Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

Just noticed this in my Kimber Manual

Just noticed this statement in my Kimber manual:

2. The use of reloaded, “remanufactured”, handloaded
or other non-standard ammunition
voids all warranties.

I don't use reloads, but how can they really do that? There are a lot of you guys out there that load their own ammo.
HiddenPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-17-2015, 06:23 AM   #2

You have to be like the military. ..

Don't ask, don't tell...

I have broken in 4 Kimbers with Freedom Ammunition reman without any issues. ..
HiddenPuppy and speedydg13 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It's there to protect them from damage done to guns by loads not meeting SAAMI performance standards.
HiddenPuppy likes this.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

I figured that was the case guys, but was a little surprised that it was so "categorical"
HiddenPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
Every firearms manufacturer has that warning in their instruction manuals. It's just a legal CYA for them.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

A weapon manufactuer would be crazy not to have that in there warranty.
I have been reloading 45acp for over twenty five years, all my guns are broken in and 90% of their diet consist of my reloads(I believe they are better then any training round you can buy at Walmart or online)but I have also meet many reloaders, whose ammo I would not want anywhere near one of my guns.
HiddenPuppy likes this.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #7

Wink What Ya Don't Know Can Hurt You!!

Back in the day, when I first started into hand loading or reloading, whichever you choose to call it, I went through a stage that I sadly refer to as my "Magnumitis Phase"! After reading way too many articles about hot rodding loads to obtain more velocity, I decided it was my turn to jump on the bandwagon, and build some of my own. Not being totally crazy, I did have several loading manuals for guidance. However, I looked at them as just that guidance!!!

The loads de jour, that I was seeking were .44 Magnum. I shuffled through my Speer loading manual in the handgun section for possible recipes for my new load. Nothing struck my fancy. Not enough velocity!! So then, I happened to find some .44 Magnum loadings in the rifle section. The top of the page noted a caution, that these loads were intended for modern, strong Marlin, Winchester and Ruger rifles chambered in .44 Magnum. They were NOT intended for use in handguns. I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk revolver and a Ruger Deerslayer .44 mag rifle.

There were loads in this section that were rated at 1600 fps and up out of the 18" barrels of these rifles. THIS was what I wanted!!! I whipped up some of these loads using Hercules (now Alliant) 2400 powder and a CCI magnum primer under a 240 grain jacketed hollow point. I will not give the specific charge of powder here, for safety reasons. Once I had put up 50 rounds of these bombs, I headed for the woods with my two trusty .44's

I loaded the rifle and ripped off 5 rounds of the new load. To put it mildly, it was stout!!! Accuracy was good and the little Ruger rifle handled the loads nicely. Recoil was a bit stiff. This was what I was looking for!!!

As I was patting myself on the back for the wonderful load that I had created, my eyes drifted to the Super Blackhawk on the tailgate of my truck!! An evil grinch-like grin crossed my face!! Why not??!! After all, it was a Ruger revolver and they are built bull strong. With that same evil grin still on my face, I loaded six of these hot loads into the cylinder of my Blackhawk. I touched off the first one. It was a hair high above the bullseye of the target at 25 yards. The recoil from the new load in the pistol was to say, outrageously brutal!!! The grin was still there, though!! So, I touched of two more. At that point, the grin was waning fast. My right wrist hurt like hell!! My supporting hand wasn't doing so damn well either!! I told myself that three was enough. I felt like my wrist had been embedded into my elbow!! NO MORE!!!

I opened the loading gate and turned the Blackhawk up to eject the expended brass. Instead of the that happening when I hit the ejection rod, I had a hand full of pieces of brass fall into my right hand which was waiting to catch the brass. DAMN!! The other two chambers were exactly the same!! The brass had been blown to pieces!! Thank God that the Ruger WAS built bull strong!!! The load had absolutely detonated the brass, yet the Ruger contained the power.

That was the end of my urge to magnumize magnum cartridges!!! Damn good lesson learned. Those loading manuals DON'T lie!!!
Chuck43, Marshall, Richard and 1 others like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Tankgunner View Post
A weapon manufactuer would be crazy not to have that in there warranty.
I have been reloading 45acp for over twenty five years, all my guns are broken in and 90% of their diet consist of my reloads(I believe they are better then any training round you can buy at Walmart or online)but I have also meet many reloaders, whose ammo I would not want anywhere near one of my guns.
That's why I don't ever shoot a round found on the ground at our club. Even amongst those in my group I shoot with a couple times a week who all reload. If I blow my gun and get hurt it will only be myself to blame.
Chuck43 and HiddenPuppy like this.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Does any manufacturer ever say reloaded ammunition is okay?
t4terrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by t4terrific View Post
Does any manufacturer ever say reloaded ammunition is okay?
In a word NO!