Pile of Diversity - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Pile of Diversity

I mentioned in in Chico’s ‘Barge’ thread, I recently had an opportunity to pick up a small collection of relatively unused knives. This was a friend-of-a-friend who had bought them, really did not carry anything, as a practice and finally just wanted the cash more than the knives. So, a quick negotiation and the pile was mine, for less than the street value of the Zero Tolerance.

So the list is pretty straight forward:
- Zero Tolerance 0550BLK, very lightly used, factory edge
- Kershaw Hinderer(NIB), Rexford (NIB) and the little ones name escapes me
- Zancudo BRT, D2 steel (NIB) at the front of the pic
- Boker Tree (NIB)
- Electricians knife (NIB)
- 2 Case pocket knives (NIB)

The little Zancudo is very sharp (shave 3 day old beard sharp), right out of the packaging, though sadly, as the edge fades I will have to spend some time fixing the bevels. The clip side of the blade has a much wider/steeper bevel than the scales side. With D2, this will take some time, but I will definitely want to restore this to the factory sharpness, just with balanced bevel.

Now to go evaluate, oil and sharpen as appropriate. I know the ZT will need a new edge, and likely the little Kershaw. So, something to keep me busy on a cold weather weekend.
starnovi likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #2

Jflytle, I have boxes of Edge Pro stones I never use--all new and mounted--that would get your shaping done without destroying your good Schwartz stones.

Do you have a 1x6 fixture for stones that size? Send me a PM.

...oh, you'll need a deck of cards, too...
Jflytle likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Chico, Sadly I use the KME system, which uses 1”x4” stones, otherwise I would already be driving the hour up to your house (or mall)

Last edited by Jflytle; 01-06-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #4

No prob, but I have tons of stuff that make shaping easier. And it looks like you're going to learn all about polishing by "the sink or swim method."

Then again, my favorite Japanese togishi tried to dispel the idea that polishing is a "curse."

For example, Chuck is very concerned about his tips. In refining them, you use a "down and left/right" stroke, depending on the side you're on.

You should hear the phone calls I have with Ken or Rob Babcock. In the end I have to remind myself I am talking about wet rocks...
Old 01-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

Chico, I think I am less about the polish and more focused on a utilitarian, quality and refined edge. This may mean the same thing, but for different reasons.

I’ve been sharpening carving knives, chisel/plane blades, hand saws for years, but that is a very different process. All my shop edges are out to 10K stones, with micro bevels and stropped faces, but again for a very utilitarian purpose.

Strangely, I have only been moderately successful at attaining that same level of quality edge in pocket knives until recently, so now it’s about refining my process/skill/style and experimenting with different media and steels to see what happens. I can safely say that these ‘systems’, the Edge Pro, or KME, or Wicked Edge, all make it easy to get to a good, repeatable edge fairly quickly. Then it is a matter of, do you want to take it further and refine the edge to its best capability. I dont know if the means directly polishing, or merely results in a polished edge. Maybe the same thing.

Quite fun actually.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Jflytle
quality and refined edge...chisel/plane blades
Well, then the next time you drive to the Madison area, come and pick up this--or tell me where to ship it!

I used to do chisels, but primarily the chisel tip of knives made by The Graham Brothers, Josh and Jon. They made a knife at the time with a chisel-tip called, "The Razel." It was half razor and half chisel.

I haven't touched this in years. The gauge has a magnet on it to hold it to the fixture. And I even found the manual...

It's yours for the asking, guy, my wife hates clutter!

001.JPG

002.JPG
Chuck43 and Dude22 like this.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Wow, there’s a ‘gizmo’ from the past.

These days I hollow grind all chisel and plan blades on a Tormek wet, slow speed grinder, then through the Shaptons freehand, up to 10K, with a final strop on Poplar loaded with green rouge.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #8

I've never used a Tormek, I just don't "grind out" the volume that I used to.

Well, next stop, The Smithsonian Institute...

When I used to come home after a hard day of hunting the wooly mammoth, I'd find a few Razel Knives (and CRKT licensed copies) on my work area. No one knew how to get a knife at 90 degrees of a guided system. At that time, this little device was the only way to do it.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #9

US Postal cam through and finally delivered a few new tools for the kit, and a new test subject, a Cold Steel Mini Lawman, in the CTS-XHP steel that Chico featured recently.

The two new stones are in the upper end of the scale, with the Guangxi stone rating around 8k and the Russian Jasper rating in the 10-12k scale.

I need to finish the new edge on my Boker Magnum (440C) EDC and then I should be able to put the new Lawman in the clamp. The factory edge is rolled and the nose has little(no) edge to it. Definitely needs some attention to bring out wha this steel is capable of.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #10

In the event that anyone should hand you a knife with a D2 blade, take it. Sharpen it properly. Enjoy.

The little Zancudo (means Misquito) BRT is a D2 blade. I’ve done a few D2’s now, notably my sons Benchmade Griptillion, which he uses (beats) hard at work (wires locomotives). This steel holds up, and with this little knife, am even more impressed with how well it takes/holds an edge.

You will earn your pay sharpening this tool steel, but, with patience and the right progression through he stones you will get a solid performer. This one, out of the box was beard-shaving sharp, but the bevel was lop-sided. One side was in the 5-10* range while the other was over 20*. Sharp but ugly. I have it balanced now, but the reverse side from this pic will require some TLC, over time (use).

I took this edge through the KME Diamond hones, to 1500 grit, then progressed through the Belgian and Chinese Bluestones, Baikalite and then thought he Suehiro 10/15/20k stones. Edge is outstanding, and with the D2, I expect it to hold up very well.
Chuck43 likes this.