New to me Rimfire Target - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #1

New to me Rimfire Target

Picked up a used Rimfire Target a couple of weeks ago. Got home and cleaned it up, it was filthy and almost bound up by excessive grease on the rails that must have been there quite a while. Lubed it and went to the range.

Planned on firing 200 rounds with the two mags it came with. It had recurring issue at least half the time, failure of the second cartridge to load (both mags). However when I downloaded the mag with 8 rounds, it ran fine.

Called Kimber to find out date of manufacture and it was 08/03/2012. The pistol is obviously well worn and who knows what the round count really is, so figured I'd order and replace all the springs and get two new mags.

But during the conversation, decided to send it in. Figured I'd let them install new springs and check if the mags are an issue. Figured that would make me feel better, knowing that Kimber gave it the once over.

Anyone have mag issues with these?
Jflytle likes this.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Life Member: SAF and CCRKBA
Mark 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

I think several members here are using Kimber's Rimfire Conversion Kit and not one of the discontinued rimfire models.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I have both the Compact and the Target conversion kits and about 10 magazines and have never had a problem with either the kits or the magazines.
2sharp2 and Mark 40 like this.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I have both the Compact and the Target conversion kits and about 10 magazines and have never had a problem with either the kits or the magazines.
Regarding magazines. Have you ever taken them fully apart removing base, spring and follower for cleaning?

Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Old 02-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
Super Moderator

No I have not had the need to break the magazines down yet.
Mark 40 likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Mark 40 View Post
Picked up a used Rimfire Target a couple of weeks ago. Got home and cleaned it up, it was filthy and almost bound up by excessive grease on the rails that must have been there quite a while. Lubed it and went to the range.

Planned on firing 200 rounds with the two mags it came with. It had recurring issue at least half the time, failure of the second cartridge to load (both mags). However when I downloaded the mag with 8 rounds, it ran fine.

Called Kimber to find out date of manufacture and it was 08/03/2012. The pistol is obviously well worn and who knows what the round count really is, so figured I'd order and replace all the springs and get two new mags.

But during the conversation, decided to send it in. Figured I'd let them install new springs and check if the mags are an issue. Figured that would make me feel better, knowing that Kimber gave it the once over.

Anyone have mag issues with these?

Since you have already returned your Rimfire Target to Kimber, I suspect after it has been inspected and checked it will at least receive all new springs and anything else they deem out of spec. Then returned to you in like new condition.
Mark 40 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
I think several members here are using Kimber's Rimfire Conversion Kit and not one of the discontinued rimfire models.
I'd be one of those. My Rimfire conversion quest started about 40 years ago with a Colt Rimfire Conversion Unit. Worked well until about 100 rounds were fired, then the floating chamber would carbon up and inhibit proper functioning. My thoughts then were, it's pretty cool, just wish it worked all the time.

So not wanting to pony up for a Marvel unit, I tried the Kimber 5" target Conversion with good success. Bunnies and squirrels were not safe. But as I usually carry a Kimber Ultra CDP 3", I jumped on the then new Kimber Compact Rimfire Conversion of the same size. Totally reliable, more accurate than it should be, it works perfectly as my belt pistol when out in the rat patch with a CF rifle, perfect for those "peeker" ground squirrels that pop up 20' from your rifle bench.

Posted in the past, but even at 52 paces, rogue jackwabbits are not safe if they stop for that "last look back" after blazing through our camp. Who sez 3" pistols are only "short range" propositions?

Both my Conversion Units get used a lot, here's my 5" target unit proving it's not just for paper. Ever been near a really pissed off badger? Not something soon forgotten.

So "yes", I'm a Rimfire Conversion Unit fan of long standing. It's nice to have the exact same trigger pull on your EDC and field pistol.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, JC45 and 3 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #8

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Since you have already returned your Rimfire Target to Kimber, I suspect after it has been inspected and checked it will at least receive all new springs and anything else they deem out of spec. Then returned to you in like new condition.
2sharp2- That is correct
2sharp2 likes this.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #9

Mark, you're most likely aware of this, but in the Kimber Rimfire literature, it recommends only using HV ammunition in these pistols to ensure positive function.

Over the years, the best ammo (hunting) for all my rimfires has been either WW Power Point HP, or CCI Mini-Mag HP. Both function these pistols 100%, and are more than 'hunting accurate'.

My Smith M41 and Colt Woodsman Match Target will outperform both of course, but not enough to fret about, especially in the field, where my guns spend most of their time. The varmints here fear them.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Wingnut and 1 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Mark, you're most likely aware of this, but in the Kimber Rimfire literature, it recommends only using HV ammunition in these pistols to ensure positive function.

Over the years, the best ammo (hunting) for all my rimfires has been either WW Power Point HP, or CCI Mini-Mag HP. Both function these pistols 100%, and are more than 'hunting accurate'.

My Smith M41 and Colt Woodsman Match Target will outperform both of course, but not enough to fret about, especially in the field, where my guns spend most of their time. The varmints here fear them.

Nope! The varmints fear "Rick The Man" from Oregun!!
Rick in Oregon and motormac like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)