Not to Hi-Jack another thread... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Not to Hi-Jack another thread...

Disclaimer: I don't own a Kimber Micro or Micro 9 but have owned the Sig P238 and P938 before Kimber came out with either of their equivalents.

I just read a new thread asking "Are you still carrying your Kimber Micro .380?" It's mentioned in the thread that some carry it in the summer when dressed light for comfort.

I'm just curious... why?

In the summer I carry a Kimber Ultra Tactical .45. My daily dress is a pair of Duluth Trading Fire Hose shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt. I carry my Ultra in a Wright Leather Works Pancake Holster on a Wright Leather Works 1/4" thick Bull Hide Gun Belt.

In the winter I carry a Kimber Ultra Tactical .45. My daily dress is a pair of Duluth Trading Fire Hose pants and a T-Shit. I carry my Ultra in a Wright Pancake Holster on a Wright Leather Works 1/4" thick Bull Hide Gun Belt.

When the weather is cold enough to require a heavy parka I pocket carry either of my Sigs that can shoot through the pocket and give me a fighting chance to get to my Ultra Tactical.

So I guess my question is... what makes carrying a .380 more comfortable then carrying a .45?
Old 08-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

Can you conceal it with your t-shirt with a pancake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #3

I don’t have a Micro 380, but I do carry a Micro 9 in the summer. I’m not in the shape you are (sadly) and am working on it. In the meantime in a WLW Predator, I can conceal it with a t-shirt. I can’t do the same with my Ultra in the same style holster. I can carry the Ultra if I wear an untucked short sleeve button down shirt, and do. In the winter I carry a Ruger Commander....also WLW Predator.

If my current health improvement plan works out, i’ll switch to IWB which used to be my standard mode. Wish me luck and give me 8 or 9 months!
bhunted and wfm like this.

Last edited by Bigdog; 08-05-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #4

Not to Hi-Jack another thread...

[QUOTE=

So I guess my question is... what makes carrying a .380 more comfortable then carrying a .45?[/QUOTE]

Front pocket carry, sleeveless T or no T.
I guess for me itís not a comfort thing its a concealment thing.
My normal carry is Pancake holster Kimber Eclipse Ultra, Stainless Ultra Raptor or my Glock 26 T shirt and a cover button up left open.

Depending where I go depends on what I carry. If Iím going to the City, Detroit, Pontiac or Flint itís the Glock 26 12 round mag and a G 17 mag backup.
Out here in the sticks itís my Kimber 45ís
Park or beach, shorts and a T pocket carry Kimber 380 or the Solo Carry but my Kimber Ultra or Glock is usually in a fanny pack or shoulder bag just in case.

So to answer the Question, yes thereís still a place in my rotation for the Micro 380 and it is the most comfortable to carry in any position.

Last edited by Albert.Cairns; 08-04-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
So I guess my question is... what makes carrying a .380 more comfortable then carrying a .45?
It's dependent upon my attire. I don't always embrace the baggy or the layered look. Oftentimes, my clothes fit perfectly, and there is no extra room for a full-sized gun.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #6

My comfort comes from knowing that if I have to use my side arm to defend life, I'm going to give my attacker my best shot. A 45 cal. hollow point. A little bit of weight on my hip is nothing compared to the warm and fuzzy feeling I get caring a 45.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:20 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
My comfort comes from knowing that if I have to use my side arm to defend life, I'm going to give my attacker my best shot. A 45 cal. hollow point. A little bit of weight on my hip is nothing compared to the warm and fuzzy feeling I get caring a 45.
Oh yeah. I’m sticking to my 45 Ultra for EDC. The only time I change it out is when I’m at the beach, then it’s my stainless steel 38 snub nose in my swimsuit pocket.

Last edited by Wingnut; 08-05-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Can you conceal it with your t-shirt with a pancake?

Yes, no problem, normally I could wear a medium t-shirt but wearing a large covers the gun/holster perfectly. I have neighbors that I see almost daily and they have no clue that I've been carrying a gun for years. A couple of years back when I was heavier I wore an x-large t-shit.
bhunted and OLE442 like this.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:25 AM   #9

My 2 main carry guns are a Sig P938 and an Ultra TLE II 45. I carry both in a WLW Predator OWB Holster. I don’t have any issues with the extra weight of the TLE but I do find concealing the 938 easier in lighter clothing. It’s not like I never carry my TLE in warm weather clothing. I like to switch it up sometimes.
Chuck43, OLE442, 427malibu and 2 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I wonder if part of the problem could be that people just imagine that everyone can see the gun under their shirt. I know when I first started carrying concealed I was like that, it took a while for me to get comfortable carrying a concealed gun in public.
2sharp2 and JC45 like this.