Unlicensed Open Carry - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Unlicensed Open Carry

Looks like Oklahoma is headed towards unlicensed open carry. We've been licensed open carry since 2012.
I'm a little apprehensive of this new proposed law as it has no licensing or training provisions and I believe the same training should be required as with the conceal carry now has.
I believe that allowing open carry without proper training sets the stage for the potential miss-use of firearms and under certain circumstances where ignorance of law could lead to improper use of the firearm as required under law.
I prefer the conceal carry option for myself but am supportive of open carry.
Just would like training to be a part of the process.

Bill that would allow Oklahomans to open carry without a permit passes House | KFOR.com
swca likes this.

Last edited by Trex; 03-11-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

We can agree to disagree.

Your and my right to keep and bear arms is in the Constitution. There is nothing in the Constitution that requires a citizen to obtain training prior to exercising that right. Don't get me wrong. I believe training, either formal or competent family member or gun club coach, is a great thing. We all need to know how to properly handle and use our firearms. We also need to know when we may legally do so. But none of that trumps my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Too often I hear non-gun people want to equate gun ownership to driving a car. The are too many differences between the two to cover it here, but certainly we can agree that one is a Constitutional right and the other is a State sanctioned privilege. A gun in my holster does not have the capacity to do hard. A car that weighs 4,000 pounds traveling at 60 mph has the capacity to do great harm.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #3

...training is good?

...seems like allowing for carry without any type of training is asking for trouble? Do you have any idea what the reasoning behind this would be? WTF?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #4

Gee, I wonder how the founders and settlers of this country survived without having training or permit or FOID card. Many folks are too willing to accept the leftish regulation/restriction of your God given rights.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #5

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...seems like allowing for carry without any type of training is asking for trouble? Do you have any idea what the reasoning behind this would be? WTF?
Ah, maybe the 2nd amendment...

In Arizona you can conceal carry without any training.
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #6

As he^ said in AZ we can open or conceal carry with no license. The CC part has only been in play for the last few years but in AZ we have been able to open carry for as long as I can remember. I carry open and concealed all the time since I consider my firearm a tool, just like my pocket knife. Honestly, IMO it keeps people in line much more than you would think. Someone is a lot less likely to mess with you if they see a 45 on your hip.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
AZFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

I understand the thinking regarding government mandated/approved training but from a strictly constitutional stand-point, I highly disagree with the idea that the government should set any kind of criteria on who is qualified and who isn't. An "unqualified" person will make themselves know by their actions soon enough. Is there risk to that approach? Yes, but that is the cost of freedom. Just my opinion.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

wal-mart challenge :-)

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Gee, I wonder how the founders and settlers of this country survived without having training or permit or FOID card. Many folks are too willing to accept the leftish regulation/restriction of your God given rights.
...this has nothing to do with accepting any "left wing" ideals.
...Next time you stop by Wally-World, spend 10 minutes watching the humanoids entering and exiting from the comfort of your ride. Let me know if you can say you feel 100% of them would be able to safely handle a pistol? Hey, I'm not thrilled by the fact that many of them are driving :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #9

Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
Ah, maybe the 2nd amendment...

In Arizona you can conceal carry without any training.
In Georgia also. All that is required is that you are a citizen and do not have a criminal record that prohibits possession of a firearm. Compare handgun assaults of Georgia with Chicago. Now, tell me who has the more restrictive laws and training requirements.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...Next time you stop by Wally-World, spend 10 minutes watching the humanoids entering and exiting from the comfort of your ride. Let me know if you can say you feel 100% of them would be able to safely handle a pistol? Hey, I'm not thrilled by the fact that many of them are driving :-)
All the more reason to allow open carry, wouldn't you like to see which of those humanoids may have a gun on them?
Cucamonga kid likes this.
AZFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote