Don't do this to your polisher! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Don't do this to your polisher!

Several gunsmiths have told me about deer hunters who bring broken rifles in the day before deer season--then get made when a part is back-ordered.

I have a good client. He wanted a multi-piece hunting knife (a knife that can attach to six differing blades) ordered today, 12-18-17, the last day Blue Ridge ships.

Not only will he get stung for "blue label," but I had to order a 90 dollar knife to push the total over 100 bucks for shipping.

I'm guessing the skinning knife with this set will be dull, so I'll be polishing Christmas Eve.

Polishing is not sharpening. It's several stones, pastes, paper, glass and the Zen calmness of a polisher who has just been jerked through a knot-hole.

...happens every year...
Ice-and-Snow likes this.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Several gunsmiths have told me about deer hunters who bring broken rifles in the day before deer season--then get made when a part is back-ordered.

I have a good client. He wanted a multi-piece hunting knife (a knife that can attach to six differing blades) ordered today, 12-18-17, the last day Blue Ridge ships.

Not only will he get stung for "blue label," but I had to order a 90 dollar knife to push the total over 100 bucks for shipping.

I'm guessing the skinning knife with this set will be dull, so I'll be polishing Christmas Eve.

Polishing is not sharpening. It's several stones, pastes, paper, glass and the Zen calmness of a polisher who has just been jerked through a knot-hole.

...happens every year...
Hey Chico - you mention glass as a medium for polishing. I use a 6"X 8"X 1" plate of bubble glass with cigar ash and water to polish my straight razors. It really works great!

I haven't tried it on my knives yet because I was thinking it would produce too delicate of an edge on a knife. If I use this glass and a 21 degree angle on my EDC knife - What are your thoughts?

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Glass, paper and paste will refine the edge--it does not weaken the edge or change the Rc rating.

However, the tiny microscopic "teeth" will be gone. Chuck wanted this knife as an EDC, and while remote, he might have to slice wet rope. He would need something more in the kirinaga range.

Now if you took a nikiri and pushed the edge to 3.2 million grit, that edge (usually 6 to 12 degrees) might be so thin that rapping it hard on a sturdy cutting board might roll the edge.

You're safe at 21 degrees. I have polished axes to that degree, and other than abuse, they don't chip.

But if this is a concern, don't go all the way to something like 500,000 grit. Go to 100,000 grit and strop the edge. Not only will it remove the burr, but it gives the edge a slight convex quality. Fans of that method call it "metal behind the edge," meaning that it will stand up to more rigorous use--like wilderness camping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakiri_b%C5%8Dch%C5%8D

Old 12-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

Thank You Chico - I'm very grateful for your response!

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote