Just a lil rant... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Just a lil rant...

Ehem..... Clearing throat.
Dang, BLEEP, effing, Beep, %^#%}*>~~, friggen grip screw bushings.
Not so long ago, I had to drill out the top screw on the right side of my SS Raptor Pro.... Was a biotch, but did it. Ended up trashing original bushing and screw.
I ordered nice turbo style screws and brand new bushings to cover any more probs. When I replaced them, I barely tightened the screws figuring, I'd get the o-rings when I remembered to get them
Well yesterday, I wanted to clean the gun up. Just happened to take the right side grips off first after removing slide, etc.
AND that same >%%+%<~ screw was seized again!!!! I'm like What the Frack! I'm wondering if the hole in the frame is oblong or something and somehow skews the bushing, scratching head. I never had to force the screws in. They went in nice and smooth.
None of the other screws, just that one!!!! So rather than ruin another screw, I just remove the lower screw and let the top just unscrew with the bushing attached. Those screws ain't cheap.
Makes me furious!!!!!!!!!!! Argh! Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

When you installed the new bushings did you loctite them in? Try carefully grabbing the bushing with a set of vice grips and unscrewing the grip screw now that the grip is off of the frame.

When I have to replace a bushing I always use loctite and wait 24 hours for the loctite to cure before installing the grip screws and I use #60 o-rings under the screw heads.

Last edited by Chuck43; 06-15-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Exclamation Only One Additional Thought.....

You seemed to have applied an appropriate number of expletives to cover the situation!! My only advice would be to get a bit more flowery/descriptive quality in your choice of expletives!!!

After 25 years as a Lineman, I know some doozzies!!! Add in the 15 years as an Engineer, that qualifies me to provide examples that are more sophisticated, scholarly and colorful than the average blue collar manual laborer. In other words I know some real high class trashy thoughts. Let your imagination run away with you!! Be gross, be obscene, be rowdy. It will make you feel much better!! Won't do a damn thing to help the screws and bushing, but you will feel much, much better!! GO FOR IT!!! #@$%^&*{}`<>?,./=-/*+_)(*&%^%$#@!~?><*/\|]}[{/?.>,<~`[email protected]#$%^&*()_+=-]{[}':';?.,<>?/*+-. ON A DOG POOP SANDWICH!! (In a CONDITUS PLACENTA cum sinapis , et caseum , et in cumulum stercore canem! Viola, the educated version..... IN LATIN!!!) angrymob.gifangrymob.gifangrymob.gif

YEE HAW!!!

Now THAT is how you rant!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 06-15-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
You seemed to have applied an appropriate number of expletives to cover the situation!! My only advice would be to get a bit more flowery/descriptive quality in your choice of expletives!!!

After 25 years as a Lineman, I know some doozzies!!! Add in the 15 years as an Engineer, that qualifies me to provide examples that are more sophisticated, scholarly and colorful than the average blue collar manual laborer. In other words I know some real high class trashy thoughts. Let your imagination run away with you!! Be gross, be obscene, be rowdy. It will make you feel much better!! Won't do a damn thing to help the screws and bushing, but you will feel much, much better!! GO FOR IT!!! #@$%^&*{}`<>?,./=-/*+_)(*&%^%$#@!~?><*/\|]}[{/?.>,<~`[email protected]#$%^&*()_+=-]{[}':';?.,<>?/*+-. ON A DOG POOP SANDWICH!! (In a CONDITUS PLACENTA cum sinapis , et caseum , et in cumulum stercore canem! Viola, the educated version..... IN LATIN!!!) Attachment 14537Attachment 14537Attachment 14537

YEE HAW!!!

Now THAT is how you rant!!

Lmao.....

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 06-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
When you installed the new bushings did you loctite them in? Try carefully grabbing the bushing with a let of vice grips and unscrewing the grip screw now that the grip is off of the frame.

When I have to replace a bushing I always use loctite and wait 24 hours for the loctite to cure before installing the grip screws and I use #60 o-rings under the screw heads.

Yes, did that, but what causes that one particular screw to bind is beyond me. I put some black tape on the jaws but no go. If you haven't noticed, those bushing are thin and easily cave. So I'm guessing that applying to much grip will just bind more.
What I'm thinking of doing is add a tad of green to the bushing and screw it back in and let it dry. Only prob with that is if it hits the screw, it will bind that too. If both gets stuck, that will be a dilemma. I gotta see how many bushing I have left. If I trash a bushing, no biggy. Just don't want to trash the screw.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 06-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Just a lil rant...

Ok, got the pig effer off. Screw is ok. Had to do a make shift torch job.
Didn't want to burn the grips so heated the ends of the grips, latched on and came out. Whew! Now have the new bushing in and letting it dry. Running out to HD to pick up the o-rings...
MPO Southy and Chuck43 like this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 06-15-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #7

I know it can be very frustrating dealing with grip bushings and screws.I wish I had an answer for you,in my case I just keep a bunch of spare bushings and screws and if worse comes to worse a tap tool and oversized bushings.These bushings seem to be my Achilles heel.I just recently had a fight with one on my Colt Government.It got so bad I had to go to the gunsmith at my lgs and he took care of it in minutes!Go figure!
Chuck43 likes this.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

I keep extras too. I had one left. The first time it happened, I took a cone shaped stone on my dremel, and ground the top off.
One thing I will say, never use flat head grip screws. They are the worse. Philips, Torx, etc.. Never flat. At least with the latter, you can concentrate a bit or stone into the center without slipping and ruining your grips. I swapped out all my grip screws and tossed the flats. Have a couple for emergency, but wont use them unless necessary. I'm still perplexed why just that one screw.

Thanks guys for the advice and listening to my rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 06-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #9

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Argh! Any thoughts?
Yes.

The bushings should be put in with some Loctite 242. It will hold them in place, but not so much that you would have a problem taking them out if you chose to.

The screws should always be put in with antiseize. It's good practice on all mechanical devices that require repeated assembly and disassembly, and it's critical with stainless or titanium fasteners.

In addition, get yourself a torque driver if you have problems doing it by hand.
Chuck43 likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #10

Just a lil rant...

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Yes.

The bushings should be put in with some Loctite 242. It will hold them in place, but not so much that you would have a problem taking them out if you chose to.

The screws should always be put in with antiseize. It's good practice on all mechanical devices that require repeated assembly and disassembly, and it's critical with stainless or titanium fasteners.

In addition, get yourself a torque driver if you have problems doing it by hand.

Thanx Rusty, but you're tool late to the prob. Did it all already. Maybe you can unwrap the mystery of only that one screw binding and no others.
Thanks again.....

Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II