Kimber Talk Forums banner

Micro .380 Hammer Question

11K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  tff 
#1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a new Micro Carry .380 this week and I noticed that when the hammer is partially cocked, I can still pull the trigger and drop the hammer all the way down with the safety on or off. But with the hammer pulled all the way back, the thumb safety works good. I want to make sure it is not broken before I fire it the first time.
I also have a pro carry II .45 and I can not move the trigger at all when it is half cocked with the thumb safety on or off and drop the hammer.
I do not carry with a half cocked gun, I just want to be sure it is not defective.
I will add that it is a very nice addition to the family.
Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
DodgeHemi, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

That's a good question, I don't own a Micro but I don't know if that is a defect or not.
Maybe some members that have Micro's will advise.

#5 ·
Thank you very much for the welcome. We sure like Tennessee. My wife worked at St. Thomas hospital in Nashville, and I worked at the arena as an electrician. But we had a hard time with the heat and humidity, and moved back to Michigan two years later.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you for checking this for me. I was off saying half cocked, it is just off the pin. I just tried mine again, and when It is in the off the pin stop. I can pull the trigger and it will drop the hammer. It takes a little more pull on the trigger in this position.
Sounds like it time to send it back.

#22 ·
Zoomybaby, I have been through Clarksville and it is nice. My kids have been living in Knoxville for the past 20 years, and they still are having trouble with the heat at times. Last winter when we had -30 degree wind chills my wife thought about going back to the south, but that only lasted a couple of days.

#14 ·
I just purchased a new Micro Carry .380 this week and I noticed that when the hammer is partially cocked, I can still pull the trigger and drop the hammer all the way down with the safety on or off. But with the hammer pulled all the way back, the thumb safety works good. I want to make sure it is not broken before I fire it the first time.
I also have a pro carry II .45 and I can not move the trigger at all when it is half cocked with the thumb safety on or off and drop the hammer.
If I'm not mistaken, the safety on the Micro Carry has nothing to do with the trigger or sear. It's completely different than your Pro Carry. When the safety is on and the hammer down, can you pull the hammer all the way back? No? Good. When the hammer is cocked and the safety on, can you pull the trigger? Good. Does the hammer stay cocked? Good.

The solution to your problem? Don't put the pistol in half-cock. There's no sensible reason for doing so.

#15 ·
I do not own a micro. I have owned a few Colt 380s and I think the internals are the same. First the internals and operation is not the same as a full size 1911. But check this...

I do not recall a true half cock which is a safety notch never a carry position on the 1911.

When the hammer is fully down as in the Just fired position, as you ease the hammer back to first click is it a detention in the hammer catching somewhere or is it the little click/Pop of the firing pin block dropping and the firing pin being brought fully to the rear by its spring when the weight of the hammer is lifted?

#17 ·
I do not own a micro. I have owned a few Colt 380s and I think the internals are the same. First the internals and operation is not the same as a full size 1911. But check this...

I do not recall a true half cock which is a safety notch never a carry position on the 1911.

When the hammer is fully down as in the Just fired position, as you ease the hammer back to first click is it a detention in the hammer catching somewhere or is it the little click/Pop of the firing pin block dropping and the firing pin being brought fully to the rear by its spring when the weight of the hammer is lifted?
It's just a click Mike. Feels and sounds like a spring loaded click.

#18 ·
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Dodgehemi, I don't own a Kimber Micro but I do own it's twin brother the Sig P238. There is nothing wrong with your gun what your experiencing is perfectly normal.

Reactions: Zoomybaby
#19 · (Edited)
Hey Ya'll!!!

Welcome to the forum from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
Flower Plant Sky Cloud Land lot

Hey, congrats on that new Micro!! Thanks for posting the picture of it and your other Kimber. Great pair!! How about a range report on those two after the next trip to the range or the woods? Would love to hear about how that Micro is workin'.

I never would have dreamed that the safety would function different than a standard 1911. As they say, ya learn something new every day!! Go figure!!

Enjoy shooting your new toy. Shoot straight, keep 'em in the black and be safe!! Glad to have ya!!! :D:D:D:D

BTW, if you do have a DODGE HEMI, we'd like a picture of that, too??

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

"THAT THING GOT A HEMI IN IT?"

#20 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
View attachment 7574

Hey, congrats on that new Micro!! Thanks for posting the picture of it and your other Kimber. Great pair!! How about a range report on those two after the next trip to the range or the woods? Would love to hear about how that Micro is workin'.

I never would have dreamed that the safety would function different than a standard 1911. As they say, ya learn something new every day!! Go figure!!

Enjoy shooting your new toy. Shoot straight, keep 'em in the black and be safe!! Glad to have ya!!! :D:D:D:D

BTW, if you do have a DODGE HEMI, we'd like a picture of that, too??

View attachment 7576

"THAT THING GOT A HEMI IN IT?"
Lineman 73, I like your photo. I am a Industrial Electrician, and my motto is, if I can not see both ends of a wire I am working on, it is hot in my book. And I do own a Hemi car. :)

Attachments

#21 ·
I want to thank everyone here for the welcome and replying to my answer.
I took the Micro to the range today and put 100 rounds of Federal American Eagle FMJ through it with no issues or problems, and it was a lot of fun. Then I put 100 rounds of AE through the pro carry II .45 and the only difference I noticed is a bigger bang, and more recoil. I believe I have two winners now. :D

#26 · (Edited)
Oh Yeah!!! HEMI POWER!!!

One of the guys I graduated from high school with was given a new car as a graduation present: a 1970 Plymouth Hemi-Cuda convertible. It was triple black. Black exterior paint, black convertible top and black vinyl interior. Of course the power plant was the legendary 426 cu in, 425 HP HEMI engine and a 4 speed transmission. There were 5 of these ever built. I saw one sold on the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction last year for $500,000!!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

The gentleman that I went to school with put less than 3,000 miles on his 'Cuda and then put it in a warehouse. He broke the car out again in 1980 for our 10 year high school reunion. Our formal reunion was held at Royals Stadium in Kansas City (in Ewing Kauffman's private box--really cool!!) He brought the car to our informal reunion the next day at a Kansas City park. We found a deserted section of the parking lot, blocked it off and began to play with the 'Cuda!! The owner allowed a selected few friends to drive the car. I was one of the lucky few!!

My ride in the 'Cuda was short and loud!!! I wound that HEMI up to 4,000 RPM and sidestepped the clutch. I power shifted the car through all four gears, red lining the tach before each power shift. The G-70 14 tires went up in smoke. They were no were near enough tire to contain the 425 HP of that engine. Once in fourth gear, the speedometer read 145 MPH, the tires were still smoking and the car had moved a grand total of SIX FEET!!! That is pure raw POWER!! WHOOOOOOOO!! What a ride!!!

YEAH, IT'S GOT A HEMI IN IT!!!!!

Reactions: Tejun
#27 · (Edited)
Lineman, I have always liked the Cuda, and I really like the one in your photo. I have had three of them since 1972. In fact I sold my 1973 440 six-barrel Cuda to get the Challenger. It still had all of the original sheet metal and paint on it. I figured it is time to drive a muscle car that still has a Hemi in it, air conditioning, and a lifetime bumper warranty.
Plus I have a cool ride to put my Kimber in so no one will try to take it from me at a light or parking lot.

Attachments

#30 ·
just for the sake of knowing i pulled the bullet and powder out of a round too see if it would go off in this condition.(primer only)...after about 50 pulls it didn't ignite so that makes me feel better..

#31 · (Edited)
FYI - For what it is worth I put a pencil in mine and it bounced the pencil.:confused::eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.