Just bought my 5th Kimber - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 PM  

Yes 5 Kimber 1911’s! A year ago I only had one 1911 that I had custom built thirty years ago to shoot IPSC. A year ago I would have said this was obsessive but now looking in my safe I see it a different way. In total I own 5 Kimber's, Micro 9, Pro TLE 45, Eclipse Target 38 super, Ultra carry two tone 45 and my latest of yesterday, a 9mm Aegis Ultra, a Springfield RO SS Target 9mm, Colt LW Commander xse in 38 super and custom built 45.

Let me start by saying I purchased all but my custom 45 in the past 12 months. None have had any issues of any sort, Colt, Springfield and all the Kimber’s. Ive run mostly hand-loads through all with the exception of the Micro 9. From the first round through the last I fired through each, none have malfunctioned in any way. I’ve fed them FMJ’s, semi wad cutters and HP’s from very light loads to scorching hot in the ones with a supported chamber. Hand-loads and factory in lead, plated and FMJ’s, no problems.

Ok let’s get down to my impression of my new Ultra Aegis. I live just ten minutes from a nice small range and this afternoon grabbed my new acquisition and 100 rounds of custom loads I won in an IPSC match several years ago. The loads were minor power factory but can’t tell you the velocity of the 125gr lead RN bullet but I shot a couple of Winchester FMJ’s and the IPSC loads were stiffer. Also the powder used by the loader burned rather dirty and left a good bit of Kurd in the gun.

100 rounds down range firing at different rates caused no malfunctions. Accuracy was very good at 50 and 25ft. All shots were offhand and accuracy was comparable to my other 1911’s, excellent.

I was unprepared for how soft the pistol shoots. My other Ultra is a 45 and have been used to the harder recoil of 45’s. I’m a huge fan of aggressive front strap checkering to help in recoil control when rapid firing. Although I wouldn’t say the Aegis checkering is aggressive, it is more than adequate and really aids when your hands are sweaty like today when it’s 95 degrees with 85% humidity like it was today.

One of the reasons I bought it besides the checkering was the fiber optic sights. I’ve become a real pan of FO sights and these are superb.

I’m planning on carrying this and another reason I purchased it is how beautifully blended the contours are and how edges are nicely rounded. I don’t believe you’d have any snags.

The finish is beautiful and flawless. Everything looks nicely finished with a tight slide to frame fit. Tight slide to frame fit is one thing Ive noticed about Kimber compared to others especially Colt.

I started out to buy a Colt Defender instead of the Aegis. It was nothing more than I just wanted another Colt. I’m fortunate that I live just a short drive from two huge gun stores, Smoky Mountain Guns & Ammo and Buds Guns. My wife’s a shooter too so yesterday we headed out to compare the Colt and the Aegis. When I compared the two, there was no comparison. The Kimber was so much nicer finished and refined. Edges and corners on the Colt are sharp and would chew up a holster pretty quickly. The finish wasn’t anything special and rather dull (stainless slide and aluminum frame). The sights were conventional 3 dot and the trigger on the Kimber surpassed the Colt. The Kimber was lighter and no creep at all. Matter of fact it’s approaching a custom trigger job. It’s by far the best out of the box I’ve seen. I actually picked my pistol from two that they had. There was virtually no difference between the two.

I’m not sure what more I can say other than I’m the very happy owner of 5 Kimber pistols. All have functioned perfectly from the first round through shooting 1000+ Roundsthrough each.

Just a note, I run my 1911’s wet using CLP. I’m also meticulous about cleaning and thoroughly clean each pistol after each range trip no matter how many rounds are fired. I’m also big on the proper spring for the load and when shooting heavy loads I use a shock buffer. Years ago I cracked a Caspian double stack frame under a custom 38 super race gun. I used a shock buffer in it but was running to light a spring, now looking ack at it. So now I’m very protective of beating the frame up.

All I can say is keep it clean and lubed and treat it with respect and it’ll serve you well.

Last edited by .38SuperMan; 07-15-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 PM  

38Superman, Congrats! My fellow Tennessee neighbor your on a downhill slope.
In 2014 I only owned 1 Kimber 1911, I believe current count is at 16, they are listed in my signature. It would be 17 but I sold a Sapphire Pro 9mm to a KT friend/member who wanted it worse than I needed it.

Very nice range report and history.

It's a buyers market my friend.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 PM  

Until last summer I’d not paid much attention to Kimber. Springfield and Colt were the names I gravitated to. Really it just took looking closely at one and I was hooked.

As we walked out of SMGA carrying #5 I told my wife this is the last one im going to buy as she rolled he eyes and laughed. But, if Kimber built a 38 Super in the Ultra frame I’d be tempted.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 2 others like this.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:11 AM  
Super Moderator

Great report, I'd say you're hooked.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 AM  

Neat story. If I lived within driving distance of SMGA I'd be bankrupt.
2sharp2, JC45 and Bigdog like this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 AM  

SMGA have an amazing inventory but I believe Buds has more. I noticed last trip Buds carries pistols like Wilson and Les Baer which I’ve never seen in a store before.

The downside of Buds, not tried SMGA, is trading with them. I tried trading a couple of like new guns I inherited and the trade allowance was very low. Cash though is king and new prices are great. My Aegis was $869 before tax. The ultra two tone runs $629 before tax at SMGA. Typically SMGA is a touch cheaper but not always. Being only a couple hundred yards apart makes it convenient to compare though.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:03 AM  

Originally Posted by .38SuperMan View Post
another reason I purchased it is how beautifully blended the contours are and how edges are nicely rounded. I dont believe youd have any snags.

The finish is beautiful and flawless. Everything looks nicely finished with a tight slide to frame fit. Tight slide to frame fit is one thing Ive noticed about Kimber compared to others especially Colt.

House rules there SuperMan!! PIX or it didn't happen! (Use the Manage attachments button below
(Oh, and welcome to KT!)
El
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 AM  

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
38Superman, Congrats! My fellow Tennessee neighbor your on a downhill slope.
In 2014 I only owned 1 Kimber 1911, I believe current count is at 16, they are listed in my signature. It would be 17 but I sold a Sapphire Pro 9mm to a KT friend/member who wanted it worse than I needed it.
ME! ME!!! He sold it to ME! I loooooooovvvvvve it!

And MY house rule is: I will never shoot someone with a gun that's not PRETTY!!

Hence my gorgeous Sapphire Pro the kind-and-lovely Arland (2sharp2) sold me and my herd of Micro .380s -- the newest Sapphire (gorgeous) and the Eclipse (handsome, suave, eye-catching in a different way) and the Stainless (my original Micro) and the (poor, disliked, this one I'm gonna sell cause: UGLY!) "custom" tan one (gun store did the buy 50 pick your design -- they picked a horrid design! Pix here: https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ki...nough-pic.html )

Plus the Micro-9 (or as we sometimes call them here: the Marshall 9!) stainless... Got others -- but I LOVE me some Micro .380s!

I bought my first .380 because there was no way I was gonna carry my late husband's CDP Ultra II .45! And of course that meant I needed a new Kimber -- JUST as the moment the .380 Micros were announced! (God -- and in this case Kimber! -- looks out for widows and fools! I know I'm the first, I hope I'm not the second!)

El

p.s., the guys will tell you... in secret ... that when I'm caffeined up, I can't SHUT up!!!
2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 AM  

Originally Posted by .38SuperMan View Post
SMGA have an amazing inventory but I believe Buds has more. I noticed last trip Buds carries pistols like Wilson and Les Baer which Ive never seen in a store before.

The downside of Buds, not tried SMGA, is trading with them. I tried trading a couple of like new guns I inherited and the trade allowance was very low. Cash though is king and new prices are great. My Aegis was $869 before tax. The ultra two tone runs $629 before tax at SMGA. Typically SMGA is a touch cheaper but not always. Being only a couple hundred yards apart makes it convenient to compare though.

I'm a couple hours away from Buds and SMGA but anytime we get close to them I always stop and look around, I have not bought a gun from either place. They have some good prices but usually the brutally high Tennessee sales tax will wipe out most savings. Some day I'm going to take my gear and try out the beautiful range at Buds. My wife endures my "looking" by finding a place to sit and watch the people "freak parade."
I have bought a few knives from the SM knife section, if you can't find a knife in there you want to buy your in trouble.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308