Just got a surprise from Blue Ridge. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #1

Just got a surprise from Blue Ridge.

Last week I got a message from Blue Ridge that they could not guarantee orders placed after 12-18-17. I heard the same thing from UPS.

Then I get an e-mail from Blue Ridge this morning that says my order has been shipped. I found a knife design I had never seen on a folder, so I ordered one.

Many of you know that the Romans carried a short sword called a "gladius." They actually stole the design from the Greek xiphos, but who's splitting hairs.

The design is based on the premise that a stab is more deadly than a slice.

About two years ago USGladius came out with their own fixed version, supposedly crafted in the design by a doctor, I am not kidding.

The Japanese tanto tip is based on the same principle, and I have folders and fixed blades with that design. I do not want to carry a large fixed blade knife for daily use, my Guardian 4 is the perfect size.

So within a few days I will have a folding gladius. Worst case if I don't like it, I'll diamond polish it and send it to Doc.

(BTW, I had to step away from the computer for a bit, I found a flat spot on my EDC, right where the two bevels meet. Oh, well, the cobbler's children...)
Chuck43, Dude22, Jflytle and 1 others like this.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

I was all settled back, and the doorbell rang. It was the UPS currier, with all of my boxes of knives!

Most are sold or will be sold, but the gladius one is mine for now--because I cannot sell it in this condition. Oh, it's quite striking. If some guy pulled this in a bar, I'd be looking for a big gun. But considering all the hype over the steel, I was disappointed to find that the edge was dull, dull, dull.

It's called CTS-XHP. It has all the chromium of 440C with all the enhancers usually found in upscale kitchen knives. Maybe they figured that it's so deadly at stabbing, an edge wasn't needed. After all, I think TK magazine is out of production, so perhaps knife dueling has passed it's prime.

It's a huge knife, 5-inch handle, and a 4-inch blade. It has the biggest pocket clip I've ever seen. The guy who designed it has some savvy, it has a choil, and 2/3s of the blade from the pivot is full-width blade blank.

I'll tape it up and put the stones to it, just not today. The cold my wife gave me is worse, I have a cold sore on my lip the size of Marshall's confession penance, and I've never polished CTS-XHP so I do not know how difficult this truly is.

Hate to keep you guys in the dark, but seriously, I might have to get one for myself...

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/zda...elS-CTSXHP.htm
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Well, the knife is all taped and inked, and I'm ready to start tomorrow after I figure what stones I'll need to cut. Obviously, I'll have to shape it with a new 140 Atoma, but after that who knows. Being tired from a long day and catching my wife's cold replete with a cold sore, I began to daydream and then hallucinate. Suddenly, the visage of King Leonidas strode into my kitchen...

"That's a Greek knife," the king stormed.

"Roman, actually," I corrected, "It is copied from your earlier bronze Xiphos.

The monarch scoffed and unlimbered his spear, swinging it dangerously close to the dinner dishes.

"Hey, My Lord," I snapped, "Watch it, you almost broke the good china with that weapon!"

The King smirked, "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ..."

Then he got serious, "What do you call that knife?"

"It's called 'The Immortal'..."

At this Leonidas gave out a hearty laugh, "Well, we'll put that to the test!"

Then I realized I was standing alone in the kitchen, my hand in ice cold stone water...
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

First pass with the 140 Atoma.

Fairly straight, but a major grinding error right in front of the choil. If you double click on the picture you can see a small crescent right above the back of the bevel.

The knife is going to be flipped many times--this alloy is like granite! If I nibble a bit with each stone I think I can get (most of) it out.

001.JPG

Edit: I made a second pass and the grinding error is almost gone. If that is the case, it should be completely removed when the shaping is done. BTW, this edge will be 14 degrees, very much like a scalpel. But the metal is so tough I don't think it's going to break.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 12-20-2017 at 04:16 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

I haven's seen a Blue Ridge catalog in a while....
Chuck43 likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #6

Your posts are fascinating I need to stop reading them though, I already have enough diseases I DO NOT need to add knives!

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:17 AM   #7

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
I DO NOT need to add knives!
I don't either, in fact, I'm buying cheaper knives for personal use. The problem is--like the product or not--you have to keep studying the new arrivals. For all I know, "The Immortal" might be the knife of the year, and when that happens you cannot find inventory. I want to be ahead of the game a little.

Personally, I think this was a good move for Cold Steel. They seemed wedded to AUS8 and Krupps Steel. This new alloy is a big step up.

My only concern is that hobbyist guys might not have the right stones to repair or sharpen an alloy this tough. It might turn into something like a sports car that breaks something every week, so it gets parked.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #8

Interesting blade design, and I'm very interested in how the steel polishes.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
Interesting blade design, and I'm very interested in how the steel polishes.
Me, too. I've never polished this alloy. Then the next question, what do I do with it?

Lots of deer hunters here, not many knife duelers. I'm thinking a deployed soldier. Their stuff can get abused, and this alloy is tough.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

With the shape of the blade, I would have to fight the temptation to sharpen it as a spear point. Cold Steel seems to have locked on to this new steel and this design may do it justice, with a little Chico secret sauce.

My wife's new EDC, and x-Mas present showed up yesterday, a ZT-0450. She is out of town until Friday evening, so hoping to have enough time to clean up the edge. Also talked to Ken (the Enabler) about some new stones for my mid-range (3-6k) so hoping to get those on the road yet this week.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote