Picnic in the desert, Solo, Freedom Munitions, etc. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Picnic in the desert, Solo, Freedom Munitions, etc.

Hey, boys and girls. Yesterday my wife and I hopped in the truck and headed out to the desert to play with some guns. I much prefer being outdoors, rather than punching holes in paper in a dimly lit cave.

She brought her S&W Shield.

I brought out a few that I hadn't shot in a while, as well as the two that I carry regularly. The M1 carbine is just a joy to shoot--it's light, has moderate recoil, and makes crazy mechanical noises when it cycles.

I'm not excited about .32 ACP, but the 1907 Savage is a neat little pistol. The Ballester-Molina is a fun gun, as is any 1911 style pistol. Years ago I bagged a stash of surplus military ammo, and that's what I've been shooting since. It's now 60 years old, and I'm almost out. I should really check to see if collectors have a use for this, but I'm afraid that I might learn that I've been burning through valuable collector ammo.

My Astra 300 is a beautiful original, and it's also a kick to shoot. Sadly, a grip cracked. Getting another original, let alone an original in this condition, will be impossible. However, I think I can make a repair that will be virtually invisible.

The Sig P938 behaved flawlessly, as always. How boring is that?

The Solo didn't start off to be a nightmare as it's been in the past. It experienced one stovepipe in the first fifty rounds. Not great, but one failure does not a pattern make. And then the SHTF. Click. Nothing. Slide's not in battery. Drop the mag, slam the butt to extract the jammed round, and carry on. Then it happened again... and again. It turns out that the new ammo I'm using from Freedom Munitions does not fit a Kimber Solo. The shoulder (proper term?) of the 135 grain bullet is so far out that it engages the rifling before the round is completely in the barrel. It's about 1/16" out.

I tried the ammo in the P938 and the Shield, and it drops into the barrel nicely. But into the Solo barrel, it does not. No matter, this wasn't the end of the world. I had plenty of other ammo to feed the Solo, and I could use the Freedom Munitions in the less finicky guns.

All in all, it was a great day in the outdoors.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clouds.jpg (85.3 KB, 20 views)
2sharp2, Oreste, glokrok and 5 others like this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

Sounds like you had a great day to me. I have never been to the Desert but I would like to. If only I had horse with no name to ride. Very interesting group of guns you took with you.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Zoomy! Isn't that herion, the horse with no name? Say it ain't so. Rusty Iron I had heard that the old military ammo is very dirty and corrosive. I may be very wrong on that but we would never use it.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #4

Perhaps, but I don't leave my guns sitting around after I shoot them. Clean them in a reasonable amount of time, and you'll be fine. Right now I have a bit of .45 ACP from the 50's, and some .30 Carbine of about the same vintage. I also have a bunch of Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser. There's also some 7.62x39, but I think it's from the 70's. Before the Clinton years, I would sometimes buy guns just because the ammo was so cheap. Ammo could still be cheap, but the politicians are standing in the way.
Chuck43 and Hoffbrew like this.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #5

Wink My 2 Cents Worth!!

I'd have to agree with Snake. That 60 year old Argentine .45 ammo is surely corrosive. If you continue to use it, be sure to give your pistol a very good cleaning to get the corrosive goo out before putting the gun back in storage.

You took all of the firearms out in the desert; it sure would have been nice if you gave us a detailed range (desert) report on how the others besides the Solo performed. We love reading that kind of stuff.

I have seen a few of those Ballester-Molina pistols over the years at gun shows. I had assumed that they were licensed copies of the Colt 1911. What a surprise to find out that they were more probably reverse engineered copies of the Colts purchased by the Argentine government prior to the start of WWII. Supposedly they are excellent quality pistols made of high quality Krupp German steel removed from the wreckage of the German Pocket Battleship Admiral Graf Spee, which the Germans scuttled outside the mouth of the River Plate off the coast of South America. A very interesting history behind these Argentine pistols.

Admiral Graf Spee.jpg
The German Pocket Battleship Admiral Graf Spee,
scuttled, after a running battle with British cruisers
and settling into the mud of the River Plate off the
coast of Argentina and Uruguay. The wreckage
provided high quality German made Krupp steel
for the manufacture of Argentine 1911-type
Ballester-Molina .45 ACP pistols.
roketdoc likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 04-11-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #6

Wow Rob! You definitely took an assortment to the desert. I google imaged the 1907 Savage and the Seve Ballisteros. Never heard of those. Found the ones I looked at to be very interesting but I have no idea if they look like yours because there AINT NO PICTURES! Looked like a beatiful day to be there tho. Nice pic of the desert. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #7

Lineman thats a great piece of history. I enjoyed that. And glok your wrong, I see him and his wife on the ridge off to the left, and they're waving
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
Lineman thats a great piece of history. I enjoyed that. And glok your wrong, I see him and his wife on the ridge off to the left, and they're waving
You had me look, ya bozo.
roketdoc and Snake15 like this.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
Banned

Familiar looking area. Lots of junk to shoot at out there in the high desert.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #10

Ok, Glok. Here are a couple pictures of some of the hardware. I hope the captions and images come out in the right order.

The first is a beautiful Astra model 300. It's a little Spanish .380 with Nazi markings.

Next is a an American made 1907 Savage in .32 ACP. Although the finish shows its age, it's a nice original gun. The grips are reproductions, but I have the originals.

The last is the Ballester-Molina. It was made for the Argentine government, and was intended to hit a lower price point than the Sistema. Only a couple parts are interchangeable with the Colt 1911, but the primary difference is the lack of a grip safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
roketdoc and Snake15 like this.

Join the NRA