The Man Who Stropped for Integrity Balance - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

The Man Who Stropped for Integrity Balance

I have a new project I just began. First step, tape up the decorative parts and inspect the edge under strong light and a loupe' for defects.

Only one small grinding error. While the two bevels meet nicely on both sides, the grinder did it by cheating. Both left side bevels are uniform to each other.

The right side tanto bevel is a tad wider at the tip than where it meets the belly bevel.

Fortunately for me the right side belly bevel is thinner than the left side one. I have a bit of extra metal to play with.

BTW, pardon the pun with the title, but I do like my knife bevels uniform front to back and left to right. "Integrity Balance."

Double click on the tanto point to enlarge the photo, you'll see how far it's off.

001.JPG

002.JPG
Elf1 likes this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 11-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I got that knife from my son, a client gave it to him as a little extra thank you for some work he had done for him. The knife is new, never use to cut anything when I got it but was it very dull. I couldn't believe that it wouldn't cut paper, it just screamed for Chico's magic touch.
2sharp2 and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by Chuck43; 11-27-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

That's not unusual. Most people scream at me...
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Chico, I love the pun in the thread title, and I believe we should all strive for integrity balance. Stay sharp...
Old 11-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

I have never mastered sharpening a knife. I wish there was a solution for a novice that really worked.
Proverbs 17:28 "EVEN A FOOL IS THOUGHT TO BE WISE WHEN HE REMAINS SILENT; HE IS THOUGHT TO BE PRUDENT WHEN HE KEEPS HIS MOUTH SHUT".

In short "be slow to speak" but resolute when you do!
REPickens911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:01 AM   #6

Originally Posted by REPickens911 View Post
I have never mastered sharpening a knife. I wish there was a solution for a novice that really worked.
Sorry, but there isn't. I am not a togishi, but I use their tools and it took me years before I was happy with my work.

I advise beginning with a simple, old, straight blade and a guided sharpening system. See what pressing does. The first edge you cut will be as crooked as a dirt road.

I know only one guy who mastered the art of the edge within weeks. And his name must never be spoken.
REPickens911 likes this.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

Yikes, no wonder this blade didn't cut! The grinder must do lawnmower blades on the side! I have no idea what grit that wheel was, but somewhere a concrete mason is short an impact tool!

You can see the individual grinding marks on the belly. And I hope you can see the tanto tip and just where my shaper rode.

It cut low near the bevels' junction and there is about 1/16 of an inch of untouched inch on the tip.

In other words, no two parts of the bevel match. The tip is a set at a differing degree than the start of its own bevel--like it was rounded off as the grinding wheel left the blade.

I'm using a special 5/8 width Atoma 140 Ken Schwartz made for me, it's good at getting into nooks and crannies. The shaping will be the hard part--make two cuts and flip, make two cuts on the obverse side and flip, make two more cuts and flip...

Oh, yeah, and all four bevels have to meet in the same place. Right now, I haven't a clue where that is.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG
PaulWVa and REPickens911 like this.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Super Moderator

LOL, I love your description there Chico, I think you really nailed it.
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

Glad you love the description, and hope you love the knife. Oy, vey!

Well, I have all the tools to repair it. In fact, I have more than a dozen 1/2 size stones Ben Dale sent me over a decade ago. I can make all the twists and turns.

The trick will be getting four bevels to be uniform in size, razor sharp, and make a little pyramid where they all meet.

I just wanted you to see the grinding marks the factory left on the belly bevel. It looks like they were going to make it a serrated knife, then changed their minds.

This is a defensive tool, it was made to save a life. If I would have the Q/C supervisor, I would have sent the knife back for repair and sharpening.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #10

Originally Posted by REPickens911 View Post
practice ... practice ... practice Go to a gun or knife show and pick up some cheap knives and practice. The skill will come in time.
Jflytle and Old Timer 57 like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote