Will this be a nightmare to sharpen? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #1

Will this be a nightmare to sharpen?

This knife meets several of my criteria, but I’m unsure about the shape of the blade. Notice the “reverse arc.” Maybe there’s a real word for it. But it seems that it would be a challenge to put an edge on it with my flat stones. Should I pass on this? What do you experienced sushi slicers think?

https://emersonknives.com/shop/knive...ves/commander/
Chuck43, Jflytle and Hoffbrew like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

The blade is called a recurve I think, my zero tolerance has the same blade. I've yet to sharpen it yet. It held its edge pretty good . I think the tourist would give the best advice.
Chuck43 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:28 AM   #3

No, not a big problem. I had one just like it.

In those days I did not have have-size stones. I just inked the blade, picked a stone and made a light pass. You will find that the stone touches the bevel slightly different along the path.

Pick a setting that follows about 2/3s of the bevel, and polish like any other knife.

Work slowly, and move up the ladder of gradation slowly. First a shaping stone then a 220 or 300, than a 600, and so on.

If you're having a bad time, send me your address to my PM. I have scads of 1/2 size stones, and I'll send you a spectrum for the re-curve portion. The belly sharpens just like a straight bevel.

Remember, slowly. I'm great at taking off metal, but not so good at gluing it back on...
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 AM   #4

Whhat stones would you suggest to use just to get the sharp edge back. I have a zero tolerance with the recurve blade and I'm about to buy a edge pro system.
Chuck43 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 AM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
Whhat stones would you suggest to use just to get the sharp edge back. I have a zero tolerance with the recurve blade and I'm about to buy a edge pro system.
Then Ben Dale will usually send you a 120, a 220, a 320 and either a 1000 or a 1200. You should also ask him for polishing papers of various grit sizes and a glass mount.

Now you're a sharpener.

However, from there you will need Ken Schwartz. He has the best stones fabulous stacks of money can buy. And like the rest of us, you can live with one kidney...

Ken is at 209-612-2790
Chuck43, Jflytle and 427malibu like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #6

Damn it, Chico!
I was hoping that you would tell me that recurves were awful and to never get one. After vacillating and looking for excuses not to get one, you tell me that it's not a big deal to care for the edge.

Arrrrrgh!!! I could no longer withstand the temptation, and just ordered one. To me, the Emerson name carries a bit of panache, and I've wanted one for a long time. They only make two left handed models, the Commander and another liner-lock with a tanto blade. They're not always in stock, but they just finished a run.

If you have a few half stones that you think would work well on this blade, let's make a deal.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 01-11-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #7

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Damn it, Chico! I was hoping that you would tell me that recurves were awful and to never get one.
LOL, just remember, the whole magilla of this craft is soaking a wet rock. You do a few re-curves and the process comes easier.

(Projects come and go. Right now I'm having a love affair with flipper tantos. I'm not giving up over-priced, substandard coffee for a few bangers who need some "cred scars." Besides, after re-reading things about the gladius, I decided to update the wheel).

Send me your address PM. I got stuff...
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #8

What do the homeboys have against bad coffee? Maybe a nice round of chai tea will help reestablish their zen groove.

I've never used a "flipper" or a "wave," but it's clear that I've been left behind, so I'm giving it a try.

If the chai doesn't work, get yourself a few throwing stars.

PM is on its way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throwingstar.jpg (362.1 KB, 3 views)
Chuck43, The Tourist and Jflytle like this.

Join the NRA
Old 01-13-2018, 03:30 AM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
What do the homeboys have against bad coffee?
The Barnes and Nobel where we go does not have a decal on any of their doors. It's Madison, remember. Only the bangers can carry because to limit them in any way is racist. Without the decal, citizens can carry, too.

And as for switchblades, our governor signed a bill stating that anyone over 21 years old "who also qualifies to buy a handgun" can carry a switchblade, too.

I have my own table. Back to the wall, and I can see all three exits.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #10

The downside of switchblades, at least the more common ones made in dirt floored huts by unshod knife makers in shithole countries, is that after you carry it around for six months in your saggy pants, the action becomes jammed with gummy bears and Cheetos crumbs, and it fails to open when called upon.

I figured that if I'm gonna become a recurve artist, I needed to up my game. Last night I soaked my stones and put them to task on my favorite EDC. Toward the end, every stroke of the stone was purposeful and deliberate--it had meaning. My "mirror" had a couple dull spots where I could have gone back, but that would have meant taking off more metal when it wasn't entirely necessary. I'll get that area next time. The finished edge is pleasing.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA