Kimber Talk Forums banner

Handgun Hunting

6K views 51 replies 9 participants last post by  Chuck66 
#1 ·
How many of ya'll have ever used your Kimber or any other handgun for hunting? I have used a Smith and Wesson Model 696 .44 Special to take rabbits and a small 4 point buck. I have taken a 105 lb doe with my Kimber Custom Stainless II.

Deer Atmospheric phenomenon Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

Took the photo and then shot this doe at 35 yards with my Kimber .45 from a ground blind. Shot in center of chest. Dropped in it's tracks!! I have also shot a huge bobcat with a Smith and Wesson M&P40 full size pistol!

Are there any other handgun hunters out there?

See less See more
#3 ·
Took a buck with my S&W 629 Classic .44 mag. Have wondered if a .45 would be good for pigs. Might be kind of a long shot for a .45.

#4 ·
I've taken 2 antelope and a mule deer with my Thompson Contender chambered for the .357 Herrett. The mule deer was my longest pistol shot at 187 yards, he took 3 steps and collapsed.

Reactions: Marshall
#13 ·
Seven day deer hunting? That's not a season. How quaint. I guess they do that just so they can say they have a deer season too.

Font Number Parallel Document Screenshot

#22 ·
Seven day deer hunting? That's not a season. How quaint. I guess they do that just so they can say they have a deer season too.

View attachment 251
Hey Gary if you ever want to shoot a real deer head north! You only need 1 or 2 up here to get the same amount of venison as your 12. :D I am a bit jealous but I already don't have enough vacation time to go for the 2 weeks my season lasts let alone for months!

#20 · (Edited)
Oh No..........!

OMG!! Please forgive me for starting this thread!! I had no idea that it would degenerate into this!! :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: Sketter
#21 ·
I have used a Ruger Security Six .357 and a Ruger .41 Blackhawk for whitetail. Always wanted to test the Blackhawk against a boar.

Reactions: Insta-Gator
#30 ·
My biggest was a 10 point, but I don't think he was over 160, if that. Not a huge rack but nice symmetry. I've never been a trophy hunter. If I'm not going to eat it, I don't shoot it. That's just me.

Reactions: Chuck43
#31 ·
I'm a meat hunter also. I'm just as happy shooting a nice doe. Antlers are a bonus. My brother-in-law calls me "stupid" because I don't "score" the antlers of the deer I harvest. He just kills the deer for the antlers and gives the meat away because he doesn't like venison!! Not my cup of tea!!!:confused::confused::confused:

What part of Georgia do you hang you hat in?

#33 ·
Used to belong to a club around Monticello that was 3,000 acres. Those were good times. Owner sent in the loggers and raised the lease payment. We pulled out. Headed down to a couple of spots close to Columbus. Finding/keeping a decent lease got to be a PITA. Club broke up.

#36 ·
The heaviest buck was prior to my digital camera days but I have a framed picture of me with it. This is a picture of the last deer I shot with my rifle that was given to me by my Grandfather. I vowed to retire the gun after getting my first black bear and I shot this deer the same year I got the bear. It was also the nicest set of antlers I had gotten. I figured I needed a benchmark mount and it was sentimental to boot due to retiring the rifle. He was another deer that was big and heavy but not quite as heavy as the other. My wife didn't like the other guys standing around in the background so she erased them in this version.

This deer was taken by a 16 year old I used to hunt with in a group of people in WI. Those big bucks I hunted there tasted good because they ate corn and soybeans in farm country vs. the north woods deer I shoot in MN. We teased the young man about retiring from hunting as he would probably never best this one. It made the WI state record book and was just a few points shy of Boone & Crockett.

#37 ·
Here are pics of the bear and deer mounts I got in the same year that I retired my Grandfather's rifle. I am blessed to have a wife that not only likes to shoot but also likes my trophies displayed in the house! :D The bear rug hangs in the vaulted ceiling area between the living room and dining room. It is just over 6 foot long from nose to tail. The deer mount is above our entry way. It's hard to tell that it's a 9 point with the split front on the right side. He had a nice thick neck and still has some bark in his antlers from rubbing trees.

#48 ·
I spent 25 years doing that and then 15 years as an Outside Plant Engineer. As they say, "Once a lineman, always a lineman!!" My knees are a wreck, too!! I was one of those fools who actually loved climbing!! :):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.