Is It Only Me? Soapbox! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Is It Only Me? Soapbox!

This is not intended to bash or directed at any Micro owner. Just on my mind.

Am I the only one getting tired of reading/hearing the horror stories about the Micro .380. Some of the complaints or questions, concerns come from people only "thinking" about buying a Micro.
I mean I get it you spend or think about spending 600, 800, 1000 dollars for a pistol you want it to be perfect. Everyone can't afford to buy several guns until they find one that works. Some problems seem to trace back to user error. Not cleaning, not lubing, using cheap ammo, using different ammo than recommended, improper grip. Some trouble were missed by Kimber.

I have fired a brand new Micro (Snowtao) and out of the box there was some FTF issues until we added extra lube. I don't need or really want a Micro.
Don't want to add another caliber to what I buy. But here lately I have really been considering buying a Micro as an experiment and to see for myself what happens. Maybe I have been very lucky with my Kimber purchases some new some used not had a problem with any of them.

Sorry I had to vent!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

I love Kermit!
Old 03-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Haters gonna hate lol but Seriously I do agree with you for sure.
I have no problems with mine or my wife's. She does on the other hand. She is learning to shoot and limp wrists it so sometimes it does FTE. Makes me wonder how many bad reviews are due to operator error.

Edit: inexperienced operator error
2sharp2, glokrok and The Colonel like this.

Last edited by Mini Me; 03-15-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

That's cool 2Sharp2, but let me assure that the failures with my wife's Micro are not imagined or caused by user error or ignorance. We took it to range and it did not compete with her P238 which has never had a failure of any kind. Maybe were spoiled or expect too much but it sure was a disappointing outing. I called Kimber about the failure to feed ( every two or three rounds); they are going to send me a new spring I've been waiting two weeks now. How long does it take to mail a spring?
2sharp2, cousinmark and Mini Me like this.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
Haters gonna hate lol but Seriously I do agree with you for sure.
I have no problems with mine or my wife's. She does on the other hand. She is learning to shoot and limp wrists it so sometimes it does FTE. Makes me wonder how many bad reviews are due to operator error.

Edit: inexperienced operator error
I have not had any problems with any of my Kinbers.
nor have I had problems with Colt, Glock, or Walthers.
But when a person reads the forums for this guns they
all have problems of some sort or on the other hand
their gun is the finest ever made.
2sharp2 and Mini Me like this.
- G. K. Chesterton
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #6

(Hi Arland!!) Yeah, and in the Micro's defense -- when I took it up and we shot it -- it have not been cleaned or lubed AT ALL! Right out of the box! And when Gary (Gator!!) and I shot -- the Micro (now cleaned and lubed) worked great at first, but... as *I* got tired from so much shooting --and working on my weird grip (hi again Arland!), we started to get the FTEs...

I would just say, the pretty little things cost WAY WAY WAY less than, say, a Porsche or Lexus -- and no one starts bad mouthing an entire car brand when there are some kinks in some new ones! LEMONs are rare, but tweaks are usual, no?
2sharp2, cousinmark and Mini Me like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

I guess I'll quit bad-mouthing mine if it gets me lumped into the limp-wristed group.

It doesn't strike you odd that it had so many issues but then came out flawless AFTER a good gunsmith "fixed" it? I suppose it's possible that I gained wrist strength and/or became a "good" shooter in the few weeks it was in the shop?!

I'm certainly no Kimber hater or I wouldn't be here. Well, I probably would actually - for the good company. Plus, I wouldn't be saving for yet another one if I thought the brand sucked. But I'm also no fan boy who believes that most issues are due to operator error. There are some very experienced people here who have had issues with the Micro.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

I had problems with my Micro, Sent it in and now it seems to be working good. I still have same wrist, same bad habits, I have a great deal of respect for all our members on here including Mr sharp, but none of us are smart enough to say every Micro or Solo problem is operator error. My wife has a New Fusion titanium edition and her AC went out, The Clutch on front of the AC compressor feel off in the garage floor. The man at the Ford store told me That was impossible, I was wrong in my diagnose of the problem. I assured him that I had the Shit in my hand, That I wasn't Wrong. Did this happen because she pushed the button wrong? Shit breaks, Shit doesn't work like it suppose to sometimes , And yes some of us do Shit wrong.
Mr Sharp I love you brother, This wasn't towards you just all of us General. If Kimber guns never Broke the Service department would answer the call first ring, Fix your gun the first day it was There and send it right back. Some Micro and Solo Owners are First time gun buyers and others are retired LEO . We should try and help the people that are having problems so they can enjoy their guns the same as others do. I have purchased my share of Kimbers And Love them, They are not all prefect , But neither am I.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

If you think select Micros or even Yugo rust-buckets have some issues, than go buy a dozen, modern, middle price, name-brand jackknives.

...not one of them will have a straight bevel...

Then but a TOPS for 1/3 the price you'd buy a ZT, and wonder why the expensive knife is dull. Trust me, your rant here at KT will go into pages...that is, unless Chuck, three hospital orderlies and several injections of Thorazine don't stop you!
Zoomybaby and Mini Me like this.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

Again people read my first sentence. "Not directed at all the Micro owners."

I said limp wristing can cause some problems, it was not meant as a statement for some people to call themselves out.

I did not mean to imply your Micro problems were not valid or that we should over look them.
glokrok, Zoomybaby and The Colonel like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308