So I lied about.... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 06:13 AM   #1

So I lied about....

....not going to polish my new SS Raptor Pro....
But I couldn't help myself... I just needed that lil' bling of shine..

Since the full size model just has the flats done, I decided to try the same thing. First was the slide. I started with 600 grit and went all the way, (incrementing to 800, 100, 1200...) to 1500 grit. Here is the funny part. I ended up with something that was not expected. Evidently, either the slide is not perfectly flat or the beading wasn't reaching as deep along the edges. Once I was satisified with the look, I spend some time Flitzing it then a couple more hours polishing everything with Mothers Mag Polish.

What I ended up with is a very smooth, like ice, surface but in 2 different finishes. It looks awesome! It looks like it has high polished borders and still contains a slightly beaded center. The picture does it no justice. The center has a glitter like sparkle when light hits it. I spent about 15 hours doing this over a span of a few days. It actually looks like it has a glass surface...

Here is a photo highlighting what I'm talking about. I haven't figured out how to get a good photo of the effect yet. I also did the frame the same way and high polished the trigger. Doesn't look it in the photo because it has some oil on it. But it's like a mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raptor_polish.jpg (101.6 KB, 54 views)

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Banned

Looks nice. I always wonder if there is not some coating being removed that keeps the metal from rusting. Is oiling the gun enough now to keep away rust or tarnish spots?
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
Looks nice. I always wonder if there is not some coating being removed that keeps the metal from rusting. Is oiling the gun enough now to keep away rust or tarnish spots?
I would think so.... Maybe some of the knife polishers here can elaborate.
Here is a cool page about SS: http://www.shineit.com.au/questions-...ess-steel.html

I also used Flitz Gun Wax on the gun and on the grips. It made the wood look very rich and snap with color.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

Looks good, I would love to see pictures that give the full effect of your work.
bhunted likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:15 AM   #5

You did a very nice job. Not only does it look good, but it should draw from your holster like slick butter. Real nice!
bhunted likes this.
dave832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #6

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Looks good, I would love to see pictures that give the full effect of your work.

Thanks guys...
As for the photo. Haven't figured how to do it. Natural light has to be just right. I can try take it out doors, but we haven't seen the sun in over a week. Flash washes it out. I'll keep trying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 12-31-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Maybe some of the knife polishers here can elaborate.
Oy, vey! The damage!

Yeah, I can fix it, but I wonder if actually firing rounds will uncover other flaws.

You'll have to send it to me, I'll polish it for a few weeks, then fire it, probably scratch it at the range, polish it again, then test fire it a few more times to check my work.

...I'm looking at months of intense labor...

(BTW, if it's truly stainless, no it won't corrode in your hand. But 'stainless' is not stain-free, and it will rust over time. The good news is that you can remove discolorations and tinges of orange with the same paste you used on the original job. If you want better polishing media, contact Ken Schwartz).
Old 12-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Oy, vey! The damage!

Yeah, I can fix it, but I wonder if actually firing rounds will uncover other flaws.

You'll have to send it to me, I'll polish it for a few weeks, then fire it, probably scratch it at the range, polish it again, then test fire it a few more times to check my work.

...I'm looking at months of intense labor...

(BTW, if it's truly stainless, no it won't corrode in your hand. But 'stainless' is not stain-free, and it will rust over time. The good news is that you can remove discolorations and tinges of orange with the same paste you used on the original job. If you want better polishing media, contact Ken Schwartz).

Soooo, you don't like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 12-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

Tried a couple more shots. Cant quite get it, but it looks great to me.

With flash

W/O flash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 12-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
Banned

If the gun does begin to show stains/rust/tarnish/etc., you can always have it Cerakoted.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote