Wingnut's Knife - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

Wingnut's Knife

Ya' know, you can evaluate a knife under a lighted loupe' for a day or two, but sooner or later you have to "put the needle on the record."

I thought the tip was bad, yikes, it was the heel!

Not only was there a slight "bow" about 1.5 inches ahead of the heel or the ricasso (you can still see a slight concave curvature) but it looked like someone beat the collet to which the handle is attached. The first half inch of the blade and collet had a wavy grind mark. Like someone was bumping a mechanical grinding wheel.

It's not all out yet, but it's coming. Compare the back of the knife edge to the front. The front width is from my first cuts, and that's when I found the problems at the back.

Now, overall, this is minor. An Atoma 140, a little water, a lot of elbow grease and we'll have a straight line. I have already re-shaped the tip with the obsidian brick and got a nice point. Time will tell if I need to re-shape it again with I make the front edge uniform to the back.

I'll be tied up tomorrow, so I'll do a bit of shaping this afternoon and then begin the full-house treatment on Wednesday.

001.JPG
Chuck43, MonoLake, Jflytle and 1 others like this.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

Like someone was bumping a mechanical grinding wheel.

I was wondering when you would find that. As I mentioned in an earlier post I fell for the hype of the Chefs Choice knive sharpener awhile back and found out real quick how badly those things tear up a knife. I have 5 more just like it.

Last edited by Wingnut; 02-12-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Like someone was bumping a mechanical grinding wheel...I have 5 more just like it.
Technically, I have five more just like it...
Wingnut likes this.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #4

After a weird week, I'm back to work.

Today I want to shape some of the right side of Wingnut's knife from the middle of the blank to the tip. Just enough to see if there are any more spots.

Then I want to flip the knife and do the left side from the grip to the middle of the blank, and see if that hollow is deep on both sides.

I hate wasting metal, and perhaps there's more steel on the left side. By carefully choosing spots that do not mirror the right side hollow, I might be able to make it uniform with routine shaping.

Wish me luck.
MonoLake and Wingnut like this.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

I re-inked the entire blade and made a light pass on the left side. The only bad thing I found was that the left side is not the same angle of degrees as the right side. If that's the worst thing, then I'm in like a porch climber.

There will be ample metal to true up both sides, make lighter strokes on the right side and firmer strokes on the left.

001.JPG
Chuck43, Dude22, RustyIron and 1 others like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 02-17-2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

After two days--and a litany of carnal Sicilian epithets which we cannot print within a family oriented forum--I have finished shaping Wingnut's knife.

Sadly, there is still a slight bow in the first 1.5 inches of the right hand side near bolster/handle. But it's less than before and you really have to look. When polished I doubt you will feel a change in the slicing drag.

I did attack this bow from the left side, running the Atoma 140 east and west over the spot. My thinking here was to keep the left side straight while I wear down the high right side areas. Yes, it worked, I would guess about 75% to the good.

Next is the 220 black Nubatama, and perhaps something in the 600 to 800 grit area after that.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:23 AM   #7

This has been a terrible week. An oral exam by my dentist, my wife's reaction to allergy shots, two rush jobs (fortunately one was a Japanese knife, which for me is like driving a Lamborghini) and days of cold, bitter temperatures an rain.

But it's a new week. All I have on my work area in Wingnut's knife and all the time in the world to fix problems. I might even sneak in a nice warm nap...
Chuck43, Dude22, Jflytle and 1 others like this.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

Well, I can see why Wingnut dinged the knives so easily, and why I'm having trouble getting the blade to shine.

Below is a picture of an old Edge Pro stone in the 600 to 800 grit range. It's a good transitional stone for work like this, and it should leave a muted finish, like a stainless steel refrigerator door.

This "swarf" is from one side of his knife. If you think it looks like mud, you win the prize. I would have never have guessed the metal was so soft.

...in for a penny...

001.JPG
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #9

Well, the dings are out, the knife actually has a tip, and the bevels are uniform and sharp.

I put the last stone away--now we polish...
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 AM   #10

Considering the past week, I'm lucky to be this far!

When my wife said she was going in for "allergy shots," I figured one or two. I did not figure 16 on one day.

Then yesterday she drops the other shoe. There are 7 weeks of these multiple doses. Fortunately, I know how to make coffee, and our Subway shop is two blocks from my house.

Oh, it just keeps getting better. Today she goes to see her mother. My dad was right, marry the woman and you get the whole damn family...

On the bright side, I like Subway and I'll have lots of time to work on Wingnut's knife.
Chuck43 likes this.