Pictures, collections, and DIY projects. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Pictures, collections, and DIY projects.

Had a great (and funny) conversation with Chuck last night. During the reverie we discussed this segment of the forum and how to attract more members.

Knives are better than ever before on the whole. For example, one of the most popular is the Barge, the favorite son to both women and preppers. I buy them in lots at 14 bucks each, and I have trouble hanging onto them. I have more coming this week, in fact.

But we'd like to see other projects and the cutting tools of all members. Gun guys are usually knife guys. And with the influx of Japanese tools and polishes, even a nine dollar knife can become a scalpel.

We should also give a nod to fixed blade knives. Granted, I'm a big fan of the TOPS C.A.T., but the strongest, sharpest and most indestructible knife I own is a Bradford Guardian 4 in 3V alloy. I also have the little Guardian 3 also in 3V alloy, but the TOPS usually steals that position due to familiarity.

So if you have a knife, let's see it. If you want to do a project, show us how it's coming.

BTW, I switched over to Japanese stones simply for the quality. Yes, I still use Edge Pro stones and fixtures from HandAmerican. I also use that big, black brick. I'll steal ideas from anyone.

But 75% of my success is getting advice from Ken Schwartz. I'm also periodically in touch with Rob Babcock, to my thinking he's the best polisher since Dwade Hawley.

Here is my collection of stones, so "May The Schwartz Be With You."

001.JPG
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

Frankly Iím tired of sharpening my knives. Me EDC is a Kershaw 1620 which I donít mind , too much, but for the past 20 years or so Iíve cooked dinner nightly and keeping all my knives sharp is becoming wearisome. I need to find someone who is willing to keep them sharp for me.
Any takers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1700647B-3FFF-45F2-AC82-B9811BD6F797.jpeg (1.34 MB, 6 views)
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.

Last edited by Wingnut; 12-15-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

First question, how are you sharpening them?

If you're using a two sided stone and oil, the only thing you'll accomplish is getting it sharp by accident.

The problem is how we Americans sharpen. Ask most guys and they'll say something like, "My grandpa taught me." It's one generation just repeating what the last generation taught them.

In the glory days of 1084 and 1095 steel, you could get away with that. Modern steels are more complex and hardened beyond the post WWII alloys. I always joke that what Americans consider "sharp," the Japanese consider "broken."

But I will tell you this. Like anything else, study up. Places like YouTube have videos of cutting tools being sharpened and polished.

That's how I learned. I am not a togishi, and I've never had a lesson with a professional standing next to me. But I did speak with Ken, and Ben Dale, Rob Babcock and Dwade Hawley and slowly learned my craft.

I would advise you to buy a 600 or 800 grit stone and big, black magic marker. Sharpen so both sides match in uniformity, and then do a few very light licks to remove any remaining burr. Then slice a piece of newsprint, and you'll surprise yourself.

When you next gleefully look for another dull knife, you will have caught "the curse."
Chuck43, Tejun, 427malibu and 2 others like this.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

I’ve used stones for decades but then got lazy and bought a Chef’s Choice diamond machine. Boy what a mistake that was, took me a long time to repair the damage it caused. I’m not too bad with a stone just got lazy and am quickly running out of patience with old age.
Chuck43, Tejun and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

I used to be decent with a stone, but I just don't have the patience any more so I just keep them sharp that you'll have bad day if I have to use it on you
Chuck43 and Tejun like this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

I consider this age-old "curse" to be multi-faceted. I cannot go anywhere without coming home with something dull in my jacket.

My wife dislikes our mall, but is a loyal shopper at The Boston Store. She parks close to the door, and that outlet has no door decal.

One of her favorite employees there gave me a very dull (and very cheap) pair of scissors. This goes into the "favor" column, but then, I have a lot of karma to pay off.

I get home, and my wife says, "Did you buy something at The Boston Store?" I answered in the negative, as I quit wearing women's cologne decades ago.

She gives me a confused look and says, "They moved my credit limit to 'VIP Level.' I haven't bought anything there in a week, myself."

Like I say, it's got to be karma...

So I advise the members of KT to learn how to polish. Not only will it shut that BIL of yours who claims to know everything, but perhaps your wife will drag out those old cook books and start feeding you delicious stuff at home!

It's not Einstein's "Theory of Relativity," it's just a wet rock.
Chuck43, MonoLake, Jflytle and 3 others like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

Iíd starve to death if my wife tried to drag out any cook book.
Chuck43, Tejun, PaulWVa and 1 others like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Chico (Bada Bing Cutlery) doesn't advertise it on the forum but he has something he calls "Life Sharp". Send him your knife and he polishes the blade, when it gets dull send it back and he redoes it for free. The first knives I ever got from him were a pair of "CRKT No Time Off" that he polished. I kept one and gave the other to my son. I swear I never knew a knife could be that sharp, the closest I've found to it would be a straight razor. I've lost track of when I got it but it's got to be over a year, I carry and use it everyday and it's still scary sharp.
PaulWVa, wayne and Wingnut like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #9

Wow!!! Give me his address and I’ll send him all my Wusthof kitchen knives.
I can just use my hunting knives for a while.
Chuck43, Tejun, PaulWVa and 1 others like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #10

I’m attempting to master the edge pro system. It can be very frustrating at times, but I’m still at it.
Chuck43 likes this.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote