Under size chamber on my Compact Stainless II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Under size chamber on my Compact Stainless II

Started breaking this thing in with Winchester white box 230 gr fmj, was really liking the reliability. After going thru all my stash of about 400 rounds of the Winchester and about 100 rounds of my carry ammo Speer Gold Dot 185 gr with zero failures. I bought a case of Armscor 230 gr for more break in and practice. First magazine had 2 rounds fail to go into battery, quit counting after that. The guy running the range said it was the Armscor ammo, and suggested buying Federal. Next day back at the range with some Federal 230 gr not only had the same going into battery issues, but they also appeared to be tumbling.
Got a copy of the SAAMI chamber specs off the Internet, and checking the chamber dia. with gauge pins it appears to be about .003" too small. Both the Armscor and Federal ammo although on the high side of the tolerance where in spec. I could send it back to Kimber, but I probably just get a gunsmith friend of mine to fix it or at least double check my checking.
Anyone else have this problem and or have suggestions?
TOOLMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hard to believe you went through 500 rounds without any problems and the chamber is undersized. No offence, but did you clean it? If so, I'd be more inclined to think it's an ammo problem unless something was damaged. Break the gun down and put a round directly in the chamber with the barrel removed to check the fit. If all seems OK, call Kimber.
Nellybelle and MPO Southy like this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Hard to believe you went through 500 rounds without any problems and the chamber is undersized. No offence, but did you clean it? If so, I'd be more inclined to think it's an ammo problem unless something was damaged. Break the gun down and put a round directly in the chamber with the barrel removed to check the fit. If all seems OK, call Kimber.
Yes I did clean it after every 100 rounds. I don't have any of the Winchester ammo left to check, but I did try the Speer ammo directly in the chamber as you suggest. They drop right in no problem, but thats not the case with the Federal and the Armscor. Some of both of those require force to get them to seat all the way. According to SAAMI specs the case diameter closest to the bullet is .4730" -.006 which tells me that diameter can be .467" to .473". I checked all the ammo in question with micrometers, and all checked within those dimensions. The Speer ammo is slightly smaller in diameter than the Armscor and Federal which is probably why it fits the chamber better, but they are all in spec.
Thanks for the input and no offence taken
Islander likes this.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I don't know. I guess I'd call Kimber.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Wink Problem Or Not?

If your Compact Stainless likes Winchester White Box and Speer Gold Dot ammo, I'd feed it Winchester White Box and Speer Gold Dot ammo!! Over 400 rounds without a hitch is one hell of a recommendation!! It gives you practice ammo and self defense ammo. Who could ask for more!!

Don't try to make a problem where none exists. It's like feeding a baby. If you give it what it likes to eat, it won't cry!!

I'm just sayin'!! WWB may be a bit dirty and a lot of Kimbers don't like it, but if it works in your pistol, go with the flow!! Take the path of least resistance!! I'm just sayin'!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #6

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
If your Compact Stainless likes Winchester White Box and Speer Gold Dot ammo, I'd feed it Winchester White Box and Speer Gold Dot ammo!! Over 400 rounds without a hitch is one hell of a recommendation!! It gives you practice ammo and self defense ammo. Who could ask for more!!

Don't try to make a problem where none exists. It's like feeding a baby. If you give it what it likes to eat, it won't cry!!

I'm just sayin'!! WWB may be a bit dirty and a lot of Kimbers don't like it, but if it works in your pistol, go with the flow!! Take the path of least resistance!! I'm just sayin'!!!
Thanks for the comment and your suggestion may very well be the direction I go. In fact I was going to buy some more Winchester at Walmart when I bought the Federal that the range guy suggested but they didnt have any. This is the first 1911 with a 4 inch barrel for me and we get along very well. Be a shame for it to either go by by or end up being a safe queen. I will find some more of the white box stuff and see what happens.
MPO Southy, Chuck43 and Islander like this.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I agree with everything Keith (lineman73) said, I have a couple of guns that are 100% reliable as long as I respect their preference for what I'm feeding them. I have one gun (over 21,000 rounds) that I trust more then anything with any load I can put in it except for PMC rounds. It will choke everytime on a PMC round, why, I don't have a clue but it happens. So who's fault is it, Kimbers, PMC's or mine for trying to get the gun to accepting it?
MPO Southy and Marshall like this.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I agree with everything Keith (lineman73) said, I have a couple of guns that are 100% reliable as long as I respect their preference for what I'm feeding them. I have one gun (over 21,000 rounds) that I trust more then anything with any load I can put in it except for PMC rounds. It will choke everytime on a PMC round, why, I don't have a clue but it happens. So who's fault is it, Kimbers, PMC's or mine for trying to get the gun to accepting it?
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

The same goes with any firearm....If it doesn't like the ammo that you put in it, there's nothing you can do but change the diet....IMO
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post

The same goes with any firearm....If it doesn't like the ammo that you put in it, there's nothing you can do but change the diet....IMO
I disagree. Kimbers biggest weakness is these crappy chambers that need reamed. I make them so they feed on anything as they should. Either they need to resource and spec their chamber reamers correctly or quit being so cheap as to think they can use one forever.

I have never found a Kimber 45 chamber that a new Manson finish reamer did not cut metal in. But I do go on about their chambers....
Nellybelle and TOOLMAKER like this.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #10

Talking Georgia Philosophy!! Ya Heah?

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Hey Marshall,

You can lead a horse to water, but if you can make him float on his back, THAT'S DOING SOMETHING!!!

Sometimes I crack myself up!!!

LOLOLOL.gifLOLOLOL.gifLOLOLOL.gif

TOOLMAKER, I found the answer to your problem!! Send your barrel to Mike240!! I'm on a roll now!!

Sorry Mike!! Just kidding!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 02-10-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote