Super Carry Custom First Impressions and Range Report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By benaustin34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

Super Carry Custom First Impressions and Range Report

History: The 1911 bug bit me a few months back during a range trip with some friends. I brought my Beretta Nano, they brought a Kimber Custom II, SA Operator and an STI in 9mm. Of course my good friends allowed me to shoot their 1911's and I was smitten. I became a google warrior and read every review on 1911's for ~$1k I could find. I figured that in all the research and mudslinging around this topic, I really could not go wrong with anything in that price range.
It took a few months of squirreling away some cash and the search was on.
I found a new to me never fired Kimber Super Carry Custom. After some negotiating I walked away with it for slightly more than my $1k budget.
It looked cool (2 tone with micarta wood laminate grips). I was intrigued by the aluminum frame and I really liked the bobbed grip. Night sights, slick front/back strip and top strap stipling was a plus. It was a surprise to find out that this was a series 70 firing system which I was not aware that Kimber offered.
Unfortunately due to work, travel and weather, I was not able to fire a single round for about the first month. The suspense was killing me. I dry fired at the TV until my fingers were raw from cocking the hammer on a nightly basis for about a month. I traveled back home for Thanksgiving and was finally able to take her out for a round of 50.

Three separate Range Trips for a total of 200 rounds:
Note: gun was field stripped, cleaned and lubed prior to and after each range session.

Range trip #1
Ammo: X Ten Ring 230 grain ball ammo($14.99 on sale at Academy Sports) 50 rounds
Range: "A place to shoot out in the AZ desert near my folks house"
Targets: Whatever we could find, my favorite quickly became an old propane bottle that someone had shot with .22 cal
Distance: Approximately 7-10 yards

First of all, the 1911 is a coveted fire arm for a reason. They just "feel right" in your hands. The aluminum frame is definitively noticeable, but with a full mag the gun balances out very well. In my opinion the difference in felt recoil of the aluminum frame and a steel frame is negligible. The bobbed grip allows my short fat fingers of my off hand to cradle the weapon very comfortably. Shooting this thing for the first time was awesome to say the least. It was reasonably accurate, but that was not my purpose for this trip. There was a noticeable amount of trigger creep present. (I have read that this will get better after the breakin period)

I have 2 stock Kimber mags that came with this gun. One thing I noticed is that with a fully loaded mag (8 rounds) it would fail to feed on the first round. If I just loaded 7, it would feed fine. During the box of 50 I had about 3 FTF on the first round of 8, and one FTE. Since I was a google warrior, I had read that Kimber recommends 500 rounds of 230 grain ball ammo for the break in period. I chalked up the FTF's and FTE to this. Also found the grip screws had worked loose.

Range Trip #2

Ammo: Winchester White Box 230 Grain Ball ammo 50 rounds
Range: Local Range in Galveston Texas
Targets: Zombie
Distance: 7 yards

This trip was much better, I had zero FTF or FTE. This was true even with a fully loaded mag. Perhaps the FTF and FTE was related to the cheaper ammo. As long as I did my part, I could punch the center of the target out. It took me a couple of mags to learn the proper sight alignment at 7 yards is to put the bullseye on top of the dot. (With my Glocks and Nano, I am used to splitting the bullseye with the dot.) Rapid fire proved that muzzle flip is minimal and I was able to reacquire proper site quick enough. Trigger creep was still present, but was starting to get better. Grip screws worked loose again.

Range Trip #3

Ammo: Reloaded 230 grain ball ammo 100 rounds
Range: Pearland Shooting Club
Targets: Bullseye paper
Distance: 7 yards

The failure to feed on first round of a fully loaded mag appeared again. At this point I am thinking the issue is related to ammo and not the weapon or magazine. Additional range time will tell.
Trigger creep is all but gone now. Once again, as long as I do my part the gun is very accurate. I was able to punch out the center of a target, (it helps that it is a .45 cal)

Grip screws worked loose. This has happened each range session. Recently I installed #60 o-rings to prevent this from happening again. I will update how well this works.

Overall I really enjoy this gun. Prior to this all of my gun purchases have been function over form. But this 1911 definitely has the cool factor and I really like shooting it. For now, it will be a range gun only.
Islander, Lineman, bhunted and 4 others like this.
benaustin34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Nice Range report! Except for the lack of pictures. Some of the members like pictures. I aint saying they don't read so good I'm just sayin. I would like see a picture of your Super Carry Custom. You are absolutely right about the way a 1911 fits in the hand. The first time I shot one I became a better shot. Love my 1911's I have 4 now three are Kimbers. I must admit I came down with the Kimber affliction addiction.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Very thorough report. It will be interesting to see where it goes!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #4

Just noticed this was posted under the "Gunsmith" forum. I meant it to be in the Kimber talk forum. Didn't mean to do that, anybody knowhow to move the forum?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:26 AM   #5

I'm sure Chuck will move it when he wakes up.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #6

Wow. That was a detailed report. Good job.

Yep, the #60 o-rings will do the trick on the grip screws.

Find an ammo that works well and stick with it. Saving a dollar or two per box is not worth the aggravation, IMO. Most of us shoot Freedom Munitions 230 gr remans. Very reliable and the price is right, especially if you catch it on sale with a discount or free shipping.

Adjusting trigger pre-travel or over-travel isn't difficult, but you may want to wait on that until you are sure this new gun needs it. (see videos or visit your gunsmith)

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Thread has been moved, that was a great range report. Keep shooting it and it will continue to improve, my Super Carry Pro is my favorite Kimber.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Wow. That was a detailed report. Good job.

Yep, the #60 o-rings will do the trick on the grip screws. From what I've read this seems to be the option I liked the best. Hopefully it works.

Find an ammo that works well and stick with it. Saving a dollar or two per box is not worth the aggravation, IMO. Most of us shoot Freedom Munitions 230 gr remans. Very reliable and the price is right, especially if you catch it on sale with a discount or free shipping. I have seen their advertisements all over the net, I will give them a try. thanks.

Adjusting trigger pre-travel or over-travel isn't difficult, but you may want to wait on that until you are sure this new gun needs it. (see videos or visit your gunsmith)
I don't have an issue with the pre-travel/over-travel. The issue I was having was a noticeable creep in the trigger squeeze just prior to the break. Thanks for all the comments
Old 01-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #9

Nice detailed range report, good job.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:09 AM   #10

Cool Hey Here!! (It's a Southern Thing!!!)

Welcome to the forum from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
Monroe City Limits (2).jpg

Now THAT was a range report!!! Good grammar and spelling, too!! WOW!! I'm impressed!! (Maybe we can get Zoomy to give you lessons on how to butcher the English language, a.k.a "Zoomy Speak") As was pointed out, the only thing missing was pictures. I'm sure you can cure that in the near future.

Sounds like you are really enjoying your new toy. Shoot the hell out of it, clean, repeat!! It don't get no better than that!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote