Debating Ultra Carry II vs Ultra CDP - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #1

Debating Ultra Carry II vs Ultra CDP

Back in the forum after a long absence and getting back into the Kimber life too. I'm looking at the Ultra Carry and the Ultra CDP. Are the differences in the CDP worth the extra few hundred it seems to cost?

Why are the 9mms more expensive? I have a ton of 9mm ammo, zero .45 but may add the .45 since I don't have one.

My past experience is limited to a Pro Crimson Carry 45 and an Aegis II 9mm. Both works of art!

Any advice would be appreciated!
coolcobramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

An Ultra is an Ultra, the difference is in the cosmetics, checkering, melting, sights etc. I was told that the price difference was because it costs more to make a 9mm barrel then a .45 barrel.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
An Ultra is an Ultra, the difference is in the cosmetics, checkering, melting, sights etc. I was told that the price difference was because it costs more to make a 9mm barrel then a .45 barrel.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.
I was going to do that when I am officially a Kimber owner again lol. I've been a lurker since way back in 16, think I actually had an account in the last 2000's under mattkats1 possibly. I never used to post much though, just enjoyed reading and looking at everyone's collections.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #4

Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
Back in the forum after a long absence and getting back into the Kimber life too. I'm looking at the Ultra Carry and the Ultra CDP. Are the differences in the CDP worth the extra few hundred it seems to cost?

Why are the 9mms more expensive? I have a ton of 9mm ammo, zero .45 but may add the .45 since I don't have one.

My past experience is limited to a Pro Crimson Carry 45 and an Aegis II 9mm. Both works of art!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.
Depends upon your intended use for your Ultra. Ultra Carry (entry level) or Ultra CDP (More features top of the line?). Chuck nailed it. Both have same internal parts.
You may want to expand your choices and shop around the Ultra market. It is a buyers market, careful shopping can yield you a top of the line like new in box Ultra loaded with features for what you might pay for a basic Ultra, you know standard black sights, no checkering, no carry melt, no ambi safety.
I have a Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm ($600) and CDP Ultra .45 ($975), both function perfectly and are accurate. A CDP Ultra 45 was the first Kimber I purchased which still has a place in my EDC rotation.
If I had known back in 2013 what I know now I would have bought a Super Carry Ultra Plus (now discontinued) and been done with it.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Welcome to the site from Tennessee.
Depends upon your intended use for your Ultra.
If I had known back in 2013 what I know now I would have bought a Super Carry Ultra Plus (now discontinued) and been done with it.

I read a post earlier were you mentioned that. I shoot rarely, have a ccw but don't carry (yet), and mostly keep my guns in the safe. I have a Sig p365 for the car, a H&K vp9sk in the bedroom nightstand safe and a Smith M&P 22 that my son shoots for fun. I will look into that Supper Carry and see what I think.

If you know or see any exceptional deals, you know the ones that if you had the money you just couldn't pass up, pm me a link if possible. I have pmed two sellers on here, one a CDP and the other an Ultra Crimson Carry. I love that darn laser grip :-)
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #6

Dang that Super Carry Ultra + is way out of my budget lol
Old 01-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #7

I read a post earlier were you mentioned that. I shoot rarely, have a ccw but don't carry (yet), and mostly keep my guns in the safe. I have a Sig p365 for the car, a H&K vp9sk in the bedroom nightstand safe and a Smith M&P 22 that my son shoots for fun. I will look into that Supper Carry and see what I think.

If you know or see any exceptional deals, you know the ones that if you had the money you just couldn't pass up, pm me a link if possible. I have pmed two sellers on here, one a CDP and the other an Ultra Crimson Carry. I love that darn laser grip :-)

You already found a great deal 650 for a Ultra Crimson Carry with Crimson Trace, if it's still available.
A Super Carry Ultra+ has ultra size 3" barrel with a full size round heel (butt) grip. That's what I'm saying shop around mine was LNIB for $775.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCU Plus Green CT.jpg (1.62 MB, 12 views)
coolcobramatt likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
You already found a great deal 650 for a Ultra Crimson Carry with Crimson Trace, if it's still available.
A Super Carry Ultra+ has ultra size 3" barrel with a full size round heel (butt) grip. That's what I'm saying shop around mine was LNIB for $775.
If you see one again at that price let me know

I pmed the UCC seller this morning, no reply so far. Found a Crimson Carry Ultra CDP for 725, that may have been one to grab too.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #9

If you see one again at that price let me know

I pmed the UCC seller this morning, no reply so far. Found a Crimson Carry Ultra CDP for 725, that may have been one to grab too.
IMO, the buying pool is DEEP my friend. I don't know if Kimberly drops in every day or not.
coolcobramatt likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #10

I carry an Ultra Carry II and I like it. There are some deals in Ohio on Armslist. I like that site because you can search by state and buy FTF (at least here in Ohio). There are dealers on there and a lot of guys like us that just want to unload something and get a different toy.
Krazeehorse is offline   Reply With Quote