Micro vs Solo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #1

Micro vs Solo

Any own both, had both, really can't decide. I'm not wild about the Solo trigger, looks like it could be more readily snagged than the Micro trigger...

Looking for deep CC in sportcoat breast pocket, drivers side door pocket in car, etc
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Super Moderator

With the Solo and Micro Carry you're comparing the 9mm and .380 acp. You might want to wait until March when the new Micro 9 comes out and compare that to the Solo.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

Lightbulb

I agree with Chuck. Micro 9 comparo to Solo 9 is the more meaniful dilemma. Hammer vs striker preferences will determine choice. Me thinks.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

If you own both, I would go with the Micro. To me it is more reliable and the unbelievable accuracy of the gun trumps the fact that it is not a nine mm.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

I know, it's Apples and Oranges to a large extent......and I prefer 9mm, it's all I own now and really didn't want to get into another caliber.

However, I really didn't want to "d**k" around with getting a Micro 9 and having to send it back for night sights and the ambi-safety. Thus, my thinking of going 380 and buying a Micro Raptor and having it for the next year until the Micro 9's catch up. I'm surprised Kimber would roll out three Micro 9 models and not "CDP treatment" one with night sights and ambi.......sort of sill, just saying...

Plus, I'd really prefer black, easiest to conceal in a variety of situations like at night, in your hand, in your waist band, in the center console of my car. For something like that I don't need a shiny SS piece.

micro_raptor_285x312_1.png
Oreste likes this.

Last edited by azguy1911; 02-07-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

We have both the Solo DC LG and the Micro CDP.
Both have night sights and laser grips.
The Solo has worked without any problems other than don't get the eight round magazines as they are crap. The six round magazine works fine but adding a third finger extension helps control quite a bit.
The Micro CDP is still a work in progress. It sometimes fails to feed the round to full battery ( about 1/16" short ).
Hoping this will eventually work it's self out.
Both the six round and seven round magazines work fine with the Micro but prefer the seven round for finger support.
I like the trigger pull on the Solo much better than the Micro, much smoother.
Also like the feel/fit of the Solo over the Micro.
The Solo is much smoother as a pocket gun as it doesn't have the exposed hammer of the Micro which tends to snag at times.
Got the Micro for my wife, but now she is thinking she should have gone with the Solo.
Don't know about the Micro 9 yet as it hasn't had a chance to be evaluated for comparison.
If you want a gun that looks like a mini 1911, the Micro's will fit that comparison, but for pocket carry and smooth shooting we prefer our Solo over our Micro.
Oreste likes this.

Last edited by Trex; 02-07-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

Trex, exactly what I was looking for, great little write up. Much appreciated.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

I'm not sure it is "apples and oranges" with modern ammunition.

First of all, defensive distances are short. If I draw my SIG P238 and plant three or four shots in your thorax, trust me, you've lost interest in my wallet.

And I must add this about my P238. It is a virtual clone of the Micro and Colt. Keep it clean, use good ammunition, make sure the feed-lips on your magazines are straight, and test fire all new bullet profiles.

My little pistol was once fired by three different women so many times that I had trouble hand-cycling a fresh round of ball into the chamber through all of the soot.

...it still wouldn't get a stoppage...
Markie likes this.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

I own both and completely agree with Trex. My solo has been perfect out of the box, lucky by the sounds of it. My micro does well too, just don't lip wrist it! It tends to not like it.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I know, it's Apples and Oranges to a large extent......and I prefer 9mm, it's all I own now and really didn't want to get into another caliber.

However, I really didn't want to "d**k" around with getting a Micro 9 and having to send it back for night sights and the ambi-safety. Thus, my thinking of going 380 and buying a Micro Raptor and having it for the next year until the Micro 9's catch up. I'm surprised Kimber would roll out three Micro 9 models and not "CDP treatment" one with night sights and ambi.......sort of sill, just saying...

Plus, I'd really prefer black, easiest to conceal in a variety of situations like at night, in your hand, in your waist band, in the center console of my car. For something like that I don't need a shiny SS piece.

Attachment 10884
I own a couple of Kimbers (Custom II TLE and 9mm Tactical Pro II). When I started looking for an EDC to pocket carry, I looked at the Micro because I wanted a 1911-type firearm. When I found is wasn't available in 9mm, I dismissed it because I didn't want to add another caliber to my roster. Sig P938 Extreme was the answer for me - black, 9mm, ambi safety, night sights, 7 rd extended mag. IMO, this what the Micro should have been from the "git go". YMMV
Oreste likes this.
bluzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9 vs solo

kimber micro versus solo
kimber solo 9 versus micro 9
kimber solo or wait for the micro 9
kimber solo vs micro 9

micro 9 vs solo

microlight versus solo
whats better the kimber mirco 9 or kimber solo carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.