Has anyone used aluminum? - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #11

I've used it in several pistols never had a issue with it. I really like it when I'm carrying my S&W SD, 17 rds of aluminium is lot lighter than 17 rds of brass.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #12

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
It's a crying shame in the firearms industry the least informed folks can often be found behind the counter.

If you're thinking about reloading in the future then buying brass case ammo for practice would be worthy of consideration since there's usually not much price difference between aluminum and brass case practice ammo. Aluminum is not for reloading.
You're so right. But it was Walmart. I don't normally but anything at Walmart, but I saw they were on sale for $39 for 200 rounds of 45's. Not a bad price, so I thought I'd try them. I'll shoot them on Saturday and if it goes well, I'll buy more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
OLE442 likes this.
nmanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
CRJ

I buy range ammo whenever I find it around 16 cents, whatever it is. Never had any trouble to speak of with any of it. Shields eat anything, EVO has handled everything but critical defense
CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #14

I picked up 3 boxes of Federal by accident at Walmart. It functioned perfectly so no complaints.
.38SuperMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #15

I have never had any issues with aluminum either. In fact when we first switched to .40s in 93, the department was using aluminum ammo for range ammo (not carry) to save money.

My beef with it these days are two things. Many ranges will not allow it (including mine). And the price advantage it used to have over brass has mysteriously shrunk to the point it's not worth bothering with IMO.

Works just fine though.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #16

I've used aluminum case ammo in both 9mm and .45 when the snow was deep and I knew I would not be able to find any of my fired brass. It worked fine, but not being reloadable, it is really of no use to me, as I reload virtually ALL my fired brass.

And as been mentioned, the price difference any more is negligible, so why bother with aluminum?
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #17

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post

And as been mentioned, the price difference any more is negligible, so why bother with aluminum?
I'm with you normally, but I don't reload, probably never will. (Nothing against it, I just don't have that patience or time) And the price difference was big because it was on a clearance sale.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #18

UPDATE: Went out to the farm Saturday to shoot the Federal Aluminum Ammo I purchased from Walmart.

Firearm: Kimber Aegis Elite Custom OI .45ACP

Ammo: Federal Champion Aluminum 45 ACP 230 Grain FMJ

I ran the whole 200 round box. With the Kimber, it took me a bit to do so. I only have 4 magazines at 8 rounds each, and nobody was helping me reload. I'm saying this because I would load 4 magazines at a time, run through them, then reload 4. I think this is important to know, because this gives time for the weapon to cool down some. Other than reloading, I went through all 200 rounds without a break.

All in all, it was a great session. Not one jam, malfunction, misfeed, or dud. I wasn't training for bullseye shooting, so I can't give you info on how to my groups are. I went through a qualifying course. I even had magazine reloads, which means the used empty magazines got dropped on the ground. Trust me, other than a quick dusting, they weren't cleaned in between.

I used my Kimber to run this ammo. In my opinion, from all the 45 ACP weapons I own, the Kimber is probably the most finicky. You can definitely feel the weight difference. I could just imagine if I had my Glock 21 in hand. The G21 has a 13+1 capacity, so I'm sure with that weapon you would notice the weight difference and be very happy with it.

I'm going to go to Walmart where this ammo is on sale and purchase another box. I want to try it again to be sure. But first impressions are good.

Old Today, 02:56 PM   #19

Here's the target. I forgot to attach it.

KCJeep and motormac like this.
Old Today, 04:27 PM   #20

Handsome gun and nice shooting!

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote