Reloading for Beginner - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #1

Reloading for Beginner

Have done some googling and it is way too much info all over the place.

Do you have a recommendation of a reloading kit someone could start with?

Or am I just thinking goofy thoughts?
Gebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #2

I have a Lee single stage reloader kit that I have used to load .32, .38/357, and .44 rounds with, and I have new dies for .45/.460. The kit is about $200, and die set might run another $30 to $50 per caliber. Check out Lee Precision.

You will also need powder, brass (cases), primers, and bullets. Everything has been readily available up to now.

I take a minimalist approach and go at it slowly, but I am really not much more than a beginner. I did take an NRA reloading class, which I would recommend, but the process is not very difficult. I find reloading to be very rewarding, and get satisfaction from shooting rounds that I put together.

Good Luck, and stay safe.
motormac likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #3

Rick or Phil will be your huckleberry!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #4

I'm hobbyist but getting fairly adept. I'd suggest starting with a simple kit. I believe many of the larger scale set-ups are beyond the needs of most recreational reloaders. You don't need much to dip your toes in the water. If you get bit and want to upgrade that's easy, if it turns out it's too tedious you won't be out much.
JMO...
motormac and Oklahomabound like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Before you do anything else READ about it, understand what's involved and what you'll need. Guides like A fully illustrated beginnerís guide to handloading should answer most of your basic questions.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #6

Go to youtube and search on reloading. Watch some of these videos and see if that is really what you want to do. I know reloading helps some when reloading pistol bullets. Reloading really helps when reloading rifle bullets. I have seen guys tune their loads to a specific rifle that will allow them to shoot 3 round groups you can cover with a dime - at 300 yards! All day long.

Search for some reloading data for the bullet you want to reload on the internet. Yeah, I know, don't trust it. See what the approximate amounts of the various items that are used. (Or ask us for load data.) Now get the prices for the components to reload these bullets. (remember, 7000 grains of powder to a pound.) If you are only reloading for a single caliber, it most likely won't be worth it as you can buy off the shelf ammo almost as cheap.

Once you have done this and formed some questions then come back and let's talk talk some more. Reloading can be fun and technical if that's what you want to do.
motormac likes this.
DeOlMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #7

Are there a couple of good books I should read? I thank you for your advice as I will go on YouTube and search around.

OOPS, Chuck43, I just saw your recommendation. THANKS!

Protect our 2nd Amendment!

Last edited by Gebo; 04-09-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Gebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #8

For starters... I'd recommend a single stage RCBS press and Lee dies for the calibers you choose. Get a Lee hand primer and a Lee Perfect Powder measure. Get a book on hand loading.

Stay sober, watch what you're doing. No distractions.

If you decide you want to do more and higher volumes, Dillon is the go-to for progressive reloading machines.

IMO, if the only reason you're thinking of reloading is to save money then I'd forget about it. Reloading isn't for everyone. You really have to enjoy reloading to make it worthwhile.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Hoffbrew and 3 others like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

I've learned a few things since I started handloading in 1968, and the advice given so far is spot-on. Get one of the reloading manuals from Nosler, Hornady, Speer or any other bullet manufacturer and READ the introduction, process and safety concerns related to the pastime thoroughly until you have a firm grasp on the process. That's probably the most important aspect of starting out.

After digesting the entire process, you'll be better prepared to decide just how much you want to invest to get started. The single stage press advice is sound, as that's where almost all of us got started. I actually wore out my old Rockchucker press if that tells you anything, and still use one for my precision rifle loads.

Start slow with the caliber of choice, keep all loads within 'book' recommendations, and you'll do just fine.

But.....here's what this hobby/pastime (sickness) can and sometimes does result in....complete "reloading brain" as my wife calls it, and at least one room in your home will be sacrificed. This is how things can turn out if it "catches on" so to speak.

The upside is that you can burn through a couple hundred rounds of your caliber of choice, and go home and have fun putting them all back together again, all the while listening to your favorite tune.

You'll also find that building your own ammo, shooting your own ammo is quite rewarding in terms of personal satisfaction. You won't really save money over time, because you'll find yourself shooting more, becoming a better shot, and just getting out more. It's all good and is really worth the time and investment. The key word though, is "fun!"
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #10

Start with a single stage press, you can always go to a Progressive press once you know what your doing and need more ammo. Plus for Rifle I prefer the single stage press even though I have the Hornady Lock n Load AP. Word of warning you wonít save ANY money, but youíll shoot twice as much. Best advice is educate yourself on reloading. (Hours on YouTube and books) then double check everything you do and youíll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote