Required Safety Training - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #1

Required Safety Training

Im all for 2nd amendment, but after a visit to a public range this week it really makes me wonder if gun safety should be a requirement. Damn, at least two people had very poor muzzle control, and one guy headed down range while it was hot, and a lady was playing with her gun when I was down range when it was cold. This really takes away from the fun.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

First question is: Where was the range safety officer?
Chuck43, Hoffbrew, JC45 and 1 others like this.
KC4YIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #3

Correction: WHERE THE HELL WAS THE RANGE SAFETY OFFICER??????
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

While it's the job of the range officer I also think it's the duty of every person on the firing line to call out people not following the safety rules. I have no problem correcting someone who is sweeping the firing line with their muzzle and I won't accept the excuse that the gun is empty.
JC45 and Cybercycle like this.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Banned

Public ranges are dangerous. Shoot outdoors, by yourself or with a few you know and trust.
Lineman, Donald and Hawker800 like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

At the NRA range in Fairfax, Virginia they (Range Safety Officers) do a good job as one would expect. They are vigilant and always on watch. They are helpful and very approachable with tons of good advice and help. I see them as a model for all ranges.

I have no idea if the range is financially self-sustaining or not. Some parts of it may well be overhead for the NRA general budget.

Commercial ranges often do not have someone walking the floor behind the lanes, they have someone doing double duty at the counter in the retail space with a window behind them to see into the range. Obviously, not an optimum situation. My guess is that most ranges operate within the limits of their liability insurance and have to make a profit to survive so their personnel expense is kept in check. Not suggesting safety is compromised, just making an observation.

I have seen some pretty weird stuff over the years as we all have.
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
Banned

Chris Kyle was highly trained with firearms and got killed at a range when he was giving instructions or lessons. You can think of him as the defacto range officer of the moment. Good Lord, the guy survived the hottest spots of Iraq during its most intense periods.

Bottom line: If you don't want to be shot with a firearm, stay away from people with firearms, or at least those that think of them as toys. If you don't know them, don't trust them.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
While it's the job of the range officer I also think it's the duty of every person on the firing line to call out people not following the safety rules. I have no problem correcting someone who is sweeping the firing line with their muzzle and I won't accept the excuse that the gun is empty.
Absolutely correct!!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #9

I think it's crazy to turn to the government for protection anytime there's something unsafe - that's the last place to turn to. People are too afraid to take personal responsibility anymore, and I don't just mean those being unsafe; if someone is causing an unsafe condition for you, you should say something to them or as a last resort, make yourself safe by leaving. Personally, the thought of the government regulating anything more in my life makes me want to hurl - it's like letting a crack head take care of your pain meds. At least that's the way I see it.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

This was a state park, open to the public range with no range officer, self policing. I did explain the range rules to the people who really didn't seem to know and another shooter thanked me and shook my hand. There actually was an accidental shooting at this very range a few years ago when a 12-year old girl shot another patron with a shotgun while the range was cold. I can see that there should be better signage at this range for the common sense rules.

Chris Kyle was not shot by accident due to lax safety at the range, he was shot on purpose by a troubled person he was trying to help, it just happened at the range.
2sharp2 likes this.