Hey, you, new guy........ ya you! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree331Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hey, you, new guy........ ya you!

Talk to me, we have 6073 members here according to the forum software. We have about 400 members with a minimum of 10 posts that keep this place rolling and if I were being 100% truthful it would be more like just over 100 guys with 50+ posts. 350 members made 1 (one) post, were welcomed to the forum, didn't get criticized and never posted again, any hints why? There are roughly 2500 members with 0 (zero) posts. For the most part we are older guys by older I mean we have grandchildren and we love answering questions. I've never seen and wouldn't put up with anyone saying to use the search button, there no stupid questions the only stupid ones are the ones that go unasked. Old guys love talking and enjoy sharing what they can still remember. Why join the forum and then sit back and not participate?

I am open to any feed back or suggestions for improving this, you don't have to post here, you can send me a PM.

Chuck43
Old 04-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

This will be interesting? I am surprised we have that many silent members.
I agree why join and then no post. Maybe they all own Solo's and don't want to get slammed by some of the naysayers?
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

Argh me matee! Line 'em up and make them walk de plank Mr. Christian! Send them to their watery grave! Argh!

All kidding aside, I ran many forums over the years and its just the way it is. Some just lurk, others might be spam accounts, some bashful, some not smart enough to remember their passwords or realize they can get them easily. Get an account because they want to look at pictures which some forums don't let you unless logged in, etc.

Most forum software I ran has a maintenance/purge system.
I'd set parameters that would look at members that use to post but no longer do. Weigh it against one time log ons then no more for 6 months to a year, sort them and if there were to many, flush them. Then rebuild indexes and purge blank space to speed up the software and keep it running smooth. Update any mods and vila, good to go.....
Argh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Elapid and Cybercycle like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

Many people join and have an issue with their Kimber and ask what's wrong with it and when they get the answer they're gone like Marshall after the Skyy is gone at a party..

Others join just to read the posts and to see the pictures and decide to remain silent...I haven't a problem with that because I'm shy also...

We are a close knit group with a few crazies, but I personally wouldn't go anywhere else to find out info on any brand of gun because unlike other forums....we don't brand bash....

JMHO
Elapid, Markie, Cybercycle and 6 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

I think John and Marshall nailed it and I totally agree with them.

I've been called a lot of things but shy has never been one of them.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #6

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Maybe some who have joined realize they are standing among true pillars of wisdom and experience and thus subscribe to this quote. I for one lurked for a while before removing all doubt.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Maybe some who have joined realize they are standing among true pillars of wisdom and experience and thus subscribe to this quote. I for one lurked for a while before removing all doubt.
Until they read the posts from the Friday night "Bar is open" thread and then figure they may just fit right in.....
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #8

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
...we don't brand bash....
Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
.....Maybe they all own Solo's and don't want to get slammed by some of the naysayers?
May not brand bash but there tends to be some dead horse beatings when it comes to some particular models LOL

But in all seriousness I have to agree Marshall and John nailed it.
All the other sites I have "lurked" on this is the only one I joined and it was because the feeling that everyone is welcome no matter what. A real rarity this day and age with all the keyboard warriors out there that do nothing but troll most sites talking nothing but trash and Mis-information.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #9

There are so many reasons why people join or not join a forum. I think one reason for joining rather than just lurking is that many times you can't view the pictures without joining on some. There is so much learning to be gained by just reading, sorting through what you determine to be plausible, and using that information without participating.

An important part of whether you stay and participate is how you are made to feel welcome. There are some forums with tens of thousands of members where you may join and only be welcomed in your introduction by a half dozen people. That doesn't make one feel very warm and fuzzy. But that is not a problem here so much so at least that area scores pretty high I think.

When you visit different forums have you ever noticed that often that forum takes on a consensus feel? I mean like the knowledgeable posters with high post counts have an opinion that is shared with other members and pretty soon most everyone tends to adopt that same opinion. A hypothetical example might be the type of oil to use, one forums concensus might be to grease rails not oil, etc. Well, a new member not wanting to buck the flow might remain silent or if he has a controversial opinion against the flow of the forum might be hesitant to post for fear of feeling shunned or reticuled. Just human nature. Everyone likes to fit in so it's a matter of sticking it out until you've developed some friendships and made to feel like you can say what your ideas are although different and still fit in. I guess being on many forums over the years I have seen very tight bonds made and it's wonderful sharing the passion with those people. But just because you love those people like a brother doesn't mean you can let your guard down and not leave room for the new guy that wants to be a part of it. Just my thoughts.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #10

I enjoy reading about pistols and everything associated with them. When I joined here I didnt know jack or jill about them. I was never treated like a dummy for asking questions and l asked a lot. I never joined until l bought a Kimber. Im sure of those that have joined and are quiet many of them may not own Kimbers but are interested and want to learn. I say let them hang eventually they may become productive members and friends.