Was anyone working Q/C that day? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Was anyone working Q/C that day?

I'm working on Wingnut's knife, but sometimes you just stand around waiting for a stone to soak or ink to dry. I usually just get out another knife and fill time with that.

As you know, I like the Ruger Compact. I have a few in inventory. So I went through them, and found the worst of the worst. My first thought was decidedly evil--and a felony in most states. Then I figured, why destroy Kurobikari San on slicing food (or bangers) at the mall?

All it had to do was cut, and then the cops would take it.

As you can see from the pictures, the bevels were way off in size and shape, and the liner-lock was all the way over on the blade. No way I would sell this thing to a client.

So, while the ink dried on Wingnut's knife, I took out an Atoma shaping stone and simply trued up the bevels. They were never going to be the same size, nor did I care. This was going to be a beater.

Then I took the black 220 Nubatama and flipped the knife a few times making lighter and lighter strokes. Took off the burr, and got in the "scary sharp" range, good enough for a Subway sandwich or a banger's femoral artery.

By the time I was done, the ink on Wingnut's knife was dry...

001.JPG

003.JPG
MonoLake and Jflytle like this.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

I was using a hard 2000 blue speckled on Wingnut's knife when I got home from the coffee shop. I happened to check the tanto edge of my new Compact, The Shiroi Kotaku San.

Yikes, it was dull!

Since the stone was soaked and on the fixture, I polished down the edge two flips. Both edges are now dangerous and the point is wicked!

...and back to Wingnut's knife...