Disappearing Kimber Model Lines - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #1

Disappearing Kimber Model Lines

Master Carry and Super Carry lines really are gone from the Kimber website. Did anyone see an official announcement about being discontinued, removed from production? I missed that memo.
I wonder if they will revamp the model line and reintroduce? I hope the trend in the industry is not replacing long standing models with less expensive more entry level models. But it kind of looks to me that's what is going on.
I was just thinking a LOT of the Kimber's I have or in one case did have are models no longer in production. Some I bought before they became extinct, some after then I decided hey I need/want one of those. I don't regret buying any of them. I sold the Sapphire Pro to former member SnowTao, she wanted/needed it more than I did. Lets see if I can think of the others: Gold Combat LE, Classic Carry Pro with Bone Grips (technically still available but without bone grips), SIS trio, Master Carry Pro, Super Carry Ultra+, RCP Ultra, TLE Pro (TFS). If I counted correctly that's 10 models.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 05-14-2020 at 10:16 AM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

There is a lot of competition for 1911s. My guess is Kimber is doing better selling guns against the likes of Springfield, Ruger and Sig versus say Dan Wesson.

They make such a nice weapon I'd hate to see them bail out of the segment entirely.
cnutco likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

First Kimber brought out the Super Carry line.
Then they added the Master Carry line.
They dropped the Super Carry line.
Then they added the Aegis line and KHX Pro and dropped the Master Carry line.
They are all the same gun with small changes, the Master Carry added the Crimson Trace grip to the Super Carry and the Aegis and KHX added the Optic sights.

I believe that Kimbers factory is equipped to only manufacture x amount of different models. In order to bring out a new product they have to drop an older model.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

Well KC, Kimber still offers a boat load of models, if I counted correctly 91 versions of 1911's alone with 31 of those being offered in 9mm. Looks more like changing the target demographic for buyers and not really bailing out of the 1911 market. You know offering several entry level pistols, nice pistols but at around the $600 price point instead of $1,200+ price appeals to the younger crowd. I'm hoping Kimber starts offering more round butt, stainless models that are TFS, threaded for suppression.
Dan Wesson 1911's are very nice pistols, I have two and glad I got them when I did the prices on DW's really increased, I can't truthfully say they are any better than any of my Kimber's.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 05-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
First Kimber brought out the Super Carry line.
Then they added the Master Carry line.
They dropped the Super Carry line.
Then they added the Aegis line and KHX Pro and dropped the Master Carry line.
They are all the same gun with small changes, the Master Carry added the Crimson Trace grip to the Super Carry and the Aegis and KHX added the Optic sights.

I believe that Kimbers factory is equipped to only manufacture x amount of different models. In order to bring out a new product they have to drop an older model.

Dropping tried and true models to produce new, different or redesigned models doesn't seem like a good business practice to me? But I suppose could be true.

So what is Kimber manufacturing down in the new Alabama plant? Are they open yet? Up and in production?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 05-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Dropping tried and true models to produce new, different or redesigned models doesn't seem like a good business practice to me? But I suppose could be true.

So what is Kimber manufacturing down in the new Alabama plant? Are they open yet? Up and in production?
I don't think the new factory is actually up and running yet. As the owner of 12 Kimber handguns how many do you think you'd own is they only made 3 or 4 models?
bigdog10 and Oklahomabound like this.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Over the years they have dropped the ones mentioned above as well as the Gold Match II line, Grand Raptor II, Tactical II line, black Warrior, removed the Swartz safety and changed the finish on the Eclipse then dropped all but one model. They've also dropped the Royal line. Removed the Swartz safety on the CDP line as well. Changed the Custom II line from all black to two tone. That's just a few more I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by 46QJI; 05-14-2020 at 01:43 PM.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #8

Kimber knows their sales volume for each model they produce. Every product has a sales lifecycle.

I'd like to see Kimber make some polished blued 1911s instead of that Kimpro finish. Forget all the tacticool milling, fancy grips and all the rest. Plain Jane 1911 polished and blued.

I guess it's a loser idea. Polishing must be too expensive.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, 46QJI and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-14-2020 at 01:56 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #9

There's no question keeping things fresh helps sales, maybe that's all they have been doing. You would think you could do that and not get rid of old standbys, but 91 models wow I'd never have guessed.

To the younger crowd, who has been buying bargain priced plastic fantastic stuff for a while, even an entry level Kimber is a big jump up.
2sharp2 and 46QJI like this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #10

One thing I'd like to see Kimber do sometime is offer some full size models without front cocking serrations.
2sharp2 and Oklahomabound like this.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote