Not a happy Kimber owner - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #1

Not a happy Kimber owner

As you can see by my signature, I own a few. The Micro is a great gun. it has worked great from day one. No complaints other than it is small and hard to grip. I knew that going in and its size is one reason I bought it.

The Micro 9 has been my least favorite. Its a bit too snappy and...the mags won't stay in nor will the slide lock on empty. Yes, I know this is a common issue. It is on its way back to Kimber for repair. (Kimber Customer Service is fantastic by the way!!)

I had issues from the get go with the Ultra Carry 2. After COMPLETE disassembly, an over night soak in Hoppes and a new recoil spring I thought all my issues were solved. I've put about 500 rounds through it since. It is now VERY fussy about what mags will feed and it occasionally fails to feed. Sometimes is half loads, other times it just skips the load all together. it is far from reliable. I do have another recoil spring set, but if its going to eat them every 500 rounds, I will be very disappointed.

The Custom two worked great out of the box. For the most part it still does. It has about 3000 rounds through it now. AND.....its starting to fail to feed. Probably ready for a recoil spring as well. Unfortunately I recently picked up a Remington R1S. OMG is that a nice gun. The Kimber feels so cheap next it it is not even funny! And it is far more accurate than the Kimber.

So between these things eating recoil springs and the CHEAP plastic main spring housings, I'm not a happy Kimber owner. (I did not realize they were plastic until I did the full teardown of the UC2). I replaced the housing on the Custom 2 with a Wilson Combat unit with mag well. I have one on order for the UC2. What other corners did they cut with these? Why does the Remington feel so much smoother than the Custom?

I completely tear down, soak, scrub and oil my guns after every range trip. (About twice a week.) What can I do to make these things more reliable? Any suggestions?
Oklahomabound likes this.
Custom II Two Tone
Sig Sauer P238
Ruger Vaquero .45LC, 8 1/2" barrel
Remington R1S
Remington 11-87
Mossberg 930....with mods......
Ruger 10/22....with mods.....

Unfortunately they were all recently lost in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico.
T56impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

I see the Ultra platform as a deviation from design intent and optimum configuration. Like using a sports car to tow a camper or a pickup truck in a rally race, it's kinda whimsical fun but not a realistic solution.
Bentlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I see the Ultra platform as a more compact and easily concealable firearm designed to get me out and away from a problem. At 77 my eyes and muscle mass aren't what they were in my youth but I seriously doubt you'd think the preformance of any of the .45 Ultra's I carry as whimsical fun or a not realistic solution to a problem. Give me a 8" target at 30 yards and I'll put a full mag into it. If you consider that whimsical then please tell me what you consider real.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #4

Hey, T56 you forgot to bitch about all the MIM parts Kimber uses in there pistols that add to the malfunctions and unreliability.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Kimber 84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
Kimber SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
Kimber 84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

Sell your Kimber’s. if I might suggest, skip the cheap plastic, crappy springs and inaccuracy issues in your sales add.You can use the sales windfall to get another Remington. Might want to hurry though, Remington is circling the bankruptcy bowl as we speak.....

Here is where your peeps are....
RemingtonOwners.com ? View forum - Remington 1911 R1
Springer XDm 3.8. 9mm
Taurus 24/7 G2C .40 (Hiking Sidearm)

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Outlier on the forum, highly suspicious.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Doons View Post
Sell your Kimberís. if I might suggest, skip the cheap plastic, crappy springs and inaccuracy issues in your sales add.You can use the sales windfall to get another Remington. Might want to hurry though, Remington is circling the bankruptcy bowl as we speak.....

Here is where your peeps are....
RemingtonOwners.com ? View forum - Remington 1911 R1

Reason why Iíd stay away from them till they stabilize. They are up and down more than an elevator.
On another note, sell all of them and buy a Nighthawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oklahomabound likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - Strategic Edge - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I've been shooting 1911's for as best as I can remember 68 years. Other then the fact that the barrel and sight radius is shorter on an Ultra (3") or Pro (4") then the Custom (5") what's the real difference? They shoot the same size bullet at maybe a bit slower speed but if you're hit by one can you really tell the difference? The only problem I can see is one's inability to use the shorter sight radius effectively. Again please explain the whimsical fun but not realistic solution, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:35 AM   #8

Imp, did you purchase all of them new?
Old 10-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #9

Other than when I was required to carry a .38 I’ve been carrying a .45. My Kimber Ultra in .45 is never out of reach. After a quick trip back it’s been completely reliable for more than 4 years now. Because of aging eyesight I installed Truglow Pro sights and like Chuck I find its very accurate. I depend on it daily.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, JC45 and 2 others like this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Bentlink View Post
I see the Ultra platform as a deviation from design intent and optimum configuration. Like using a sports car to tow a camper or a pickup truck in a rally race, it's kinda whimsical fun but not a realistic solution.
I agree the farther you get away from the original 1911 design, the more likely you are to have issues.

On the other hand, Kimber seems to have figured out the Ultra configuration and they are usually extremely reliable. Kimber would be my first choice in a 1911 of that size.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Oklahomabound like this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote