Visit to a gun store today - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Visit to a gun store today

We have a local gunstore that I like to go to and just hang out at. It's actually pretty fun. The guy has a bunch of regulars and some rocking chairs and it's like an old time country store. He doesn't mind if the regulars walk behind the counter to look at guns, or take them out of the case. Everyone else is sitting around joking with each other, and it's a pretty fun place to go.

Almost everyone that walks in has been there before and feels pretty comfortable. It's not a big store, but he gets a lot of interesting trades and estate stuff, which i like. He is also a Kimber dealer, which is the point of this long winded post.

I just felt like fondling a bunch of Kimbers today. Nothing special, but it was fun handling some of them.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #2

My gun store is a lot like that. Except taking guns out of the case, I haven't done that yet. Lol but I go back in the different office or gun smith's shop and hang out, if it's lunch time they make you have a slice of pizza. They are smoking, cusing, messing with people. Much worse places to hang out for sure.

Chuck43, Gmountain and 2sharp2 like this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #3

Sounds like my kind of place.
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
My gun store is a lot like that. Except taking guns out of the case, I haven't done that yet. Lol but I go back in the different office or gun smith's shop and hang out, if it's lunch time they make you have a slice of pizza. They are smoking, cusing, messing with people. Much worse places to hang out for sure.
Yeah, it's a nice group of people, and pretty diverse. We have guys from all walks of life, including an FBI agent and an ATF agent that go and bs like the rest of us.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

They say if you hang around a Barber Shop long enough you will end up getting a haircut! I'm not saying, just sayin

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

Originally Posted by southwestca View Post
They say if you hang around a Barber Shop long enough you will end up getting a haircut! I'm not saying, just sayin
Good one Tom! That's why Zoomy gets new guns!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 08-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Originally Posted by southwestca View Post
Oh, it's true alright.

Speaking of barber shops- I went to get a haircut today, foolishly not realizing school starts Monday. I walk in and there must have been 50 kids waiting in line. yikes! I guess I'll run over on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Wow this thread is bringing back my childhood memories, in the early 50's when I was about 10 or 11 years old I started hanging out in an old gun shop. Two brothers owned the shop, they had to be in their 60's at the time.

Squeaky, sagging wood floors, a couple of smelly dogs, leaky doors and windows that let snow blow in in the winter and a cast iron stove for both heat and keeping the chili and coffee pot hot.

My dad was a tool and die maker that opened a hardware store in the neighborhood and the brothers would occasionally ask him for help with machining problems so that gave me access to the shop. Access meant that I got to sweep the floor, clean the windows, counter and eventually was allowed near the work benches.

Having a father that was a tool and die maker meant that I was taught the proper way to use hand tools (for you NCIS fans think of the Gibbs slap to the back of the head). Once I demonstrated that it wasn't much of a step to being allowed access to the work bench and taught to sporterize old surplus military Springfield 1903 A3 rifles and reload ammunition. Working on the actions, triggers and barrels came easy to me it was reworking the old stocks that I never caught on to.

In my later years 17, 18 and 19 years old I started building wildcats based on the old .30-06 case. I built .25, .27, .33, .35 and .40-06's.

Those were some fantastic years then one day I found the shop closed, one of the brothers had suddenly passed away and the other couldn't reopen the shop without his brother.

To this day I have never been in a gun shop like that and never expect to be, if you were thirsty there was a coffee pot on the stove and if you were hungry there was always a pot of chili there. I never saw that chili pot empty and I never saw anyone put anything into it. If I could go back in time and have anything out of that shop it would be one of the oil soaked leather work shop aprons the brothers wore daily most of their lives.

Gmountain, Jeff, thank you for starting this thread. My son is in town with me this weekend without his wife and my 4 grandchildren it's just the two of us and he's been peeking over my shoulder reading this. He never knew his grandfather, my dad passed away before he was born and I never brought up this forgotten part of my childhood before. What I've easily dismissed years ago of my past has suddenly sparked a interest from him. I can see we're going to be up late tonight reliving this part of my youth, again, thank you.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

Enjoy the time with your son Chuck!

The post reminded me of the gun shop I accidentally found last year down in Alabama. It had the old, old wood floors, two or three dog, guns that were actually close enough you could read the price tag or you could touch without asking, employees that seemed to be family or at least liked each other. No chili which is unfortunate.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

We have a lgs shop like that in town called Denny Dennis...It has been there since the 50's and he hasn't changed too much since he opened.

Every time that I pull up the parking lot is full and when ya walk in it's just men standing around telling stories of the past, drinking a cup of java....Love that place...
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Zoomybaby like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote