Not a happy Kimber owner - Page 7 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #61

Custom II is about a $700 gun. Tinker with it if ya want to tinker.

Spending another $300-$400 on a gun you don't really want and dumping more money into it for fear of dicking up a $700 gun doesn't sounds like a reasonable risk/reward benefit. But if it's just a reason to buy another gun then I get it.
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #62

...if you want to be a gunsmith; go to school... ...if you want to just tinker with a 1911 and tear it completely down and put it back together; then go to gunbroker and bid on a RIA 1911 GI... ...if you are wanting to build a race gun, then you need to ask that specifically 'cause there are plenty of folks who have done that here about...
Chuck43 likes this.
Oklahomabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #63

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Spending another $300-$400 on a gun you don't really want and dumping more money into it for fear of dicking up a $700 gun doesn't sounds like a reasonable risk/reward benefit. But if it's just a reason to buy another gun then I get it.
I'm never one to shy away from implementing my ideas on anything that I think I can improve. Most of the time I'm right. But a while back I was experimenting with about a $700 gun. I was making progress. It was getting better. So a little more... and a little more... and... #%^! I found the point at which "better" became "inoperable."

I wasn't out $700, though. I was out a $40 part. A bummer, but not the end of the world. The worst of it was that it was going to take a week to get here. But that night, I had a brainstorm and figured out how to make everything perfect using the existing piece. It still cost me $40, but now I have another new part to add to my box.

So buy the expensive gun and hack away at it all you want. Just don't wreck the frame or the slide. Everything else is just parts.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote