Which Benchmade - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Which Benchmade

I am going to get a Benchmade knife and was wondering what would be a good choice
Old 12-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Super Moderator

That's a hard question to answer, what do you want to do with it? My EDC right now is the sharpest knife I've ever owned, I bought it from Chico. It's a "CRKT No Time Off" I've had it for a year and it's almost perfect, you could shave hair or split logs with it but it lacks a real point for digging into things. My new knife is a Tanto blade, I'm hoping this one will hit the sweet spot. It's the one Chico has in his latest thread. You might want to talk with Chico about a new knife, he's a dealer and professional polisher.

FYI Chico is "The Tourist" Bada Bing Cutlery
Dude22, 2sharp2, Jack4951 and 1 others like this.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #3

Chuck just a EDC knife

Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #4

The feature I like better than all others is the Benchmade Axis lock. It's rock solid reliable and silky smooth to operate with either hand. The one I carry most of the time is the Adamas. It's a rugged tool, but it's a little on the large side. The other I like is a Griptillian auto. It's smaller and a little more comfortable to carry. But just like guns, if you need to use it for business, bigger is better.
Chuck43 and Jack4951 like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 12-09-2017 at 02:16 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

If you're a deer hunter, you'll know the expression "think backwards." In other words, imagine yourself standing over a one-shot trophy buck. How did you get to that moment? How far were you away, dense woods or open ground, doe or buck, reloads or factory, etc.

Then go home and open your gun safe, pick the rifle or pistol that makes the dream come true. If you're an avid reloader but you know the particular firearm is more accurate with factory, swallow your pride. You have now chosen the perfect set of tools to make your dream hunt come true.

Knives are the same way. When you say "EDC," you mean everything from sandwiches to UPS boxes to muggers. Start with the alloy. I'm a sucker for 3V, but S35VN is becoming more common and a great choice. If corrosion is a problem because you live near salt water, consider 440C or ZDP-189.

I'd look for a knife with a four inch handle and 3.5 inch blade. Serrations are a pain and seldom needed, unless you spend a lot of time on the water. Sailors hate to waste line, but wet rope is a fact of life.

Then go find this knife. Hold it, slip it in your pocket or jacket. Check the build quality. Look at the left bevel, then flip the knife over to see if the right side bevel is a mirror image.

Here's an example, I can buy any knife made in the world for half price. My EDC is a Ruger/CRKT 2-Stage Compact, re-profiled with a 140 grit Atoma. Cost me 43 bucks. It takes cardboard apart faster than a Yugo hitting an AMC Pacer.

BTW, Chuck set up the knife section here to share ideas, encourage DIY projects, where to find products, showcase new knives and demonstrate sharpening techniques.

Ask any question. Knife people are some of friendliest folks on earth.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 4 others like this.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Hi Tourist
I liked this post and you pointed out things I didn't know or think about
So do you not recommend a Benchmade
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #7

Oh, no, they are good knives. You just have to judge them as you would any consumer product.

If you have already used one, it met your needs and the price point was acceptable, then that's the knife you should carry.

I believe they still offer "life sharp" as well as a warranty.

My comments encompassed any maker's product. What was the feature(s) that appealed to you?

Last edited by The Tourist; 12-02-2017 at 12:29 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #8

My EDC is a Benchmade - Mini Griptilian 557 Knife, Tanto. I have carried it for over 10 years. I really like it. Best to handle the knife and see how it fits. Most gun shows have knife exhibits where you can see the whole line. Check one out. It really speeds up the decision process and you can also see cool guns at the same time! :-)
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #9

I like Cold Steel, Kabar, and Gerber (in that order). Not trying to change your mind, just giving you something to think about. My EDC is a Ka-Bar Jarosz Tanto Folder Knife (3.5 in. blade) in AUS 8A steel. Great for everything from packing cartons to dead deer to muggers!
Savage 10FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor
CZ-453 .22LR
Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II
Kimber Custom Target II
S&W Performance Center M&P 9 Shield
S&W .22 LR Model 34-1
Sig Sauer 1911-22
Mossberg SA-20
GAMO Whisper G2
kretch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #10

Originally Posted by kretch50 View Post
I like Cold Steel, Kabar, and Gerber (in that order).
Gerber is a kick ass company. 15-20 years ago I carried and used their multitool every day. Their steel is a little brittle, but their design is the most useful for my purposes. I'd damage it, repair it, damage it, repair it, just like any other tool.

One time I REALLY broke it, so I sent it in for repair. But I didn't want to be without it, so I bought another. In the meantime, I forgot all about the one I sent in for repair. Years passed.

One day I remembered about the Gerber multitool that was sent in for repair, but never received it back. It was a bummer, because I no longer had the shipping info, any data, or paperwork. But I called them anyway. I told the lady that I sent in a product for repair years prior, and didn't have any information. I expected her to laugh at me, but instead, she searched through her customer data and found me. She said the knife was repaired, but the UPS guy said that my address didn't exist, and the package was undeliverable. My tool was long gone, so she just sent me out a new one. I thought that was pretty nice.
Chuck43, Dude22, 2sharp2 and 1 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote