Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By RustyIron
  • 4 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

New Emerson

I've wanted a real Emerson for many years, but never really felt the need to buy one until a couple days ago. I've always wanted the CQC7, but I already have that exact design by another maker. The Emerson Commander caught my eye, with a blade shape that might be more useful for everyday chores. And a good liner lock is dead nuts reliable. I'm a little skeptical of the wave feature, but everybody and his dog is incorporating fancy opening features, so I'll give it a try. And the make-or-break feature of the knife is that it's a lefty. I MUST have a leftie.

Since Emerson is just across town, it arrived today. Sweeeeet! So initial impression is that the checkering is more aggressive than I thought. That's good, I suppose, but I expect it will eventually smooth down a little. It's a little blemished on one side, which would be a bummer if it was going to be a safe queen. But an Emerson isn't a safe queen to begin with, and I'm sure she'll get more blemishes through use and riding in my pocket.

At first I thought the edge was poorly executed. It's way asymmetrical, with hardly any bevel on the right. But then it occurred to me that this might be intentional. I LIKE a chisel grind, and this might be sort of a hybrid. Thoughts on this? Is it the way it's supposed to be?

Next I had to play with the "wave." It seems to work ok from my front pocket. Since I've never done this before, I flubbed it up once, and instinctively reached for the thumb stud, and before I knew it, the red stuff was leaking out. Shit! (If Trump can say that, so can I). It was just a knick, but a bummer nevertheless. What made it worse was when my wife walked into the kitchen and asked if I cut myself--she spotted the blood trail when I was looking for a rag.

The wave feature works in the front pocket, and if it works in the back, I haven't figured it out yet. The problem is I sometimes carry a pistol in the front. I think most of the time the knife will go in the back pocket and be used waveless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5745b.jpg (355.6 KB, 8 views)
Chuck43, Dude22, 2sharp2 and 4 others like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 01-16-2018 at 07:23 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2018, 02:27 AM   #2

I had one just like it. You cannot break it with a stick. That's the problem with those Emersons, you get to depend on them.

Mine is the Emerson "Tuxedo," a little fancy-schmancy for cutting a Subway, but, oh, what a knife...

You'll love yours!
Chuck43, Dude22, RustyIron and 1 others like this.