Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #1

This was all Chuck's fault.

Just a few weeks ago I was a happy, tranquilized, former biker, whittling away through life with a full size 2-Stage Ruger/CRKT collaborative. Simple design, durable as a sledge hammer. I loved the design, but it was a bit too long in the pocket.

I said to myself, "Myself, you're a knife salesman, you can buy any blade in the world!" I then bought a pair of compact 2-Stage collaboratives, 3.5 inch blades, 4.0 inch handles. I figured I'd sell the good one and fix the bad one.

Then Chuck types (in the open forum), "Take pictures, we love pictures..."

It was too late, I had already taped, inked and started repair work on the bad one.

Bad? It would be easier to find a straight edge on Jayne Mansfield than on this knife! This was supposed to be my knife--stone sharpened, maybe 100,000 grit, in my mind I could already feel that perfect kirinaga edge the first time I "tickled the dragon."

Now because of Chuck, I had to polish it. After contacting several blacksmiths in the area (one was a real nice guy out on Huber Law named Burt), they all shrugged and said something like, "Smile and file."

So after three days, this 34 dollar knife has 380 dollars worth of labor and polish into it. This time I got smart, I didn't keep records and polished only when the wife was out shopping...

001.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited by The Tourist; 09-27-2017 at 03:41 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice work Chico, really big improvement, it shines now and for that I'll gladly take the credit.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

Yeah, it was supposed to be a jackknife for eating at Doolittle's, opening boxes and slicing beef jerky.

Now it's pretty. Now my wife will sell it...

(I wish you guys knew how screwed up this blade blank was. Worst I've seen in a long time).

Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
(I wish you guys knew how screwed up this blade blank was. Worst I've seen in a long time).
Chico, wishing doesn't cut it (pun intended) if you did a little more work on posting before pictures we would all know how screwed up it was before you started on it.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #5

Well, it wasn't supposed to be that kind of a DIY project. You did get to see the front tanto bevel--which was completely ground off on the obsidian stone.

These collaborative knives are solid and reasonably priced. But the edges were terrible.

The nice thing about getting the edges straightened and uniform is that now the knife can be sharpened like any other cutting tool. It's that first sharpening that's the real pain.
Chuck43 likes this.