Ambi safeties - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Ambi safeties

Are there any advantages to ambi safeties if you're right handed? I completely understand the advantage if you're left handed just wondered if there were any hidden advantages for righties? My wife and I are both right handed and the only firearm that we own with an ambi safety is her Browning black label medallion pro (big name, small gun). Twice when she unholstered, the safety was off. I assumed with the safety being on the outside it got bumped off? After the second time she refused to carry it again. I'm wondering if maybe she just wanted me to make her a new custom leather holster? She sure knew all the little details that she wanted as soon as I offered to make her a new holster that would cover the outside safety paddle? Hmmmm? Seriously tho, are there any advantages that this ole right handed hillbilly don't know about?
MoSimpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #2

No advantages other than being able to operate it more efficiently with your off hand if need be.
Bentlink and simonp67 like this.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

Nope, no advantage I can think of.
I was having that happen on a EDC Ultra CDP that came with an extended ambi-safety and after I had my gun shop change it to a Kimber Short ambi-safety it has not happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short Ambi Safety.jpg (2.19 MB, 10 views)
JC45 and coachmitchel like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I won't carry a gun that doesn't have an ambidextrous safety. In my time I've experienced hand injuries that made either my strong or weak hand useless for operating a handgun. If you have no problem drawing and releasing your safety with just your weak hand then no problem you don't need it. Learning to rack a slide with only one hand especially the weak one and doing mag changes is also beneficial.
DaveinNC, PNK and simonp67 like this.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #5

Makes perfect sense to me! I still think my wife played me for a new holster
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Cucamonga kid like this.
MoSimpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #6

I like an ambidextrous gun for carry. If you're gonna need the gun for serious business, you'll be in a fight. And if you're in a fight, there's a chance you're gonna be hurt. And if you're hurt, you'd better be able to fight with either hand.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:12 AM   #7

My 2 main carry guns are a Sig P938 and an Ultra TLE II. The Sig has the ambi-safety and the TLE doesn’t. The Sig safety is never off when I remove it from my holster.
I do have a M&P 45 that I carry when I’m hunting or walking in the woods. This gun came with an ambi-safety. Every time this gun is removed from the holster the safety is off. I removed the thumb safety. This gun can be purchased with or without the thumb safety so I called S&W and they sent me the blank off pieces to fill the void of the safety.

Not having an ambi-safety isn’t a deal breaker for me.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #8

My Sig P938 came out of my IWB holster several times with the safety off. Rather disconcerting when you are carrying a single action pistol with no grip safety like a real 1911.

I think that has more to do with how firm the safety is rather than whether or not it's ambi, that and a combo of the gun design and holster.

Only consistent advantage I can see has been mentioned many times, that's off hand shooting, that and if you ever want to sell the gun lefties would be included in your potential buyer's pool.
2sharp2 likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
Super Moderator

My Sig P938 SAS has never had an issue like that, I think a lot has to do with the holster.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #10

I have a kusiak old fashion aitw holster and it has a notch in the sweat band in it. No matter how hard you try with my ultra cdp [which has a ambi safety] you can not turn off the safety. Like Chuck said its all in the holster.
Chuck43 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote