Essential Tools for Gun Cleaning - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Essential Tools for Gun Cleaning

PLEASE NOTE...I am not asking about any chemicals, solvents, cleaners, lubricants, or liquids.

I am only asking about the tools I need for proper gun care. I'll be glad to buy individual items if that's what it takes.

Yeah, I know I can go on Amazon and look around and get a decent kit but I want a high quality set of gun tools.

From 22 to 45 and from 410 to 12 gauge.
Gebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #2

No need to answer the first question. I got my answer and got 2 Tipton Bore Cleaning rods, Tipton brushes and jags, wooden Q-tips, etc.

How do you store your products and cleaners? I don't have a workshop.

Just purchased an ammo crate for all my ammo. My ammo is all my house in drawers and shelves and such. Time for some consolidation.
cousinmark and motormac like this.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Gebo View Post

How do you store your products and cleaners? I don't have a workshop.
I do have a workshop but I keep most things in a tool carrier other than my one-piece cleaning rods. Perimeter pockets help keep things organized as best ya can, along with ziplock baggies for caliber specific stuff and small tools. Those small needle bottles in the side pocket are great for applying oil where it's needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0407.jpg (1.88 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 03-05-2020 at 11:24 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #4

Very Nice!
Old 03-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

I've really simplified my cleaning stuff over the years.
A good quality one piece stainless rifle rod with jags (not brushes or patch pullers) for each caliber. Brushes for shotguns.
For pistols I like the brass one piece rods with jags again. The only time I use a brush is when I use coated or plain lead bullets. Coated bullets can leave hard to remove carbon fouling, and of course lead with plain cast.
Been shooting jacketed and plated in my Kimber, and a jag is all I need. (along with some Birchwood-Casey foaming bore cleaner)
A double ended plastic brush (toothbrush style) is about the only other thing I use besides patches.
cousinmark and motormac like this.
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #6

You could also check out a bore snake! Amazon sells little needle bottles that you could put your favorite oils/cleaners in and put the oil in precise places.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #7

A good quality rod is a huge advantage, I like the Dewey offerings. I have them for pistol and rifle. As I've been shooting lever guns more I picked up a Tipton range vice. I have the small collapsable version. It makes a great addition to the cleaning station. If I had a devoted bench I'd go with a proper vice. As I don't have that luxury the little Tipton cradle holds my carbines secure enough for cleaning the bore and creates the correct angle to spray out the actions and NOT get solvent on the wood. Then it stows away like it was never there. A well spent $25.00 or so :-)
I like to use a small 000 stiff bristled artist brush to get into tight areas too. Seems to get into cracks better than a Q-tip...

For storage I keep most everything in a plastic bin 28x20x15ish, it fits on the floor of a closet. My few rifle rods fit inside slots in the door of my safe.

Last edited by cousinmark; 03-05-2020 at 01:01 PM.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #8

Chop sticks.
You can whittle the ends into any shape you like, they're strong, and they won't scratch your finish.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #9

Most all cleaning stuff is in a big old Plano tackle box I wasn't using for fishing.

Most ammo has been moved to the Stack-On. Fit into closet just like I planned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StackOn Firepower Ammo Cabinet.jpg (4.42 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Stack On.jpg (1.56 MB, 5 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #10

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Chop sticks.
You can whittle the ends into any shape you like, they're strong, and they won't scratch your finish.
...on a related note. We have a restaurant in our area called "Groove Burger", it's an upscale (better than the usual fast food), beers and burger type place. I get the grilled chicken but my wife says the burgers are good? The sandwiches come skewered with giant bamboo toothpicks!!! Turns out those splints are great for digging gook out from under extractors and other such crevices!!! Like the late, great, Robert Hunter once said, "one man gathers what another man spills", there's some truth in those words :-). I always have the waitress get me few extra skewers when we have lunch there...
Wood is an ideal material to degook anything metal.
Chuck43, JC45 and motormac like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote