Magazine Question - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #11

New Custom II

In addition to the jamming problem, while I was cleaning the gun this evening I noticed that the inside of the barrel is badly scored in a circular motion. After 200 rounds; really? I saw posts in other forums regarding the barrel scoring as well. Guess I'm going to call Kimber tomorrow and return the gun. Honestly, crap so far.
SPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #12

Can you photograph what you’re seeing. Sounds a little strange to me. Also what ammo are you shooting? 175, 185, 200 SWC bullets, 230 RN or what? Home loads or factory?

I shoot 200grain SWC most of the time. I can make any of my 1911’s jam if the bullet is seated a couple of thousands too deep. Properly seated my 1911’s handle anything.

As far as magazines, I have dozens of magazines in 45, 9mm and 38 super. I have a bunch of ancient military surplus and various no name mags that never malfunction. They’re absolutely as reliable as my CMC’s, 10’s and 9’s.

Don’t make the mistake of equating quality with price. Just because Wilson may be the most expensive (do t know if it is or not) doesn’t mean it will function properly in ever 1911.

One thing possible although I’ve never experienced it, your magazine spring may be a little strong. It MAY be pushing the round up so hard that the slide can’t strip the round from the magazine. It’s also possible the lips of the magazine may need polished on the underside. I’ve seen one mag that was rough there and made it difficult to both insert rounds and allow the slide to strip the round and chamber it.

Good luck!
.38SuperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #13

When I bought my 1911 I selected 4 of the CMC Shooting Star mags and found them to be excellent in function and a great value. Then bought a 5 pack from Joe's Mag Mania and found the product to be well made. Compared to the four Wilson Combat that I "upgraded" to the Joe's mags had nicer looking welds. The Wilson's stopped locking the slide when empty indicating a weaker spring. This after maybe just 1,000 or less rounds through them. I sent Wilson a note and their response was...oh well. When I get the urge I'll spend the money and buy some Wolff extra power springs to replace those. As far as buying more Wilson product, I'll probably try Tripp Research next as I hear very good thing about their magazines.
Czechbikr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #14

Originally Posted by .38SuperMan View Post
Can you photograph what youíre seeing. Sounds a little strange to me.
I left that one to himself. I pictured it as being set up for trolling.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #15

I have many never used Kimber mags. Not that they are bad...I don't know.

In 40 years of running 1911s I personally learned to not use a Devel type follower in anything. Just my experience. I have a couple dozen Wilson 47 mags in seven and 8 round configurations. Some with steel base plates and many with the DE baseplate for mag wells. Some so old they still saw "Wilson-Rogers" on them. I ran these alone for about 30 years before venturing out to try others.

I really like the Metalform Elites and have tried the newer Wilson Combat tactical mag (cannot recall part number or model). But the latter would rattle even when fully loaded on my belt at work and noise discipline is a serious matter...

Unlike what some have said, preach etc...I have never changed a magazine spring on a 45 mag and usually I proof new mags then store them. my training mags are kept in my bag so I have W47 mags that have been in weekly use for 30 or so years that I have never cleaned or changed springs out of. I shoot about 15K rounds a year.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
I have many never used Kimber mags. Not that they are bad...I don't know.
I'm always a good "reader." You never know when something is new or a bulletin comes out with info that's unknown to you.

For example, I won't put a knife in my pocket unless it says "Ken Onion Design" somewhere on it. And even that has precious little to do with the knife itself. For me, the knife (or any product really) should fit your hand like a glove.

Now, getting back to your magazines, I have a "system." I buy (or trade) for a lot of magazines. And I have a policy, that is, "If they fail they sail." I'm not going to trust my life to a cheaper buck three-eighty magazine, no matter who made the piece of folded steel.

Yes, plus the fact that magazine can wear just like any other product. You might get dings in the body of the magazine that hangs up the internal spring. Or the feed lips widen from overuse or damage. And of all the magazines that have proven themselves, one of them is the plain-Jane black magazine that came with the Kimber pistol!
Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #17

Good to know I guess. I just haven't ever used the Kimber mags. You know the case size ammo box that 1000 rounds come in....I have two full of 1911 45 mags. That doesn't count the dozen in range bag and the ones loaded in each vehicle and left in the bedroom.

My mags get slammed a lot. Speed and Empty gun reloads. One hand reload drills etc. They hit the dirt and gravel all the time. I comfortable with my choices. Every mag fits, locks, locks on empty and drops free from each of the gun I have or it goes back.

I have returned a few to Wilson over the years that fit one gun but not another. I pull and debar and polish each mag catch. Some are cut back so that heavy pressure does not trap a mag on release.

Work and carry mags all have steel or aluminum baseplates (Dawson). Training mags with plastic floor plates get metal floor plates as they break.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #18

Well, Mike, I have used and abused a lot of magazines. And if all this gray hair is any consideration, I've learned that anything with parts is going to jam--usually at the worst possible time.

Now, if you read a lot of gun magazines, chances are "high capacity" magazines are the only kind that true killers use. Personally, I think anything with numerous parts will let you down at the worst possible time.

When I go out into the world, I take the automatic pistol off my belt and carry an SW 642 revolver. Look at it this way, revolver or not, the dead guy isn't going to say anything...
Old 07-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #19

In my early LE days all uniformed personnel had to carry revolvers. I hadn't shot one since I grew up with the 1911. I saw plenty of wheel guns lock up. Cases under extractor stars, ejector rods coming loose and backing out so the cylinder couldn't open.

But my friend the rangemaster was trying to get auto approved for uniform. The brass were at a class and a revo locked up during a course. Need a pry tool for that. Then when my friend was demo the course the bushing broke on his 1911 and the recoil spring launched down range. He finished the course holding the slide in battery and pumping it like a shotgun.

Going from the SW686 to the 625 (45 acp with full moon clips) reduced any issues by 50%...but no promises.

I will stay with my 1911s.... Though a small wheel gun can shoot through a jacket pocket without a stoppage. And a favorite when buying dope.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #20

Like everyone else, I went through an "automatic phase." But then it dawned me, do I carry an automatic because it's a superior weapon, or do I carry it because every idiot on TV uses one?

If I leave the house, I now carry a revolver. It always goes 'bang.'