• 1 Post By Longhorn
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By Longhorn
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #1

Rougher than a cob.

As you know, I bought both of the Ruger/CRKT collaboratives to do some research.

I found the larger 2-Stage to be too much knife to carry around for daily use, but one hell of a woods knife. That knife was sent to friend out west since he spends more time hunting and wilderness camping than I do.

I had two of the 2-Stage compacts. First off, they're not that compact. Laying on a table it would be tough to sort them out. But in handling them, they are slimmer, lighter, and more of the usual size we all know--four inch handle, 3.75 blade.

I'll admit, the blades are not very sharp or straight out of the box. I needed an Atoma 140 on every one to straighten them out and make the bevels uniform.

In doing that to the last one, I realized I liked the look. So I just carefully "polished" off the burr on the belly and tanto bevel and did some slices. Amaziningly, it would make a good sandwich knife, and also serve a warehouseman well whacking up cardboard.

In fact, I think it could slice through a leather jacket.

Right now I'm having truck trouble and I won't get the F-150 back for a few days. I'd like to showcase the knife, take some pictures and show how a folder shaped only with the coarsest stones I have turned out.

Don't cry for me, Argentina. I still carry a razor of a Kizer and a new Protech switchblade I just got. I figured I had enough scalpels, I needed a chainsaw!

Pictures to follow.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #2

Just bought a CRKT M16-14 Dessert Big Dog. Waiting for its arrival. Hope it's a decent knife.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Those knives were always solid and a great value.

I hope you didn't order one with Veff serrations. I bought six sizes of round diamond encrusted files to sharpen and shape these serrations. What a pain.

If your job requires cutting wet rope or rubber hoses, find yourself a polisher in your area with these CRKT files.
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

Got the triple-point serrations:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAAJX42J6120
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Got the triple-point serrations
That was the best choice.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Here's what you can do with an Atoma 140 shaping stone and the hands of a surgeon.

Sharp? There are bushido guys that could remove you hand with the proper slice of this 34 dollar flipper.

I was thinking (always dangerous and usually painful) that I might use the knife until it's dull, and then go up a level. The Nubatama black 200 is practically an Atoma itself. Nothing gained there.

I do have some prototype 400 pink Edge Pro stones. Then perhaps a level from there. I do not wish to go past kirinaga because I doubt I'll cut fish with this thing.

That said, if I get an invitation to go for a boat ride, I can polish in 30 minutes...

Edit: Oh, I put a needle point on it just for fun!

002.JPG
Chuck43 and swca like this.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

One thing that bothers me about these pictures is perspective.

In real life, the tanto bevel and the belly bevel are the same width. I have to shoot the pictures at an angle otherwise I get reflections on the shiny spots.

I was just amazed that if need be, I can "polish" a knife with a metal shaping stone, and an Atoma 140 at that.

If a mythical fishing trip popped up, I know that polishing with a 2000 speckled, any 5000, then a 10,000 grit would cleanly slice any catch.

I might have to re-profile the bevel a degree or two, but it could be done. And best of all, there's only 34 bucks on the table.

(In my right front pants pocket is the new Protech switchblade. I played with the Ruger/CRKT flipper today instead...)

Last edited by The Tourist; 11-10-2017 at 05:14 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote