A couple of more for Vacation week - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jflytle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

A couple of more for Vacation week

These are a couple of knives I did early on, while I was still learning on the KME system. The Damascus fixed blade is Paki-Damascus and if I recall the listing correctly, it is supposed to be in the 200 fold range. Neither knife was horrible, in fact, the Buck had gone on a deer hunt with my son-in-law and they raved about the edge.

First the Damascus. While reasonably sharp, the bevel was not consistent, in fact it looks like I tried for a secondary bevel, which in all honesty did not work out as well as one might hope. Sorry, no progression of photo’s on this one, which may have been interesting.

I did take this all the way through 20k (0.5mic), with the whole process, reprofiling the bevel to finish, taking about 3.5 hours. I have some 0.1m CBN and new strops coming, so this one may be a candidate for taking further.

The only problem with this level of polishing, especially in Damascus, you can find the faults in the steel.

The Buck was simply dull from a couple of outings, a deer hunt with my son-in-law to see how the edge performed and then weekend work with me. I played with adding a secondary bevel this time, a simply 1degree shift on the last stones, the 10/15/20k polishing stones.

I have to say, I like the quality of the edge, which is very sharp. This blade is likely 30% thinner than the Damascus blade. My hope is that this helps the edge hold up better over time. Let’s be honest, this is not the best steel out there, so any help ...

Hmm, now I have to find something else to sharpen. Certainly not interested in going outside in this weather, if I can avoid it, though I do need my flattening plate that is out in the shop.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Jflytle; 12-28-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Jflytle is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads