Kimber Custom Tactical HD ll vs. Kimber Custom CDP ll - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #1

Kimber Custom Tactical HD ll vs. Kimber Custom CDP ll

HI ALL!!.... I'm new to this forum and I came here to see if I can get an answer to a question as to which Kimber to buy.

I've narrowed it down to either the CDP II or the Tactical HD ll and was wondering what your general opinions were on these two guns. It will be used for home defense, mostly, and occasionally to punch holes in paper. I've heard the finish on the frame of the CDP was prone to wearing off fast? Since the price of the two guns is fairly comparable, this is no big deal.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is a better overall gun?
davidh5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois davidh5000, I own both a Tactical and CDP. Haven't had a problem with the finish on either guns and they both spend a lot of time in a holster. Since your gun is going to be a range and home defense gun I wouldn't worry about the finish since it probably won't see much holster time. The main difference in them will be the frames, the CDP is aluminum and the Tactical HD is stainless steel. Of the two I feel that the Tactical line has the most features for the money but either one will serve your purpose.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

Another welcome from Northern Illinois. I would have to 2nd Chuck's comments. I have both and the Tactical would be my preferred for features/price, and you would NOT be unhappy with either one.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

Welcome to the site from Tennessee! I totally agree with my Brother Chuck. I'm a little biased toward the CDP because I have a CDP Ultra but I also own a couple Kimber's with steel frames. Of course the Tactical will be a little heavier but that will be helpful during range sessions and not be a factor as home defense.
I have not had an issues with the finish on any of my Kimber's and the CDP Ultra is my EDC, still looks new. I believe during a certain time frame Kimber had some problems with the finish but I think it is better now. With use all finishes will show wear and if abused will show that.

No wrong decision here pick the one you like. Which ever one you don't buy you will probably buy the other one in the next month or two.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Well I could give a good argument for buying either one. They both have great features. Since you wanna buy Kimber it does not matter because it wont be your last Kimber you can buy a different model when you buy your next one they are addictive!

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

I didn't really see how I could go wrong either way. I know both seem to be good guns for the money. I do like the looks of the two tone finish of the CDP, as well as the melt treatment, but looks aren't everything. I just wondered if the Tactical was more durable withe it's stainless steel frame. I do tend to shoot more stout loads from time to time.
davidh5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

Welcome from Northeast, Pa. I'm another vote for the Tactical but both are nice guns.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

Howdy from Texas! Flip a coin and then buy the steel frame first. If you don't you will always wonder how sweet that steel frame shoots. Then you can get the lighter aluminum frame. Which by the way, shoots great. Welcome to Kimber Talk!!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by davidh5000 View Post
I didn't really see how I could go wrong either way. I know both seem to be good guns for the money. I do like the looks of the two tone finish of the CDP, as well as the melt treatment, but looks aren't everything. I just wondered if the Tactical was more durable withe it's stainless steel frame. I do tend to shoot more stout loads from time to time.

Just a side note, my most shot Kimber has an aluminum frame and it's round count is in the low 20's, Kimber says their aluminum framed guns are good for 50,000 rounds. Everybody that shoots it says that it's the smoothest shooting gun they've ever shot and I have a couple of standing offers to buy it. Shooting stout loads from time to time is not a problem, Kimber approves +P loads provided they're not a steady diet. Even if they were by going to a heavier recoil spring you can compensate for the heavy loads.
2sharp2 likes this.