Laser Sights for Beginner, Good/Bad? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #1

Laser Sights for Beginner, Good/Bad?

I am a (lady) beginner, starting at the target range to get familiar with a handgun and to improve my aim before even thinking about a Texas LTC. I have a Kimber Micro, so new it has only had 50 rounds fired thru it. I have plans on ordering (from Kimber) the laser grips. I was wondering if laser sighting helps or hinders a beginner on improving their aim.
My instinctive thoughts are that its like riding a bicycle with training wheels but thought maybe that was just my inexperience in the handgun world thinking. What are the thoughts from you much more experienced folks?
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

I wouldn't recommended it, to me it's more like a crutch than training wheels.

Start at 10 ft and stay in tight groupings and slowly go out in 2-3 ft increments and learn your gun and how it shoots.

Keep in mind with a small gun like that you're not going to be shooting 3" groups at 50 ft.
MPO Southy and Insta-Gator like this.
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
Super Moderator

My initial suggestion would be to learn to shoot with your iron sights first. Not every gun you may have to shoot will have laser sights and there is no guarantee that they will work 100% of the time. I believe that in most cases they can help make you a more accurate shooter and the laser beam has a big intimidation factor. I have a gun that came with CT grips and I for one can not shoot better with a them, I find myself chasing the dot.

I think a better choice would be investing in a
laserlyte training target laserlyte training target
and
cartridge cartridge
. It will allow you to practice shooting at home, you insert the training cartridge in your gun and shoot at the target which records your hits. I have training cartridges in .380, 9mm and .45, my kids and grandchildren love competing with each other with it and the practice helps make them better shots.
MPO Southy likes this.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #4
Doc

Originally Posted by Kimberleigh View Post
I am a (lady) beginner, starting at the target range to get familiar with a handgun and to improve my aim before even thinking about a Texas LTC. I have a Kimber Micro, so new it has only had 50 rounds fired thru it. I have plans on ordering (from Kimber) the laser grips. I was wondering if laser sighting helps or hinders a beginner on improving their aim.
My instinctive thoughts are that its like riding a bicycle with training wheels but thought maybe that was just my inexperience in the handgun world thinking. What are the thoughts from you much more experienced folks?
Go with what you are feeling! This gun world is a very "personal" thing and it is based upon one's preference. It's not a one size fits all type of thing! We're all different! While one in the gun community may not prefer this that or the other about guns; others in the gun community will. Things can get quite confusing with all of the varying voices. Do what is comfortable for you. So, if that means getting a laser...get it! Then train with it like we do everything else.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

The previous responders have offered excellent advise. It's your call, no really wrong choice, just your preference. IF you go with the laser, make sure you are comfortable/proficient shooting with and without it. I see the laser as an aid on specific weapons, such as super small arms like the micro where target championships aren't it's purpose, and personal protection is the task.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Spend your money on training with a qualified instructor and learn the proper way to shoot. Laser grips and laser target systems will not help you if you're doing things wrong, an instructor will. Carrying a firearm for personal protection is a huge responsibility. Learn to do it the right way.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

Go on the Crimson trace website and look at a couple of their videos. I've purchased at least six of Crimson trace laser sights for my pistols and they've always function perfectly. Crimson trace will give you free batteries for life when you register with them after your purchase. The Crimson trace laser grips have an on and off switch so you don't need to have your laser on every time you pick up your pistol. There are situations where the laser will come in very handy; in the lowlight or no light situations. And as someone else has already said the intimidation factor of someone having a laser dot on them can probably be enough to thwart an attacker in and of itself. I would never count on on that alone but it has happened. I don't consider it a crutch at all but another cool option that could make a difference for you in a bad situation. If you decide to get your laser grips I would highly recommend that you choose the green laser because it is a lot more visible in daylight.
2sharp2 and GoingSolo like this.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
My initial suggestion would be to learn to shoot with your iron sights first. Not every gun you may have to shoot will have laser sights and there is no guarantee that they will work 100% of the time.

I think a better choice would be investing in a laserlyte training target and cartridge. It will allow you to practice shooting at home, you insert the training cartridge in your gun and shoot at the target which records your hits. I have training cartridges in .380, 9mm and .45, my kids and grandchildren love competing with each other with it and the practice helps make them better shots.
I agree.

I purchased Laser Ammo brand. I guess they work the same as LaserLyte. I love practicing in my basement during crappy winter weather and when I don't have the time for a range trip.
Chuck43 likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

I have the laser on my 5" Custom Carry. At first I thought it was awful. All it did was shake all over the target. Then I realized it was my gripping style and tension on the grip and trigger.
I think it can be used to show you you need more instruction and to help you become more steady. You can always shut it off when you want.
I have never received my free batteries but I don't need them because I haven't shot it much. About 5 years old but I have other Kimbers I like better.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #10

As a training aid it has usefulness also. With your laser on and dry firing you can work on your grip and trigger pull by watching the dot to see if it jumps when you push, pull or squeeze the trigger, rather than spending a half dollar each shot at the range.
Nellybelle and Pops6116 like this.