Kimber recent quality - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

So I’ve recently been bitten by a kimber bug. Swore them off for years because of things I’ve heard. Stuck with my Springfield armory 1911’s as I live 10 minutes from their facility and have never had a bad gun from them. I wanted a ultra compact 45 and Springfield don’t offer one in a 3 inch barrel officer size, so I bought a kimber ultra raptor 2. Was excited to break it in and carry it. Shot 500 rounds in two days and it never really went well. The slide would lock back with rounds still in magazine and the slide stop would have brass marks on the lug. Called kimber, lady was nice and sent me a new slide stop out. Seems to have solved my issue. So I then decide to pull the trigger on a couple k6s revolvers I’ve been wanting. A cdp and a brushed stainless. The cdp front sight came loose on first range visit. loctited it back down. Took the stainless out to find out the extractor has to much play and the star don’t reseat correctly during unloading of the cylinder. Got a rma and sending it back to kimber. All the while I ended up getting a micro 9 raptor and am having extraction issues with it as well. I checked the tension on a empty case and it falls right out and extractor has quite a bit of play, so I’ll have to send that one back after I get my k6 back. Is this a typical thing with kimber or did I just get unlucky 4/4. Have a warrior and a raptor 5inch on my wishlist but now having second thoughts

Last edited by mtatbt2008; 11-14-2019 at 08:11 PM.
mtatbt2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #3

Thank you!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

The only Kimber that I possess is an EVO SP CDP, and I have not had any issues with this piece. Many of the others on the site have tons of experience with your model of Kimber pistols, so they will give their opinions for your experiences.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #5

I bought 5 Kimber 1911’s last year and had absolutely NO problems. I take that back, 1 bad magazine that Kimber immediately replaced. I have a TLE Pro 45, Eclipse Target 38 super, 9 mm Ultra Aegis, 45 Ultra custom carry and Micro 9 two tone. I also have a custom 45 built on a Springfield frame, a 5” Springfield 9mm stainless Target and a Colt 38 super LW Commander XSE . None of my 1911’s have ever been a problem. Matter of fact the Kimber’s are the nicest finished and tightest with the exception of the custom pistol.
.38SuperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #6

I love the fit and finish of all the pistols and even traded a couple of my reliable springers towards these. Just disappointed to have so many issues. Couple minor that were quick fixes but I’ll have to send 2/4 back and play the waiting game. Thanks for commenting. I know kimber will take care of me just sucks to just get them and have to ship them off. Not to mention trusting them to work again
Bigdog likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #7

Well that's a bummer, and no not typical. They will take care of you.
Rick in Oregon likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:53 AM   #8

I love my Springfield Range Officer SS 5” 9mm but it was sent back to Springfield twice for minor issues. Their customer service was excellent and the gun shoots great. Kimber isn’t the only company that has issues.

My SS Raptor 5” 45 hasn’t missed a beat since day one. I would recommend one.
Rick in Oregon likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #9

I would say no your problems are not typical from Kimber because of the large number of pistols they sell. We have heard of your issues in the past, Kimber will make them right. I have a lot of Kimber's never had to send one back to the mothership or had any issues that didn't trace back to a bad magazine or ammo.
Speaking of ammo what are you using and have you tried different ammo, may not be your problems but can be an issue sometimes.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

mtatbt2008--I feel your pain, but I am the owner of 3 Kimbers, 2 Rugers, a bunch of M&Ps and a revolver or 2. One of my Kimbers went back for a finish issue, and was back to me within 10 days, perfect. 1 Ruger went back and they were even faster...it was an "automatic fire" issue, which I'm sure they didn't want to read about. 1 of my 4 or 5 M&Ps went back for a month. Interesting it was the most expensive purchase and took the longest for them to figure out. The return process is painful and irritating, but your experience in not typical Kimber, IME.