Hunting with Kimber .45 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Talking Hunting with Kimber .45

Has any one ever hunted with their .45? I'm going on a boar hunt in November and was curious if any has ever shot a small deer or boar with a .45 before and if so what ammo did you use and how close were you?
NurseAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

Hey NurseAdam, I myself am not a hunter but most of the guys I know wouldn't consider using a .45ACP out of a pistol a viable option. Not accurate enough at the ranges they typically need to shoot at. It also lacks the energy needed to humanely do the deed. At 10 yards I'm sure it would work on a deer or small hog but in the field it's unlikely you'd be at that range unless you were on some kind of game ranch?
Chuck43, JC45 and Cybercycle like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Hey NurseAdam, I myself am not a hunter but most of the guys I know wouldn't consider using a .45ACP out of a pistol a viable option. Not accurate enough at the ranges they typically need to shoot at. It also lacks the energy needed to humanely do the deed. At 10 yards I'm sure it would work on a deer or small hog but in the field it's unlikely you'd be at that range unless you were on some kind of game ranch?
+1 what he said
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

I would be hunting from a blind for the boar and it would be 25 yards or closer going for head shots and I would be in a tree stand and only shooting at deer if they came right underneath me.. I don't know if this is possible just thought it would be a cool experience if possible. I will also talk with the owner of the ranch and see what he thinks.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

I would think it would look a little like this...{not a boar though}

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Originally Posted by NurseAdam View Post
I would be hunting from a blind for the boar and it would be 25 yards or closer going for head shots and I would be in a tree stand and only shooting at deer if they came right underneath me.. I don't know if this is possible just thought it would be a cool experience if possible. I will also talk with the owner of the ranch and see what he thinks.
...like I mentioned it could work provided the shot were properly placed? Buffalo Bore offers a +P outdoorsman that gets you in the energy range. The cast solid bullet would probably be the better option? They recommend using a heavier recoil spring and buffer set up. It's good you'll be talking to the owner to get an OK, there may be objections as the .45 isn't the ideal choice for a clean kill.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Cybercycle like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the feed back and I will keep you guys posted with what I find
Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

I'm curious at 25yrds or closer, what North American animal would survive or run away after a proper shot from a 45ac. I'm not a hunter but a good head shot in my opinion wouldn't be healthy for any animal. No matter what cal.from 357 on up at that range and a true shot I would think would kill a boar.
cousinmark likes this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
I'm curious at 25yrds or closer, what North American animal would survive or run away after a proper shot from a 45ac. I'm not a hunter but a good head shot in my opinion wouldn't be healthy for any animal. No matter what cal.from 357 on up at that range and a true shot I would think would kill a boar.
A head shot from a 45 @25 yards would be difficult, a vitals shot would be reasonable to make but has so much less delivered power than a proper hunting rifle. Even with +p it would be 1/6 of a 30-06. Its not that the 45 cant be deadly but we should kill our prey quickly and cleanly as possible.
Chuck43, cousinmark and Cybercycle like this.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
A head shot from a 45 @25 yards would be difficult, a vitals shot would be reasonable to make but has so much less delivered power than a proper hunting rifle. Even with +p it would be 1/6 of a 30-06. Its not that the 45 cant be deadly but we should kill our prey quickly and cleanly as possible.
I totally agree with you on that. If it's possible to do humanely I'm up for it, if not then I won't