Breakthrough Cleaner Review - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Breakthrough Cleaner Review

I had four pistols that I had not cleaned for the past 4 or 5 range sessions. Since some people were having malfunctions they we blamed on dirty pistols I decided to run mine dirty for a while. The only thing I did was put a few extra drops of BreakFree CLP on the pistols before each range trip. None of them had any failures or malfunctions. They were dirty enough to be good test subjects for the new cleaner. Pistols I cleaned were:
Colt Commander 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
SIS Ultra
RCP Ultra

I liked Breakthrough it did a good job cleaning. Did it clean better than Hoppes or BreakFree? No not really. The spray bottle is handy, you can give parts a spray and let them soak, then a little brush action then wipe off. It had no odor. I didn't have any problems with it. It looks like I used about 1 1/2 oz to clean one Commander and three Ultra size pistols. Really the only Con I can think of is it is a little pricey.

Also for the first time I tried Renaissance Wax. I like the way it smelled. I applied a small amount to all four pistols after cleaning. It dried quickly and I buffed residue with a old T-shirt. It is not a product that you can really tell is on there. I really bought the wax to use on the Sapphires and Gold Combat LE but decided it could be good for all of them and tried it on these first.

Edit: Added picture, this post was mostly an FYI in case you was thinking about giving Breakthrough a try. Not a debate of all the different cleaners in use by everyone today.
I am using it along with Hoppes #9 and BreakFree CLP and finding it helpful in cleaning certain parts and hard to reach places.
Thanks for your responses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160406_211449549.jpg (2.44 MB, 9 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 05-22-2016 at 08:40 AM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 AM   #2

Thanks for the review. I use the Breakthrough oil and I can say it works any better or worse than any of the other gun oils that I use. So I guess it works for me

I am not familiar with that Renaissance wax. What are it's benefits in general and benefits over automotive waxes or polishes?
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post

The spray bottle is handy, you can give parts a spray and let them soak, then a little brush action then wipe off.

Arland, you've given me an idea, I'm going to see if I can find a little spry bottle and put some Hoppes #9 in it.
2sharp2 likes this.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Donald View Post
Thanks for the review. I use the Breakthrough oil and I can say it works any better or worse than any of the other gun oils that I use. So I guess it works for me

I am not familiar with that Renaissance wax. What are it's benefits in general and benefits over automotive waxes or polishes?
Well Don, not sure if it has any benefit over auto wax. Google search it. I bought mine off Amazon. It has been around a long time and is made in England. Claims to resist liquid spillage and does not show finger prints. Been in use in British Museum for a long time on firearms, furniture, leather, paintings, metals, marble, ivory and many other items exposed to weather. I just thought I would give it a try, what can it hurt. I guess time will tell.

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

Arland, you've given me an idea, I'm going to see if I can find a little spry bottle and put some Hoppes #9 in it.

Chuck, that is an excellent idea! If I don't find another bottle when this bottle of Breakthrough is empty I can use it for Hoppes.

Let me know if you come up with a good spray bottle.

The spray (non aerosol) making application a lot easier of this product was the best part of it.
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 04-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

...you can get small spray bottles at most craft stores (Hobby Lobby). I'm not sure if storing Hoppes in a plastic container would work for too long? Probably would be a good idea to let that sit in the garage and test it out to be sure it doesn't dissolve the plastic? I don't recall ever getting the solvent in anything other than a brown glass bottle, may be a reason for that?
Chuck43 and swca like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Good point Mark, after I find a bottle I'll have to do a trial run with just a small amount of Hoppes. If they use a brown bottle just to keep the sun light from effecting it I can cover the bottle with duct tape.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

Plastic Squirt Bottles

I have, sitting in front of me, a pump bottle of HOPPE'S ELITE Gun Cleaner. It is in atwo ounce black plastic bottle that I bought at WalMart.
It is hard to apply very small amounts...it wants to apply more than I would put on a small patch. When it goes empty I will refill it from a larger bottle, as it is pricey.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoppe-s-El...ingMethod=p13n
scroll down to see the pump bottle.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Ol' Jim; 04-08-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Ol' Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...you can get small spray bottles at most craft stores (Hobby Lobby). I'm not sure if storing Hoppes in a plastic container would work for too long? Probably would be a good idea to let that sit in the garage and test it out to be sure it doesn't dissolve the plastic? I don't recall ever getting the solvent in anything other than a brown glass bottle, may be a reason for that?
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Good point Mark, after I find a bottle I'll have to do a trial run with just a small amount of Hoppes. If they use a brown bottle just to keep the sun light from effecting it I can cover the bottle with duct tape.

Nope and nope, I bought this 5 oz bottle of Hoppes a few months ago. It is PLASTIC. Brown but plastic. So plastic spray bottle should be fine.

Free Hound Dog nose prints! He thought he was getting a treat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160408_195507903.jpg (1.98 MB, 11 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Last edited by 2sharp2; 04-08-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Nope and nope, I bought this 5 oz bottle of Hoppes a few months ago. It is PLASTIC. Brown but plastic. So plastic spray bottle should be fine.

Free Hound Dog nose prints! He thought he was getting a treat.
...Hey, thats cool. I had ordered some #9 along with the Breakthrough to be safe, not sure of the size, next click up from the smallest. I think it came in glass. I don't go through too much, small bottles have lasted me for years must be I've just not ever seen the plastic?
...I like the spray concept even though you use a little more. If I try the Hoppes #9 in a sprayer I'll still be confirming it holds outside before I put it under the sink. If a bottle of that stuff were to leak out in the house it wouldn't be too popular. I don't think there's hearing protection that is strong enough to help :-)
2sharp2 and Mini Me like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...Hey, thats cool. I had ordered some #9 along with the Breakthrough to be safe, not sure of the size, next click up from the smallest. I think it came in glass. I don't go through too much, small bottles have lasted me for years must be I've just not ever seen the plastic?
...I like the spray concept even though you use a little more. If I try the Hoppes #9 in a sprayer I'll still be confirming it holds outside before I put it under the sink. If a bottle of that stuff were to leak out in the house it wouldn't be too popular. I don't think there's hearing protection that is strong enough to help :-)
I have a couple of really old glass bottles of #9 at least one or maybe both belonged to my father, they are really old, I will never throw them away. I don't know when they changed to plastic bottles.
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)