Kimber Forum

Kimber Forum (https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/)
-   Kimber Talk (https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kimber-talk/)
-   -   Magazine Question (https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kimber-talk/65464-magazine-question.html)

Gebo 03-07-2020 09:08 AM

Magazine Question

I have searched the forum and it seems if someone were to purchase additional magazines, they should stick with either Kimber, KimPro or Wilson Combat.

Am I correct?

2sharp2 03-07-2020 10:22 AM

Yes, the ones you said and I also use Chip McCormick for EDC.

But for range shooting a lot of us use joes1911magmania magazines, great guy, good magazines, good bulk prices. He has a website and is also on eBay.

Oh wait, your thinking about buying a 380 or 9mm Micro, he didn't use to have magazines for those, only 1911's full and compact, 45 and 9mm.

Gebo 03-07-2020 10:40 AM

I got a Kimber Custom TLE II.

Still haven't made a decision on the Micro. Going to a big city next week hoping to be able to put my hands on them both and spend some Tax Refund money.

RickByus 03-07-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gebo (Post 960878)

Still haven't made a decision on the Micro. Going to a big city next week hoping to be able to put my hands on them both and spend some Tax Refund money.

That is an a really nice pistol. You will love it.

Whit 03-07-2020 07:42 PM

I really like the Wilson Combat mags.

Gebo 03-07-2020 08:25 PM

I actually got 2 Wilson’s with my purchase.

.38SuperMan 03-07-2020 09:44 PM

I think if you look far enough you’ll find folks are using a variety of mags. I’ve used CMC shooting stars for 30 years in competition (45 cal) and have never had a failure or issue of any kind. They’ve been dropped on concrete, in mud, walked on and generally been abused and never failed. I’ve never even had to replace springs. I use both 9 and 10rd. I couldn’t even guess how many thousand rounds have been through them.

In 9mm and 38 super I use a mix of Mec-Gar and Metalform. I’ve been using them for a couple of years now and never had an issue. Both seem to be made as well as the CMC.

I don’t remember whether it’s Mec-Gar or Metalform but it’s my understanding one of them makes OEM mags for Kimber and many of the other 1911 manufacturers.

When I buy I go to Gun Mag Warehouse and look for the best price between the three manufacturers.

Oklahomabound 03-08-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gebo (Post 960878)

I would add Chip McCormick as well...
just recently purchased 2 Micro's...
...a Kimber Micro CDP .380 and a Kimber Micro 9mm; the .380 came with 3 magazines... the 9mm came with 1 magazine--best price that I found was from Kimber for a pack of 3...

SPaul 06-28-2020 04:16 PM

New Custom II - Wilson Combat magazines

Dear Forum,

Sorry if my post is repetitive but today I attempted to shoot my new Custom II 45 ACP with Wilson Combat 10 shot magazines. The gun jammed profusely while racking it with a 10 round mag. If I loaded the mag with 5 bullets instead of 10 the gun wouldn't jam as much. Thru 200 rounds the gun jammed 5-6 times on its own while firing. Very frustrating. The gun range manager said sometimes it is the magazines not the gun. PS. I disassembled the gun and lubricated it before taking it to the range.

The only thing I know to do is go back to the range and try the Kimber supplied magazine and see if I have the same problem. If I don't, then it's the Wilson 10 magazines? If I do, the gun goes back to Kimber under warranty?

Any help would be appreciated. This was my first experience with a 1911 and it was not a good one.

Thanks.

Mustang 06-28-2020 06:20 PM

Might very well be the magazine. I've had a couple of Wilsons not being up to their net rep. Still I'm not going to say Wilson is a bad magazine company because of those one or two I've found. I have Chip McCormik 8 and 10 round magazines (before Wilson bought them), these work great in all my 1911s. Though I recently switched to Check Mate 8 round magazines and these r working great as well.