues with the EVO, but new gun design flaws generally show up pretty quick. The myriad of problems with Solo were often reported after the first range outing.

After what could well be described as a colossal failure, I'd be surprised if Kimber wasn't overly determined to not repeat. Kimber's marketing guy made it clear that EVO shared nothing with Solo. I'd guess that attitude to not copy failure was the overriding theme from the inception of EVO.
Absolutely, Kimber needed to redeem themselves after the Solo. I think that's a given. We haven't seen any reports of EVOs coming apart at the seams so there's that...
On the EVO what makes it tick? In other words is it more or less a copy of something already proven or more of a unique design? It sure doesn't really resemble anything that comes to mind other than the dread Solo!

#21 ·
I agree it's too early to pronounce the EVO an overwhelming success, but virtually all the early reports are positive. Certainly not the case with the Solo, and the Micro 9 unfortunately seems to have issues at an above average rate. Nothing against Kimber, this seems to be true with all the mini "1911 style" carry guns. My Sig for example was a disaster.

Reactions: cousinmark
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.