Help with new Master Carry Pro - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #1

Help with new Master Carry Pro

Bought a new one a few weeks ago along with 6 NEW Kimpro Tac-mags.
I know this is going to sound stupid but I loaded a mag and noticed they are very stiff to load(bullets) and to insert in the pistol. Once loaded I cannot chamber a round ie: I cant get the slide to move.
Funny but the one mag supplied with this new pistol is a Chip McCormick. That mag works well although the slide is still pretty stiff which I attribute to being new. Anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong?
Both mags seem to look identical. I even tried another of the new Tac-mags but same result. I don't want to screw -up anything slamming these new mags in as it seems its a clearance/tolerance problem.
Just for reference I loaded Federal 230gr. FMJ ammo in the mags.
I also can say that when the mags are empty they load in the mag-well easy. Could I have poorly manufactured ammo? I just received 600 rounds so if I do.........crap!
Kevin
ViperKimber57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #2

Are these the 8 round 45 ACP KimPro mags? If so, they are notorious for barely going into the gun fully loaded with 8 rounds if the slide is forward. They snick right in with 7, or with 8 if the slide is back.

I carry a couple as extras but they are for slide locked back reloads. The KimPro in the gun is a 7 round flat base. It will also hold 8 although not marked for it, and just like the 8 rounders when so loaded will barely go in the gun.

You can leave them loaded for a while and see if that helps, I have one that goes in easier than the other but both are stiff. I can get them in if I want, for 9 rounds of .45 total, but I don't want that much constant pressure on the magazine catch spring.
Doons likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #3

Load the mags full and let them be for a few days to let the springs take a set.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Are these the 8 round 45 ACP KimPro mags? If so, they are notorious for barely going into the gun fully loaded with 8 rounds if the slide is forward. They snick right in with 7, or with 8 if the slide is back.

I carry a couple as extras but they are for slide locked back reloads. The KimPro in the gun is a 7 round flat base. It will also hold 8 although not marked for it, and just like the 8 rounders when so loaded will barely go in the gun.

You can leave them loaded for a while and see if that helps, I have one that goes in easier than the other but both are stiff. I can get them in if I want, for 9 rounds of .45 total, but I don't want that much constant pressure on the magazine catch spring.
Yes they are the 8 rnd models. I didn't think of the slide locked back method so thanks. I do remember reading on here about leaving them loaded so I will try that too.....Thanks KC for the quick response. KC(my initials) and I hope the Super Bowl WINNER!!!
Oklahomabound likes this.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Load the mags full and let them be for a few days to let the springs take a set.
Will do ,thanks Phil
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I used to think that myself but it's not true, putting a spring under a load will not will not weaken or loosen it. What relaxes a spring is working it, compressing and relaxing it over and over again. This is why a gun manufacture will say to replace a recoil spring after x amount of rounds are fired and not x days you've owned the gun. I had to convince myself of this so I measured the springs in 2 new .45 magazines then loaded them and put them in my safe for 6 months. When I broke them down and remeasured the springs nothing had changed the measurements were the same.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #7

Well I tried the Chip McCormick mag. and that works fine fully loaded and the slide forward,it even seats well.
For shits and giggles I tried, my for sale, Ultra TLE II and loaded 8 rds in the for 7rnd. mag and it worked fine with that pistol. Those mags are the Kimber black mags NOT KimPro-Tac mags.
If this is normal I will never be able to carry 8+1 in my Carry Pro as the full mag will not slam home with the slide forward,correct.
I am going to call Kimber tomorrow and see what they think.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I used to think that myself but it's not true
Sigh...

Maybe you should contact Wilson Combat and educate them on how magazines and springs work. You're obviously more knowledgeable on the subject and know more about spring set.

Wilson Combat FAQ

"Load and unload your new magazines several times and keep them loaded for several days in advance of your first range day to allow the stiff springs to take an initial set. This will make them easier to load and reduce pressure on the bottom of the slide that could cause a malfunction."

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/
2sharp2 and Doons like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-30-2020 at 06:19 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #9

Don't slam the mags in. Just give them a firm slow push.
Don't worry about harming the mag release spring. Once they click in there's no undue force on the spring.
To remove a fully loaded mag easily just push up the mag bottom then press the release.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I used to think that myself but it's not true, putting a spring under a load will not will not weaken or loosen it. What relaxes a spring is working it, compressing and relaxing it over and over again. This is why a gun manufacture will say to replace a recoil spring after x amount of rounds are fired and not x days you've owned the gun. I had to convince myself of this so I measured the springs in 2 new .45 magazines then loaded them and put them in my safe for 6 months. When I broke them down and remeasured the springs nothing had changed the measurements were the same.
Sigh...

Maybe you should contact Wilson Combat and educate them on how magazines and springs work. You're obviously more knowledgeable on the subject and know more about spring set.

Wilson Combat FAQ

"Load and unload your new magazines several times and keep them loaded for several days in advance of your first range day to allow the stiff springs to take an initial set. This will make them easier to load and reduce pressure on the bottom of the slide that could cause a malfunction."

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/
I think you're both right.
A brand new magazine which has never been loaded might have a slight bit of give (set) that full compression could relax. But after that I don't think they'd change within the normal lifespan of that magazine.