It's all coming clear to me now. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

It's all coming clear to me now.

As you know, I just bought a S35VN knife from Kizer for 69 bucks. Trust me, that's a deal even at twice the price.

I also bought a pair of HD Tyson boots for 50 dollars off.

No, I'm not a brilliant negotiator, but it dawned on me why the prices were cut.

Both the knife and the boots were brown. I've noticed that many items, even pistols come in brown or dust-cammo, but most folks like black. Most Harleys you see are black.

Years ago a cologne for men called Drakkar Noir came out with a tag-line of "there's a power behind the black." As lame as that sounds--and a bit demonic--most of the guys I know buy stuff that is black and shiny.

In that regard, I just got another monthly Blue Ridge catalog. In truth, it's their "junk catalog" and lots of stuff is marked down or described as "limited inventory," meaning they bought stuff they cannot sell.

I looked for the Kizer, and there it was, an S35VN knife for 69 bucks, so I bought a second one.

As you might remember, it was a Kizar that Doc destroyed with in his kitchen--phone books, soda cans, and hemp rope. S35VN is a great alloy, and I have several in that configuration. I think only 3V and M-4 are tougher. (CPM-440V is good, but sensitive to hardening. Get it over 62 Rc and you run into conchoidal fracture).

I also bough some TOPS knives with brown handles and black blades. I think they look sexy, or maybe it's just the cobalt steel...
MonoLake, swca and starnovi like this.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

I am way more about function over form. As long as it cuts well, I don't really care about the color!
starnovi and PaulWVa like this.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Have you checked out thr 1911 knifes they have the s35 vn blades. Both fixed and folders.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #4

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
Have you checked out thr 1911 knifes they have the s35 vn blades. Both fixed and folders.
I was checking those out tempted to get one I own a lot of pocket and sheath knives but I do not believe they are of S35VN variety as blades go. I have a few buck knives. I know back in the day they changed metals in their knives. People complained it was to hard to put an edge on. Buck changed to a softer metal so you could put an edge on it easier. Good for a beginner but for someone who knows what he is doing like Chico might prefer the harder metal. I am not sure what the metal hardness was. Chico probably knows.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #5

For alloys like CPM-154, it's usually 57 to 59 Rc. For something like S35VN it can go to 62 Rc. I would imagine the guys in the cutting competitions take their M-4 blades to the mid 60s.

Ka-Bar knives issued to Marines were designed to "bend but not break. They used 1084 and 1095 (essentially old railroad track) and hardened then to 55 Rc at best. It was easier for boys to sharpen, and Ka-Bars were also used for pry-bars and hammers.

Right now I only have two cobalt steel knives. They sharpen quite easily, but wear like iron. I would peg them at the low 60s. Good knives for weekend chores and camping.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

My second Kizer knife just arrived by UPS about ten minutes ago. I took it out of the box (they also send you spare screws even though the knives are perfectly assembled) and like the previous one, this one is also razor sharp.

(It reminds me of the early Emerson CQC6s and CQC7s. The edges looked so rough you'd have guessed they were sharpened by an old wood rasp. But they slit paper silently without a fuzzy edge or an imperfection anywhere on the bevel).

Pictures tomorrow or Chuck will have me banned...
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

As promised, here are the pictures of my two new Kizer knives.

Good, solid feeling in the pocket. Incredibly sharp.

I did notice that because of the distal taper, the cutler ground the edge wider towards the ricasso, and the bevel appears more narrow at the tip. I believe this was not done by accident, but to keep the tip strong for "penetration."

We're not fooling anyone here. This is not a camping knife. When I picked them up, I knew these things were natural born slicers!

I'm going to buy a third one at this price!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG
Chuck43, MonoLake and 427malibu like this.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
Super Moderator

They look more like a pocket machete LOL.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #9

BTW, these knives are a variant of the one with which Doc chopped up his kitchen.

They have very thick liners and a liner-lock, three spacers, a thick butt plate and are sandwiched with five fasteners. These knives are not coming apart!

That, and S35VN is one of my favorite alloys. Sure, it's not 3V or cobalt steel, but how often do you have to field dress a 20 foot boa constrictor or slice the door off of a Buick....

In fact, I cannot think of a job a Kizer cannot do.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #10

As most of you know, I have duplicates of my favorite knives in my personal collection. Today I made my first triple.

I called the inside sales rep at Blue Ridge, and asked her how many of these KI4422s were left in stock. She said, "16."

Yikes, Blue Ridge buys by the hundreds, the top sellers can run as high as 1,500 items.

Now that the catalog for this month has been out for several days, I doubt this knife will live to see next Wednesday.